Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Any heating engineer members?

Hi guys
    I wonder if we got any heating engineers here? I am trying to work out how to heat my 1970's 3 bedroom chalet bungalow and dont know what to do the situation is as follows:
    What I have: 6kw Multifuel stive in sittingroom, incredibly expensive electric central heating system because village has no gas supply (electromax) - this caused me to land a lovely £2500 annual electricity bill ffs, but it includes a very good solar tubes heated domestic water tank.

What we want: as Solar tube system we have to heat domestic water is both green and excellent we would like to be as green and efficient as possible but finances and lack of natural gas will probably restrict.

Options: As we are scared to switch electric system on due to running cost in 2016 we are using multfuel burner to heat sittingroom, I am thinking pretty much any option would be better, however due to large electric bills and being Scottish I don't want to spend too much, however my son is a manager in a national plumbing suppliers which enables me to get decent discount on boilers etc.

any ideas / tips guys? hybrid systems or grants etc?
    any advice gratefully received as I am sick of cleaning out stove, paying massive electricity bills and still being cold ffs.

Many thanks
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any heating engineer members?

Not sure if you can still get them but my daughter's 2 bed home runs on storage heaters and the Economy 7 tariff as the property has no gas supply. Her bill averages £200 a quarter to £270.

Thanks to JonEp

Lou_smorals (22nd January 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    Not sure if you can still get them but my daughter's 2 bed home runs on storage heaters and the Economy 7 tariff as the property has no gas supply. Her bill averages £200 a quarter to £270.

Hi
    Thats what we had previously - problems is I would need about 7 and use a lot of power too.
    best wishes
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

What do your neighbours do?

Is and oil tank an option?

Thanks to flipper321

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can the gas heaters not run off a large Calor gas bottle outside then plumbed in by a gas fitter.

Thanks to consoles

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flipper321 View Post
    What do your neighbours do?

Is and oil tank an option?
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply, yes, most of neighbours use oil, which of course has been cheap recently.
    My concerns are that I want to keep my solar tubes heating domestic water and this is sizeable unit with large megaflo cylinder to store hot water so oil boiler would have to be heat only.
    My above mentioned son who lives with me is horrified that I would choose such a dirty heating source and offered to pay 50% of cost if I chose a greener option.
    I feel oil may be route I end up going, despite his protests but he says Grant oil boilers are best but they are considerably more expensive than others :-(.
    LS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    Can the gas heaters not run off a large Calor gas bottle outside then plumbed in by a gas fitter.
    Hi
    Thank you for response, I was told this method is just as expensive as my current one to run but less eco friendly so non starter - unless you can show me otherwise, as I just blindly believed the person who told me this.
    Many thanks
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Under floor electric heating, when fitted properly, is more efficient that traditional electric radiators. So that could be an option. Also make sure your insulation is top notch, double glazing, loft and wall insulation etc.

How much land do you have? A ground source (geothermal) heat pump may be an option. They are expensive but you are paying a lot at the moment and you could be eligible for a government RHI grant.

Thanks to MHP

Lou_smorals (23rd January 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

We had storage heaters with econ 7 about 8 years ago in a 3 bed semi. Glazing was shit but I still went through £150 a month on leccy in the cold months.

On top of that it had 3 open fires and we were still cold at night apart from the rooms with the open fires....

It is what made us move. Landlord was a lying cunt and even put on paper he would install Double Glazing and fit Oil Central heating for a certain rent increase.

Rent increase happened and after 12 months of fuck all I ripped up all the floorboard downstairs (after moving the family out) and burnt em on the open fires ...

Cunt

Thanks to piggzy

Lou_smorals (23rd January 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MHP View Post
    Under floor electric heating, when fitted properly, is more efficient that traditional electric radiators. So that could be an option. Also make sure your insulation is top notch, double glazing, loft and wall insulation etc.

How much land do you have? A ground source (geothermal) heat pump may be an option. They are expensive but you are paying a lot at the moment and you could be eligible for a government RHI grant.

Hi
    Thanks for reply, house has cavity wall and loft insulation and all double glazed - upstairs has A+ duragreen glazing with glass that heats up like a radiator- weird shit!
    i put underfloor electric heating in family bathroom and it is good however downstairs flooring is real wood so cannot put underfloor heating under that, but good shout.
    Many thanks
    LS