Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Which second SIM?

So... I've just purchased a Oneplus 3T. This is a dual sim phone, although that isn't why I purchased it. It seems a shame not to use it and I currently have an O2 sim in along with my regular contract and it's nice having 2 numbers.

So my question is... Is there a sim I can keep in just for emergencies that doesn't need regularly topping up? Or an international roaming sim? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Which second SIM?

I've got a dual SIM Moto G..

Sim 1 is a regular Vodafone contract SIM.

Sim 2 is a SIP2SIM

Sim 2 is a very unusual sim. It doesn't actually have a number or phone line attached to it. You need to log on to a web portal and link it to a SIP server. I use it with 3CX running on an old laptop, although I believe it could also be setup with services such as Sipgate.

My SIP server can be considered like an office switchboard system - you can connect external lines/phone numbers to the pbx, and you have internal extensions with their own internal numbers, and the pbx can be setup for incoming call groups or automatically selecting the cheapest outbound line. I remember once even setting up a box that linked a BT phone line to a SIP server just as an example of more possibilities you can do with this kind of thing.

Also I can switch this SIM between two different modes from my phone. 1 mode uses the O2 network to relay the phone calls to/from my SIP server and I think costs £0.02/min on top of any costs from the actual company you are using to make the call. You also pay £0.02/min on incoming calls as well. The other mode will automatically roam between any of the major UK phone networks if O2 is unavailable, but I think this costs £0.10/min in or out on top of call cost.

Something cool you can do but I never bothered with - you can specify the graphics to be printed on the SIM and you can even specify the provider name shown by your handset when it has network on this SIM. I don't think there is a charge, but needs to be specified at time of order.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

Ashley (1st February 2017),  Geko (12th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's a good question, I have just switched to Vodafone myself and would like a backup SIM on my second slot, I think the longest you can go without topping up is 6 month with all providers now, I'm told we has the best data range. Regards

Thanks to ceet12

Geko (12th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

When you use sip sim can you spoof the caller I'd

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by plug1 View Post
    When you use sip sim can you spoof the caller I'd
    Yes/No/Maybe.

I have a few sipgate accounts and a gsm to sip gateway. On those lines caller ID is fixed. I also have a voipcheap line that lets me change the caller ID shown, but I need to validate this by having a text sent to that number (or a phone call that gives me the validation code).

I think there are some SIP services that let you spoof numbers without validation but I never looked too hard into that.

Thanks to Over Carl

plug1 (12th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a second sim a with giffgaff and topups from them never expire.

Just chuck a fiver on it.. job done.

Make sure it is a normal topup and not a goodybag as goodybags do expire.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Freedom pop sim
    200 mins talk
    200 texts
    200mb data
    £0 per month
    https://uk.freedompop.com/offer/uksi...Feqc7Qod3VMInQ

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just want to add to this threat that Freedom Pop only works with an App from them which it updates very frequently as lots of bugs!
    and the other thing about them is that they work under 3 network provisioning the coverage and if the signal is not good enough you can't do voice calls or if it works the delay and sound are terrible.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
    Just want to add to this threat that Freedom Pop only works with an App from them which it updates very frequently as lots of bugs!
    and the other thing about them is that they work under 3 network provisioning the coverage and if the signal is not good enough you can't do voice calls or if it works the delay and sound are terrible.
    I agree in regards to calls not very good but the data part is fine and its free so nothing to lose, perfect for my 9 year old who uses FaceTime anyway

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hijack this thread but if you want a free sim with 200mb of data free every month 3 are giving them away

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread but if you want a free sim with 200mb of data free every month 3 are giving them away
    I ordered one of those already but its data only though so really for a tablet

Social Networking Bookmarks