Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Trump: This is the start of what is to come

Google has recalled travelling staff members to the US after an executive order from President Donald Trump restricting entry for nationals of seven Muslim-majority countries.
    Syrian refugees are banned from entry until further notice.
    Visas for nationals of six countries, including Iran and Iraq, will not be issued for the next three months.
    Google has told the BBC it is concerned about the order and any measures which could block great talent from the US.
    The BBC's business correspondent Joe Lynam says President Trump's order means that thousands of citizens from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya may not be allowed to board flights bound for the US - even if they hold a so-called "green card" (permanent residents' permit).
    Mr Trump said the measure would "keep radical Islamic terrorists out of the US".
    But rights groups say there is no link between Syrian refugees in the US and terrorism.
    There are already reports of travellers from the countries targeted being turned away as they try to board flights to the US.
    The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee said this appeared to include "green card holders and other visa holders".
    It advised nationals from the affected countries but living in the US not to travel abroad.
    Some Republicans have welcomed Mr Trump's announcement, including the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Paul Ryan, who said it was "time to re-evaluate and strengthen the visa vetting process".
    The new policy is also affecting visits from relatives.
    An Iraqi journalist living in the US, Mohammed al-Rawi, posted on Facebook, saying his father had been turned away from a Los Angeles-bound flight in Qatar.
    Jamal Abdi from the National Iranian American Council told the investigative journalism organisation Pro Publica: "We are inundated with calls and questions of how this is going to affect people."
    The Council on American Islamic Relations says it will file a lawsuit against the executive order.
    Silicon Valley, where many employed in the technology industry are of non-US origin, is also worried.
    Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg posted a lengthy note, saying he was "concerned" about the president's executive orders, and noting that he, like many Americans, is the descendant of immigrants.
    Four-month suspension

Under Mr Trump's wide-ranging executive order, all refugee admissions have been suspended for four months.
    The text of the order was released several hours after it was signed. Other measures include:

• A ban on refugees from Syria until "significant changes" are made
    • A 90-day suspension on anyone arriving from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen, except certain visa categories such as diplomats
    • Priority for future refugee applications from those persecuted for their religion - but only if the person is part of a minority religion in their home country
    • A cap of 50,000 refugees in 2017 - less than half of the upper limit under Mr Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama

The order also said all immigration programmes should include questions to "evaluate the applicant's likelihood of becoming a positively contributing member of society."
    In a TV interview broadcast earlier on Friday, the president said Christians would be given priority among Syrians who apply for refugee status in the future.
    Other measures include a broad review of the information required from all countries to approve a visa; a review of visa schemes between nations to ensure they are "truly reciprocal" for US citizens; and the immediate suspension of the Visa Interview Waiver Programme.
    But the document says exceptions to most restrictions could be made on a case-by-case basis.
    During the election campaign, Mr Trump suggested a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on".
    The executive order has been met with criticism from rights organisations, Democrats and notable figures.
    Democratic Senator Kamala Harris noted that the order had been signed on Holocaust Memorial Day. "Make no mistake - this is a Muslim ban," she wrote.
    "During the Holocaust, we failed to let refugees like Anne Frank into our country. We can't let history repeat itself," she said.
    Malala Yousafzai, the teenage Nobel Peace Laureate who was shot by the Taliban following her advocacy for women's education in Pakistan, wrote that she was "heartbroken".
    "America is turning its back on a proud history of welcoming refugees and immigrants - the people who helped build your country, ready to work hard in exchange for a fair chance at a new life," she added.
    The head of American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) condemned the use of the words "extreme vetting", saying it was a "euphemism for discriminating against Muslims".
    "Identifying specific countries with Muslim majorities and carving out exceptions for minority religions flies in the face of the constitutional principle that bans the government from either favouring or discriminating against particular religions," Anthony Romero said in a statement.

If you have any questions about the new vetting measures which President Trump has announced, send them to us and a BBC correspondent will answer the most popular.
    Use this form to ask your question:
    If you are reading this page on the BBC News app, you will need to visit the mobile version of the BBC website to submit your question on this topic.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Trump executive order prompts Google to recall staff

This is only the start

Thanks
    Karma Level

What are your thoughts Rap? Does the average American deep inside say about time? or are they all actually horrified?

Thanks to Fear345

plug1 (29th January 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I visit friends every year in a small town in Montana. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) wanted Trump as President. To say they hated Hillary was an understatement

Sent from my LG G4
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't think he'd actually do it as I assumed it was just something he said to get votes.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Trump executive order: UK ministers to press US on ban

Prime Minister Theresa May has told her foreign secretary and home secretary to contact their US counterparts about a travel ban imposed by President Trump.
    Boris Johnson and Amber Rudd will make representations about the order barring refugees and visa holders from seven Muslim majority countries for 90 days.
    Earlier Mr Johnson tweeted it was "divisive and wrong" to stigmatise people on the basis of nationality.
    Mrs May has come under fire for not condemning the order earlier.
    After she initially said it was up to the US to decide its policy on refugees, No 10 later issued a statement saying she did "not agree with this kind of approach and it is not one we will be taking" adding that if there was any impact on UK nationals "then clearly we will make representations to the US government about that."
    A Conservative MP, Nadhim Zahawi, who was born in Iraq, is among those who have said they would not be able to travel to the US while the temporary ban is in place.
    British Olympic champion Sir Mo Farah, who was born in Somalia and lives in the US, has also said it is "deeply troubling" that he may have to tell his children he cannot go home.
    The prime minister has had a conference call with Mr Johnson and Ms Rudd and instructed them to make representations to their opposite numbers in the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security, aimed at protecting the rights of British nationals.
    This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
    If you want to receive Breaking News alerts via email, or on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App then details on how to do so are available on this help page. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Sir Mo Farah: Olympic champion criticises Donald Trump's US travel ban

Britain's four-time Olympic gold medallist Sir Mo Farah has criticised US President Donald Trump for imposing an order that leaves him unsure whether he can return to the United States.
    Farah, 33, was born in Somalia but has lived in Oregon for the past six years.
    Somali nationals are among those banned from travelling to the US under the executive order issued on Friday.

"It's deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children daddy might not be able to come home," said Farah.
    Writing on his Facebook page, he added: "On 1 January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27 January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien."
    Farah said he believed Trump's policy "comes from a place of ignorance and prejudice" and his story is "an example of what can happen when you follow polices of compassion and understanding, not hate and isolation".
    It is unclear whether Farah, who moved to Britain aged eight, will be able to return to the US.
    Trump's executive order halted the entire US refugee programme and also instituted a 90-day travel ban for nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
    The executive order also applies to those who hold dual nationality with one of the listed countries.
    On Saturday, a US judge issued a temporary halt to the deportation of visa holders or refugees stranded at airports.

Farah does not have dual nationality or hold a Somali passport and it is understood his advisers are trying to clarify the situation with the US authorities.
    The athlete is at a training camp in Ethiopia as part of his preparations for August's World Championships in London, and is not planning to return to the US for a number of weeks.
    He said: "I am a British citizen who has lived in America for the past six years - working hard, contributing to society, paying my taxes and bringing up our four children in the place they now call home.
    "Now me, and many others like me, are being told that we may not be welcome."
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

doubt trump will see end of term, probably get assassinated soon

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Trump border ban: White House stands firm over crackdown on refugees

The Trump administration is standing firm over its ban on refugees from seven countries despite court rulings and mass protests against the move.
    Mr Trump tweeted: "Our country needs strong borders and extreme vetting, NOW," while his chief of staff said only 109 people had been detained.
    A number of judges ruled on the issue - one federal judge temporarily halted the deportation of visa holders.
    There has been condemnation from countries around the world.
    Mr Trump's executive order, signed on Friday, halted the entire US refugee programme and also instituted a 90-day travel ban for nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
    Those who were already mid-flight were detained on arrival - even if they held valid US visas or other immigration permits.
    Thousands gathered at airports around the country to protest, including lawyers who offered their services for free to those affected.
    Further demonstrations are expected on Sunday - including one outside the White House.
    White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus said that, of the 325,000 people entering the US on Saturday, 109 were detained.
    "Most of those people were moved out," he told NBC's Meet the Press programme.
    "We've got a couple of dozen more that remain and I would suspect that as long as they're not awful people that they will move through before another half a day today."
    He said the seven countries had been chosen because they had already been identified by Obama administration as the most likely to harbour terrorists, and did not rule out the fact that more countries could be added to the list.
    Some leading Republicans expressed concern.
    John McCain called it a "very confusing process" which would "probably, in some areas, give ISIS (Islamic State group) some more propaganda", while Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said it was important to remember that "some of our best sources in the war against radical Islamic terrorism are Muslims".

Fear, uncertainty and small acts of rebellion at Dulles airport

Ali worked for three years as an interpreter for the US Army and gained admittance to the US through a Special Immigrant Visa, reserved for Iraqi and Afghan nationals who face threats of violence for working for Americans during the conflicts there.
    He now has a green card, and returned to Iraq for his father's funeral, only to be delayed for hours for questioning at Dulles.
    "We are not terrorists. We are not bad people," said Ali. "It's so hard. I hope they will change their minds on this position."
    Read more from the BBC's Jessica Lussenhop on the night at Dulles airport, near Washington in Virginia

Opening salvo in a protracted battle - analysis by Anthony Zurcher, BBC News, Washington DC

These rulings are only the opening salvo in what will likely be a protracted legal battle, as the Trump administration forges ahead with its plans.
    The episode has made the White House look amateurish and ill-prepared, however, and Republicans in Congress are getting nervous.
    During the presidential primaries, a majority of Republican voters backed Mr Trump's calls for a sweeping ban on Muslims entering the US. During the general election, he campaigned on a visa ban for certain "terrorist" countries - and won.
    So it shouldn't come as much of a surprise if the president's core support holds firm after this weekend's events. The views in the American heartland, far removed from major international airports, sometimes differ greatly from the liberal bastions on the coast.
    However, protracted airport detention of children and the elderly is "bad optics" - and could make it harder for the White House to get public support for future immigration action.

'Irreparable injury'

Late on Saturday, federal Judge Ann Donnelly, in New York, ruled against the removal from the US of people with approved refugee applications, valid visas, and "other individuals... legally authorised to enter the United States".
    The emergency ruling also said there was a risk of "substantial and irreparable injury" to those affected.
    She was ruling on a case brought by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on behalf of two Iraqi men with links to the US military who were detained at JFK Airport in New York.
    Both have now been released. Another court hearing is set for February.
    Elsewhere in the US:

• An order issued in Virginia banned, for seven days, the deportation of green card holders held at Dulles Airport and ordered the authorities to allow access to lawyers

• A Seattle judge issued an emergency stay of removal from the US for two people

But the Department of Homeland Security said it would continue to enforce the measures.
    Criticism of Mr Trump's decision has been growing louder outside the US.
    Iran and Iraq are threatening a reciprocal ban on US citizens entering the country.
    Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany said "even the necessary, determined fight against terrorism does not justify placing people of a certain origin or belief under general suspicion".
    Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted that his government remained committed to welcoming "those fleeing persecution, terror and war".
    A spokesperson for UK PM Theresa May said she "did not agree" with the restrictions, and French independent presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron tweeted: "I stand with the people fleeing war and persecution".
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Civil War ???

It would have been a ridiculous thought this time last year ......
    I know it won't happen but I bet there will be calls for it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    I didn't think he'd actually do it as I assumed it was just something he said to get votes.

I kind of feel like an innocent bystander watching a car crash happen in slow motion in front of my eyes. You all know this precludes an inevitable "outrage". It's more a question of which country is getting it. The USA ? UK ? or the Germans ? One thing is for sure nothing good is going to happen for anyone who doesn't fit the Trump model citizen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think Trump knows who fits "The Trump Model Citizen"

I really do think he is surprised to be in and really doesn't know if he is happy or sad. He really seems shell shocked and confused.

I have decided to just play Battlefield for 4 years and then stick my head up to see what the crack is ..

Poor, Poor fucked up world. RIP middle east and any underprivileged third world country or economy ! You have my prayers.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Trump executive order: UK ministers to press US on ban

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Sir Mo Farah, who was born in Somalia and lives in the US, has also said it is "deeply troubling" that he may have to tell his children he cannot go home.

BBC News

Fcking really takes the bisquit

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Moving all shiit regarding this cuunt to one thread as he will destroy the civilized world with his own agenda

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    doubt trump will see end of term, probably get assassinated soon

Bro I wish it would happen tomorrow and if I was there I would help them, this world has gone closer to the brink

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Trump: This is the start of what is to come

Sir Mo Farah: Olympic champion criticises Donald Trump?#

Is Mo Farah British, American or Somalian? I thought he was a fine example of multiculturalism in the UK. Why is living in the US if he competes for the UK in athletics?

