Close

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    DF VIP Member
    Lou_smorals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,192
    Thanks
    681
    Thanked:        544
    Karma Level
    381

    Default Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Hi
    Well, I have never said this before and probably never again, I watched last nights Sky pay per view offer and don't feel I have been rinsed. What great value for money that offer was, from 5.30pm till half past midnight was pretty much non stop quality boxing, lots of title fights, lots for quality boxing, with maybe only two exceptions fights that could have went either way.
    its on again today at 9am and I think 4pm, definitly worth a watch, especially Dillian White vs Chisora and the Buglioni fight. I love how Shannon Briggs turns up for all these things now...lol.
    Great night.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

    Thanks to Lou_smorals

    Bald Bouncer (11th December 2016) 


  2. #2
    DF VIP Member Bald Bouncer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,556
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked:        5,269
    Karma Level
    1219

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Agreed it was a very good show with probably the best undercard I have seen on a main event in the UK

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    For All The Latest Console News, Views & Reviews
    He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither -*Benjamin Franklin


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Thanks to Bald Bouncer

    Lou_smorals (11th December 2016) 


  3. #3
    DF PwNagE Geko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,971
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked:        1,281
    Karma Level
    559

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Whilst there were some good fighters on the card. There was only the two competitive fights and one of those was Frank Buglioni who I wouldn't pay to watch at York Hall, let alone at home. Hopefully, with the Klitschko fight now lined up, AJ will concentrate on unifying the rest of the belts which means we will see him fight Parker, Wilder and hopefully the Furies, in the next 2 or 3 years.

  4. #4
    DF VIP Member
    Lou_smorals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,192
    Thanks
    681
    Thanked:        544
    Karma Level
    381

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Hi
    only two competative fights?
    Chisora v whyte
    Buglioni v Burton
    Katie Taylor v Viviane Obenauf
    Callum Smith v Blackledge
    Conception v Yafai
    Quig v Cayetano

    which of those were not "competative"?
    I accept Molina was shit as was Nigel Benns lads opponent.
    cheers
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

    Thanks to Lou_smorals

    Bald Bouncer (11th December 2016) 


  5. #5
    DF PlaYa trueblue924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    yorkshire
    Posts
    928
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked:        131
    Karma Level
    234

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    must admit this was the first ppv i had paid for in a long time as there looked to be some great fights and it didnt let you down, does piss me off that ajs was the main event, the fight was a joke everyone knew it before the fight, but the other fights definetly made up for it, cant see there being a ppv like it again for a while.

    2 Thanks given to trueblue924

    Bald Bouncer (11th December 2016), Lou_smorals (11th December 2016) 


  6. #6
    DF PwNagE Geko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,971
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked:        1,281
    Karma Level
    559

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    only two competative fights?
    Chisora v whyte
    Buglioni v Burton

    Katie Taylor v Viviane Obenauf
    Callum Smith v Blackledge
    Conception v Yafai
    Quig v Cayetano

    which of those were not "competative"?
    I accept Molina was shit as was Nigel Benns lads opponent.
    cheers
    LS
    Okay. Three were competitive. The others were mismatches. Just because they lasted a few rounds doesn't make them competitive.

    Katie Taylor took about 3 punches. Callum Smith took ages to dispatch Luke Blackledge, but it was completely one sided. Scott Quigg's opponent had pillows for hands.

  7. #7
    DF VIP Member Bald Bouncer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,556
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked:        5,269
    Karma Level
    1219

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Okay. Three were competitive. The others were mismatches. Just because they lasted a few rounds doesn't make them competitive.

    Katie Taylor took about 3 punches. Callum Smith took ages to dispatch Luke Blackledge, but it was completely one sided. Scott Quigg's opponent had pillows for hands.
    Don't agree on paper they weren't mismatches, Quig v Cayetano was a fair comeback match up after being out for a year after the Frampton loss and Cayetano is far from a journeyman and gave it his all, Callum Smith v Blackledge I believe he was the number one contender for the British title and he gave everything he had it was just Callum Smith holds a domestic title when really he's world level, Katie Taylor v Viviane Obenauf she had only one defeat and this was only Katie Taylor's 2nd pro fight, the best fight of the night Chisora v whyte you would have a better claim of being a mismatch.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    For All The Latest Console News, Views & Reviews
    He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither -*Benjamin Franklin


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  8. #8
    DF PwNagE Geko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,971
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked:        1,281
    Karma Level
    559

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    the best fight of the night Chisora v whyte you would have a better claim of being a mismatch.
    Why?

    Two Domestic level fighters going together

  9. #9
    DF VIP Member Bald Bouncer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,556
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked:        5,269
    Karma Level
    1219

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Why?

    Two Domestic level fighters going together
    Derek Chisora has 6 defeats on his record Dillian Whyte has 1, are you referring to mismatch after the reality of the contest as they can only match on paper, record and mandatory challenger the fight is the reality which often does not live up to the expectations.
    Last edited by Bald Bouncer; 11th December 2016 at 06:34 PM.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    For All The Latest Console News, Views & Reviews
    He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither -*Benjamin Franklin


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  10. #10
    DF PwNagE Geko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,971
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked:        1,281
    Karma Level
    559

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Derek Chisora has 6 defeats on his record Dillian Whyte has 1, are you referring to mismatch after the reality of the contest as they can only match on paper, record and mandatory challenger the fight is the reality which often does not live up to the expectations.
    Is_there_an_issue_with_the_site?
    Space_doesn't work all the time when replying.

    Back to the topic. I would never rate a boxer on his win/loss record. I look at who they have fought. I knew it was going to be a close fight and I felt like Whyte would win it. I didn't think it would be that close admittedly. But they are very similar in skillset in my opinion.

    I don't understand this comment - 'are you referring to mismatch after the reality of the contest'. Which one are you referring to? Because I think Whyte Vs Chisora was a decent fight even before last night. I also thought the same about Kal Yafai. I wasn't looking forward to the others, but was hoping Callum Smith would dispatch of Luke within 2 rounds.

  11. #11
    DF VIP Member Bald Bouncer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,556
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked:        5,269
    Karma Level
    1219

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Is_there_an_issue_with_the_site?
    Space_doesn't work all the time when replying.

    Back to the topic. I would never rate a boxer on his win/loss record. I look at who they have fought. I knew it was going to be a close fight and I felt like Whyte would win it. I didn't think it would be that close admittedly. But they are very similar in skillset in my opinion.

    I don't understand this comment - 'are you referring to mismatch after the reality of the contest'. Which one are you referring to? Because I think Whyte Vs Chisora was a decent fight even before last night. I also thought the same about Kal Yafai. I wasn't looking forward to the others, but was hoping Callum Smith would dispatch of Luke within 2 rounds.
    Then you lost me, if Dylan Whyte had taken Chisora out in the first round or if the lazy can't be arsed Chisora had turned up would it have then been a mismatch? on paper it was a good lineup and I thought most of the fights competitive and my point about the Chisora vs Whyte matchup was that it was as valid if not less so of a match up than all the others, apart from the Joshua fight I didn't see any fighters turning up to just make up the numbers and they all gave everything they had.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    For All The Latest Console News, Views & Reviews
    He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither -*Benjamin Franklin


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Thanks to Bald Bouncer

    4me2 (13th December 2016) 


  12. #12
    DF PlaYa Rhinoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    814
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked:        289
    Karma Level
    105

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Whyte and Chisora had me on the edge of my seat, no idea which way that fight was going to go, I enjoyed it more than the one sided AJ v Molina.

    AJ'S a cracking fighter but Molina's tactics just seemed negative.

    Thanks to Rhinoz

    Lou_smorals (11th December 2016) 


  13. #13
    DF PwNagE Geko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,971
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked:        1,281
    Karma Level
    559

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Then you lost me, if Dylan Whyte had taken Chisora out in the first round or if the lazy can't be arsed Chisora had turned up would it have then been a mismatch? on paper it was a good lineup and I thought most of the fights competitive and my point about the Chisora vs Whyte matchup was that it was as valid if not less so of a match up than all the others, apart from the Joshua fight I didn't see any fighters turning up to just make up the numbers and they all gave everything they had.
    I thought it would be a competitive fight before hand. If Whyte knocked him out in 2 or 3, I'd have been surprised. But that's not unusual in the HeavyWeight division is it..!

    I think Dave Allen gets paid to get beaten up, if I'm honest...! He didn't turn up to win.




    I think I am just going to have to agree to disagree.

  14. #14
    DF Jedi BigBrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK.
    Posts
    4,024
    Thanks
    1,359
    Thanked:        1,564
    Karma Level
    375

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Paying for PPV

  15. #15
    DF VIP Member Bald Bouncer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,556
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked:        5,269
    Karma Level
    1219

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I thought it would be a competitive fight before hand. If Whyte knocked him out in 2 or 3, I'd have been surprised. But that's not unusual in the HeavyWeight division is it..!

    I think Dave Allen gets paid to get beaten up, if I'm honest...! He didn't turn up to win.




    I think I am just going to have to agree to disagree.
    I'm not disagreeing it's how you saw it I just didn't see it the way you did and was somewhat confused as to if you saw fights beforehand as a mismatch or after, I think a bit unfair on Dave Allen he had only lost one before that fight to Dillian Whyte although he is without a stable atm after leaving ingles and that fight was too early for him.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    For All The Latest Console News, Views & Reviews
    He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither -*Benjamin Franklin


    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  16. #16
    DF PwNagE Geko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,971
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked:        1,281
    Karma Level
    559

    Default Re: Boxing - last nights pay per view (AJ vs Melina)

    I pay no attention to their loss records any more.

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •