Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Plex on new NOW TV Box

Personally I've ordered a Zgemma H52S which appears to offer a decent all round experience. As I only use the N-TV sub I to as a backup to my satellite system and smart tv playlist I thought I might as well get a box that appears to do the lot and also has h265 decoding as a little extra future-proofing should it be needed. £100 delivered and £15 move than a H2S so worth a punt IMO.

Like piggzy says though, android box should do the trick just as well and is probably the cheapest option. Next up would be Roku sticks/boxes but you're back in that ecosysyem and open to possible blocks on the roku platform if enough prssure can be applied by content rights holders.

Depending on how many different update servers the N-TV can connect to, I would expect that using the firewall rules in your router you should be able to block each update server. Possibly something like wireshark to sniff the actual address(es). Not tried it myself but then again I've not switch my N-TV on for weeks.
    Read elsewhere that the changing of the servers per vids is more related to the store and general operation of the box rather than the update servers which appear to buried deeper and why some people are still getting updated despite changing server in the menu or disabling network pings.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Chromecast works a treat.. been using one for a couple of years.. get the Plex app on phone or tablet and cast away..

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by andmor View Post
    Chromecast works a treat.. been using one for a couple of years.. get the Plex app on phone or tablet and cast away..

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    So you use the tablet to stream does that not kill your wifi speeds and buffer if for example running a 1080p?

Fire sticks and fire tv in my house as well as the Xbox one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jaygo View Post
    So you use the tablet to stream does that not kill your wifi speeds and buffer if for example running a 1080p?

Fire sticks and fire tv in my house as well as the Xbox one

you browse your movies/tv progs etc on the plex app on your phone/tablet.. choose one to watch, hit the chromecast icon on the app and then the chromecast talks direct to the plex server. your phone/tablet then becomes a remote control for the movie so you can pause/stop/fast forward etc

Thanks to andmor

jaygo (18th March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by andmor View Post
    you browse your movies/tv progs etc on the plex app on your phone/tablet.. choose one to watch, hit the chromecast icon on the app and then the chromecast talks direct to the plex server. your phone/tablet then becomes a remote control for the movie so you can pause/stop/fast forward etc
    Cool I thought it would be dependable on a connection via your phone/tablet like an access point

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally thought the quality was shite on the Chromcast, maybe its not got the power to handle higher res but I binned it off.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm recommending the Firestick from Amazon to my folks. I have one myself and can't fault it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Will the plex sub work with fire tv box or will i need a another type of box thanks
    Last edited by sav1; 18th March 2017 at 07:56 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
    Will the plex sub work will fire tv box or will i need a another type of box thanks
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I'm recommending the Firestick from Amazon to my folks. I have one myself and can't fault it.

Sent from my LG G4
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks to satzzz

sav1 (18th March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone that got one of me get in touch with your new device and i will get it hooked up

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

2 Thanks given to bobo06

Geko (20th March 2017),  mij (21st March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

@bobo Is that server still going? My nowtv connection worked.for about 2months, then nothing would connect.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yes what were you using

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nowtv with the 35quid sub

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I also was running a plex sub on a nowtv along with my own plex server but also have roku, smart tv and fire tv just in case this happening. I know have expanded to running my own iptv panel now

Sent from my LG G4
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looking at a Xiaomi Mi Android Box to replace my N-TV now the dirty has been done. Read a review that indicate that other than this, the Nvidia Shield, Nexus or Razor Forge, the others aren't true Android and most are mobile/tablet ports.

The N-TV was a bargain at £8 when i got it and lasted nearly 6 months, so maybe spending a little more will help this sort of thing happening again in the near future. Plex a Nd Netflix out of the box is appealing and hopefully the other catch-ups players could be downloaded through the play store so that the family can get the most out of it also!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dainese View Post
    Looking at a Xiaomi Mi Android Box to replace my N-TV now the dirty has been done. Read a review that indicate that other than this, the Nvidia Shield, Nexus or Razor Forge, the others aren't true Android and most are mobile/tablet ports.

The N-TV was a bargain at £8 when i got it and lasted nearly 6 months, so maybe spending a little more will help this sort of thing happening again in the near future. Plex a Nd Netflix out of the box is appealing and hopefully the other catch-ups players could be downloaded through the play store so that the family can get the most out of it also!

You could get a same spec box for £20 less than that but for £20 you are getting a brand and you would assume better build quality.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a roku 3

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seems a bit of a minefield with these boxes. Ideally want to run kodi and have Plex with the advantage of the android apps. Reliable and smooth streaming is a must. Will replace my Raspberry Pi2 which was solely for Kodi and my NowTv for Plex.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have now dropped all Rpi's, Android boxes, NowTv's and everything else and gone for Xbox Ones in the 2 main viewing rooms in the house.

Mainly because all the apps the mrs wanted (Plex, iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon etc.) are all available on it and work perfectly (Nextflix, Amazon etc. dont give full quality except on approved devices which most of these android boxes are definitely not), in the other rooms everything is done by apps directly on the TV (including Plex)

I basically got fed up of looking at new boxes all the time and spending little bits of money upgrading them, so I went for an expensive solution but one that works for us and I wont need to upgrade them for a good while
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

dainese (21st March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dainese View Post
    Seems a bit of a minefield with these boxes. Ideally want to run kodi and have Plex with the advantage of the android apps. Reliable and smooth streaming is a must. Will replace my Raspberry Pi2 which was solely for Kodi and my NowTv for Plex.
    I have an nvidia shield & it's great but the price might put you off. There is the madcatz mojo which is similar hardware but I don't know what the interface is like. Apparently it can run shield games with a bit of work.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

dainese (21st March 2017)  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast