Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech New setup help/advice needed

As some members know both my parents both sadly passed away in September, it's not easy but i'm slowly coming to terms with it.

I've inherited their house and i am slowly renovating it and hope to move in soon, probably in January, i need advice on a satellite setup.

They already have a satellite system with which they used to watch Italian TV, so i think it's aimed 13 degrees east at Hotbird, i'm not interested in RAI anymore i want a British setup so i assume the dish needs to be moved to 28.2 east?

I'm hoping to ditch Sly etc, i'll just get a broadband only deal from someone for my internet, so i need advice on what kind of receiver i will need to get my TV via satellite, the receiver needs to have a recording facility of some kind, or is there an integrated TV receiver that will suit my needs? can anyone advise please?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New setup help/advice needed

Hi
    Sorry to hear about your tragic loss. I don't want to be a satbore but all the satellites are on the clarke belt so facing TRUE south (not magnetic south) you need to move 13degreees east of true south for hotbird, 19.2 degrees east for Astra and 28.2 east of south for Sky and many more such as 1 deg west of south, 5 deg east etc.
    Personally if you dont want to pay Murdochs mob I would stay on Hotbird or Astra 19deg and do a CS thing. many channels still work doing this and if you have a decent box you can easily change audio channel back to English as most of the films and tv series are just dubbed anyway. You can get live football and loads of other stuff.
    Dependant on size of dish you could fit a monoblock or witch stick thing with two lnbs at angles so you can get both 19 and hotbird (about 3000 channels) all yopu would need to buy is a diseqc switch (£5) and monoblock.
    If I can be of any help just PM me dude.
    K
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

3 Thanks given to Lou_smorals

ilscuro (12th November 2017),  JonEp (12th November 2017),  Nibb (12th November 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

For simplicity I would move dish to 28.8 same slot as for Sky but get yourself a freesat reciever such as Humax1100s this has a built in 500gb hard drive and allow you to record, timeshift etc etc ...... look at how many cable coming from the dish (LNB) if it's only one then you'll need to change the LNB and run another cable, this will allow you to watch and record different channel at the same time. If your not familiar with Freesat, it's basically all of freeview channels and a few more .......

Regards

Thanks to Lestronics

ilscuro (12th November 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just get Iptv [emoji6]
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks to Nibb

ilscuro (12th November 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    Sorry to hear about your tragic loss. I don't want to be a satbore but all the satellites are on the clarke belt so facing TRUE south (not magnetic south) you need to move 13degreees east of true south for hotbird, 19.2 degrees east for Astra and 28.2 east of south for Sky and many more such as 1 deg west of south, 5 deg east etc.
    Personally if you dont want to pay Murdochs mob I would stay on Hotbird or Astra 19deg and do a CS thing. many channels still work doing this and if you have a decent box you can easily change audio channel back to English as most of the films and tv series are just dubbed anyway. You can get live football and loads of other stuff.
    Dependant on size of dish you could fit a monoblock or witch stick thing with two lnbs at angles so you can get both 19 and hotbird (about 3000 channels) all yopu would need to buy is a diseqc switch (£5) and monoblock.
    If I can be of any help just PM me dude.
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestronics View Post
    For simplicity I would move dish to 28.8 same slot as for Sky but get yourself a freesat reciever such as Humax1100s this has a built in 500gb hard drive and allow you to record, timeshift etc etc ...... look at how many cable coming from the dish (LNB) if it's only one then you'll need to change the LNB and run another cable, this will allow you to watch and record different channel at the same time. If your not familiar with Freesat, it's basically all of freeview channels and a few more .......

Regards
    Thanks for the advice guys, i think i prefer the easy option of @Lestronics, but i'm intrigued by @Lou_smorals suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Just get Iptv [emoji6]
    I already have mate, i just want to make use of the satellite system already installed.

Thanks to ilscuro

Nibb (13th November 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For some reason i'm unable to edit my above post.

I wanted to add that i just need to find a local trusted installer now.

Thanks to ilscuro

Nibb (13th November 2017)