Thanks to MHP

jaygo (30th January 2017)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Because D trump is on an agenda, and eveyone else has to abide with it.

They voted him in and now he has rule, until someone fires that magic bullet or he gets what he came for

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post

this cuunt has an agenda that we do not know about yet

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post

Google has recalled travelling staff members to the US after an executive order from President Donald Trump restricting entry for nationals of seven Muslim-majority countries.
    Syrian refugees are banned from entry until further notice.
    Visas for nationals of six countries, including Iran and Iraq, will not be issued for the next three months.
    Google has told the BBC it is concerned about the order and any measures which could block great talent from the US.
    The BBC's business correspondent Joe Lynam says President Trump's order means that thousands of citizens from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya may not be allowed to board flights bound for the US - even if they hold a so-called "green card" (permanent residents' permit).
    Mr Trump said the measure would "keep radical Islamic terrorists out of the US".
    But rights groups say there is no link between Syrian refugees in the US and terrorism.
    There are already reports of travellers from the countries targeted being turned away as they try to board flights to the US.
    The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee said this appeared to include "green card holders and other visa holders".
    It advised nationals from the affected countries but living in the US not to travel abroad.
    Some Republicans have welcomed Mr Trump's announcement, including the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Paul Ryan, who said it was "time to re-evaluate and strengthen the visa vetting process".
    The new policy is also affecting visits from relatives.
    An Iraqi journalist living in the US, Mohammed al-Rawi, posted on Facebook, saying his father had been turned away from a Los Angeles-bound flight in Qatar.
    Jamal Abdi from the National Iranian American Council told the investigative journalism organisation Pro Publica: "We are inundated with calls and questions of how this is going to affect people."
    The Council on American Islamic Relations says it will file a lawsuit against the executive order.
    Silicon Valley, where many employed in the technology industry are of non-US origin, is also worried.
    Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg posted a lengthy note, saying he was "concerned" about the president's executive orders, and noting that he, like many Americans, is the descendant of immigrants.
    Four-month suspension

Under Mr Trump's wide-ranging executive order, all refugee admissions have been suspended for four months.
    The text of the order was released several hours after it was signed. Other measures include:

• A ban on refugees from Syria until "significant changes" are made
    • A 90-day suspension on anyone arriving from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen, except certain visa categories such as diplomats
    • Priority for future refugee applications from those persecuted for their religion - but only if the person is part of a minority religion in their home country
    • A cap of 50,000 refugees in 2017 - less than half of the upper limit under Mr Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama

The order also said all immigration programmes should include questions to "evaluate the applicant's likelihood of becoming a positively contributing member of society."
    In a TV interview broadcast earlier on Friday, the president said Christians would be given priority among Syrians who apply for refugee status in the future.
    Other measures include a broad review of the information required from all countries to approve a visa; a review of visa schemes between nations to ensure they are "truly reciprocal" for US citizens; and the immediate suspension of the Visa Interview Waiver Programme.
    But the document says exceptions to most restrictions could be made on a case-by-case basis.
    During the election campaign, Mr Trump suggested a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on".
    The executive order has been met with criticism from rights organisations, Democrats and notable figures.
    Democratic Senator Kamala Harris noted that the order had been signed on Holocaust Memorial Day. "Make no mistake - this is a Muslim ban," she wrote.
    "During the Holocaust, we failed to let refugees like Anne Frank into our country. We can't let history repeat itself," she said.
    Malala Yousafzai, the teenage Nobel Peace Laureate who was shot by the Taliban following her advocacy for women's education in Pakistan, wrote that she was "heartbroken".
    "America is turning its back on a proud history of welcoming refugees and immigrants - the people who helped build your country, ready to work hard in exchange for a fair chance at a new life," she added.
    The head of American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) condemned the use of the words "extreme vetting", saying it was a "euphemism for discriminating against Muslims".
    "Identifying specific countries with Muslim majorities and carving out exceptions for minority religions flies in the face of the constitutional principle that bans the government from either favouring or discriminating against particular religions," Anthony Romero said in a statement.

If you have any questions about the new vetting measures which President Trump has announced, send them to us and a BBC correspondent will answer the most popular.
    Use this form to ask your question:
    If you are reading this page on the BBC News app, you will need to visit the mobile version of the BBC website to submit your question on this topic.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News
    How about a tldr for the short of attention. Lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast