Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

RIP Ex-Wham singer George Michael dies

Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.
    The star, who launched his career with Wham in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".
    Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT.
    Police say there were no suspicious circumstances.

Source
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Ex-Wham singer George Michael dies

Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.
    The star, who launched his career with Wham in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".
    Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT.
    Police say there were no suspicious circumstances.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ex-Wham singer George Michael dies

Just heard it. Sad news

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Gobsmacked at the news. Such a talent. RIP George baby

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just seen this pop up on my news app. Such sad news he was very entertaining to say the least
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you for all the great School discos and all the wonderful star struck girls I managed to snog whilst swaying to Careless whisper

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

cyprus (27th December 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think his love for gobbling down random cocks did him in
    Shame - no age at all is 53

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ex-Wham! singer George Michael dies

• 6 minutes ago
    • From the section UK

Image copyright PA Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.
    The star, who launched his career with Wham! in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".
    Police say they were treating the death as unexplained but there were no suspicious circumstances.
    In a statement, the star's publicist said: "It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period.
    "The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage."
    Treatment for pneumonia

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London, sold more than 100m albums throughout a career spanning almost four decades.
    He first found fame with his schoolfriend Andrew Ridgeley in duo Wham! before going on to release solo albums, including the multi-million selling Faith and follow-up Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1.
    A life in pictures
    It outsold Faith in the UK but led to Michael losing a court case with record label Sony over his frustration over how the album has been marketed.
    Image copyright PA Image caption George Michael and Andrew Ridgely first found fame with Wham! in the 1980s Image copyright PA Earlier this month it was announced that producer and songwriter Naughty Boy was working with Michael on a new album.
    In 2011, Michael postponed a series of concerts after being taken to hospital for treatment for pneumonia.
    After treatment in a Vienna hospital, he made a tearful appearance outside his London home and said it had been "touch and go" whether he lived.
    Doctors were said to have performed a tracheotomy to keep his airways open and he was unconscious for some of his spell in hospital.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    I think his love for gobbling down random cocks did him in
    Not long left for your missus then Prezzy lad

2 Thanks given to I Black Belt

piggzy (27th December 2016),  prezzy (26th December 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Spectacular:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sad news indeed. We have lost some of the biggest music legends this year including David Bowie, Prince and Rick Parfitt. Been a hell of a year. Lost 8 people I know personally in the last 4 weeks including my father in law and my uncle. None of them due to the winter weather either. Don't know if I should be looking forward to 2017 or dreading it. Will have to get a new white shirt if this carries on because I'm quickly wearing the collar out on this one. (">

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I wouldn't have had him in my Deadpool 2017.

Been a bad year for celebs leaving this mortal coil

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News George Michael: Tributes for pop superstar

Tributes have poured in from across the world for singer George Michael, who has died at his home at the age of 53.
    Former Wham! bandmate Andrew Ridgeley said he was "heartbroken at the loss of my beloved friend", while Sir Elton John mourned a "brilliant artist".
    Paul Young, who performed on the Band Aid hit Do They Know it's Christmas? with Michael, told the BBC his voice "cuts straight through your heart".
    Michael's publicist said he had died peacefully at his Oxfordshire home.
    His manager, Michael Lippman, said the singer had died of heart failure.

The star had "passed away peacefully" on Christmas Day in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, Michael's publicist said in a statement.
    "It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period," the statement said.
    "The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time."
    'Deep shock'

Scores of celebrities and fans have taken to social media to pay tribute to the pop star.
    Writing on Twitter and referring to Michael by his family nickname of "Yog", Ridgeley said: "Me, his loved ones, his friends, the world of music, the world at large. 4ever loved. A xx"
    On Instagram, Sir Elton John posted "I am in deep shock.
    "I have lost a beloved friend - the kindest, most generous soul and a brilliant artist. My heart goes out to his family and all of his fans."
    Madonna posted a video on social media of herself presenting Michael with an award in 1989, and wrote: "Another Great Artist leaves us."
    Robbie Williams, whose first solo single was a cover of Michael's song Freedom, wrote: "Oh God no …I love you George …Rest In Peace x".
    Boy George wrote: "He was so loved and I hope he knew it because the sadness today is beyond words. Devastating.
    "What a beautiful voice he had and his music will live on as a testament to his talent. I can't believe he is gone. I hope the Buddha will hold him in his arms."
    South Central Ambulance Service were called to Michael's property at 13:42 GMT on Christmas Day. Thames Valley Police also attended and Michael was confirmed dead at the scene.
    They added: "At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious. A post-mortem will be undertaken in due course. "
    A small heart wreath and a rose are among the tributes left outside the front door of Michael's Goring home, a detached property by the River Thames.
    Court battle

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London, sold more than 100 million albums throughout a career spanning almost four decades.
    He first found fame with schoolfriend Ridgeley in duo Wham! - reaching number one in the UK singles chart on four occasions. One of the band's most enduring songs, Last Christmas, is currently number 16 in the UK singles chart.
    The song was originally released in 1984 and is the biggest selling single not to reach number one.
    It was kept off the chart's top spot by Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas, which actually featured Michael.
    Solo albums followed, including the multi-million selling Faith in 1987.
    The follow-up Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 outsold Faith in the UK but led to Michael losing a court case with record label Sony over his frustration at how the album had been marketed.

From teen idol to long-term stardom

His talents as a singer, songwriter and music producer made George Michael one of the world's biggest-selling artists.
    Blessed with good looks and a fine singing voice, his stage presence made him a favourite on the live concert circuit as he matured from teen idol to long-term stardom.
    But there were times when his battle with drugs and encounters with the police made lurid headlines that threatened to eclipse his musical talents.

As a solo artist, Michael scored a further seven number one singles in the UK with songs including Careless Whisper and Fastlove, collaborated with the likes of Aretha Franklin and Elton John, and won three Brit Awards and two Grammys.
    Michael also faced headlines for reasons other than his music.
    After years of refusing to be drawn on his sexuality, Michael disclosed he was gay in 1998 after being arrested in a public toilet in Beverly Hills, California, for engaging in a lewd act.
    The music video for the single that followed, Outside, featured a men's bathroom transformed into a disco and policemen kissing.
    In October 2006 he pleaded guilty to driving while unfit through drugs, and in 2008 was cautioned for possession of class A drugs, including crack coca1ne.
    In September 2010, Michael received an eight-week prison sentence following an incident in which he crashed his Range Rover into a shop in north London. He admitted driving under the influence of drugs and possessing cannabis.

George Michael's UK number one singles

• Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (with Wham!) - 1984
    • Freedom (with Wham!) - 1984
    • Careless Whisper - 1984
    • I'm Your Man (with Wham!) - 1985
    • The Edge of Heaven (with Wham!) - 1986
    • A Different Corner - 1986
    • I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (with Aretha Franklin) - 1987
    • Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (with Elton John) - 1991
    • Five Live EP (with Queen and Lisa Stansfield) - 1993
    • Jesus To A Child - 1996
    • Fastlove - 1996

In 2011, Michael postponed a series of concerts after being taken to hospital for treatment for pneumonia.
    After treatment in a Vienna hospital, he made a tearful appearance outside his London home and said it had been "touch and go" whether he lived.
    The experience inspired the single White Light, which was his last Top 40 hit in 2012, and which he performed at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympics in London.
    Earlier this month it was announced that producer and songwriter Naughty Boy was working with Michael on a new album.
    Michael had also recently been working on a documentary chronicling his rise to fame with Wham! and made a direct appeal on Twitter to his fans, asking them to send in their own videos and photographs dating from 1988 to 1996.
    The documentary film entitled Freedom was originally expected to be released this year but was recently delayed until next March.

How George Michael inspired Carpool Karaoke phenomenon

In 2011, George Michael joined James Corden for a Comic Relief sketch on BBC One which went on to inspire the hugely successful Carpool Karaoke segments on Corden's Late Late Show on CBS.
    The feature is now a staple of the American chat show, with stars such as Madonna and Michelle Obama having appeared, and attracts huge online audiences.
    The original sketch began with Corden poking fun at Michael and ended with the pair singing along to Wham!'s I'm Your Man.
    Corden said: "I've loved George Michael for as long as I can remember. He was an absolute inspiration. Always ahead of his time."

What are your memories of George Michael? Did you meet him? You can share your experience by emailing haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk.
    Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

Last edited by Mickey; 26th December 2016 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News George Michael's philanthropy comes to light after his death

Tales of George Michael's philanthropy have come to light in the wake of his death - including how he funded a couple's IVF treatment.
    Former Deal or No Deal producer Richard Osman, who now co-presents Pointless, told how one contestant's partner had said she needed £15,000 for treatment.
    The next day the singer phoned in to donate the money, Osman tweeted.
    Other stories of Michael's benevolence, including a £50,000 Sport Relief donation, have emerged on social media.
    In a string of tweets celebrating Michael's music and humour, comedian and author David Walliams tweeted that the star had supported his 2006 cross-Channel swim to the tune of £50,000.
    Osman tweeted in the hours following news that Michael had been found dead at his home in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, on Christmas Day, aged 53.
    The presenter wrote: "A woman on 'Deal Or No Deal' told us she needed £15k for IVF treatment.
    "George Michael secretly phoned the next day and gave her the £15k."
    The beneficiary was later reported to be Lynette Gillard, 38, from Bolton, whose partner Steve Davies had appeared on the show in 2008.
    'Restores your faith'

She told the Telegraph: "For many years I wondered who would have been so generous and now I know. What more can I say other than 'Thank you George'."
    At the time, in 2008, Mr Davies had told the Manchester Evening News: "Thank you is not enough. It restores your faith in humankind.
    "All the bad news you read about and then something like this happens."
    Michael's donations ranged in scope from major charities and appeals to individual acts of kindness.
    The proceeds from sales of Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me, his 1991 live duet with Sir Elton John, were donated to HIV and children's charities, including the Terence Higgins Trust.
    It tweeted: "Thank you to George Michael for all he did for the LGBT community and to educate about HIV. RIP George."
    Children's charities

Wham! royalties from Last Christmas went to Ethiopian famine relief efforts, while the founder of the children's helpline charity Childline, Dame Esther Rantzen, said Michael had donated proceeds from the song Jesus to a Child to the cause.
    Children's charities were also at the fore when he donated each year to Capital Radio's appeal.
    Former presenter Mick Brown tweeted: "Every Easter at Capital when I was on air with Chris Tarrant for help a London child, George would call in at 3.30pm with a £100,000 donation."
    He also suffered the loss of his mother to cancer in 1997 and in 2006 played a special, free concert at the Roundhouse in Camden, north London, for NHS nurses to thank them for their care.
    And he gave his time to Macmillan Cancer Support as one of their ambassadors.
    Alongside major charities, individuals on Twitter shared their accounts of his kindness.
    £5,000 tip

Journalist Sali Hughes said: "I wrote in a piece ages ago about a celeb I'd worked with tipping a barmaid £5k because she was a student nurse in debt. Was George Michael."
    And Emilyne Mondo said he had worked anonymously at a homeless shelter where she volunteered.
    Michael's partner Fadi Fawaz, says he found the singer dead when he went to his home in Goring on Christmas Day.
    He told the Telegraph: "We were supposed to be going for Christmas lunch.
    "I went round there to wake him up and he was just gone, lying peacefully in bed. We don't know what happened yet.
    Climbing the charts

"George was looking forward to Christmas, and so was I. Now everything is ruined.
    "I want people to remember him the way he was - he was a beautiful person."
    Meanwhile, Michael's albums and singles have been climbing the charts since his death.
    On iTunes, Ladies & Gentlemen became the number one album and Careless Whisper went to 12 in the singles chart.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News