Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help HP Omen - Anyone got?

Hi

I am looking at getting a new laptop and am particularly drawn to the HP Omen range.

(the video is out of date is 2014 model)

But has anyone had one any issues?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HP Omen - Anyone got?

Can't say I know anything about the Omen, however my experience with HP Laptops in general means I will never have anything to do with them again.

I am referring to the widespread, well documented and reproducible issue with Nvidia GPUs in their Pavialion laptops which essentially rendered my 2 year old machine useless. I tried every homebrew solution available but to no avail. I understand Dell were a lot more sympathetic to their customers, but HP buried its head in the sand and pretended it did not exist. They eventually released a BIOS update which basically made the fan run continuously.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I believe your grievance about HP/NVidia was due to a faulty NVidia graphics chipset which became very well known about (this also affected Dell models like D620/D630)/

When Dell released the successor to the D630, the E6400 - this had the option of NVidia graphics again but used a newer chipset which I don't think has been widely publicised as faulty by design.

However iirc, when the E6400 came out, there were many reports of models with NVidia graphics overheating and slowing down, I believe there was some speculation at the time that these were teething troubles with a new Dell factory in Poland. However their fix was also various BIOS updates that would just run the fan faster.

I will admit I still prefer Dell laptops over HP, although I remember getting my little brother an HP Elitebook for Christmas a few years ago as I thought it was a nice bit of kit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

See I know about the NVidia issues of the past but HP have always been good to me and I am quite brand loyal I had the RROD on several 360s but bought a ONE on day of release, also the Omen looks a lot more impressive in looks than the Alienware equivalent and spec wise significantly cheaper ;-)