Close

Thread: Emby

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Emby

Any one using this . Was thinking of ditching plex for this .

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Emby

https://emby.media/

Any reason for considering thew switch? I will check their site out later, always interested in alternatives if they have the edge over anything I am using. I rarely use Plex but have it running for those odd occasions.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a play last night. Very smooth and pretty interface although it's a bit buggy. The client kept on closing when trying to play certain rips. I think it needs a bit more work before it'll get me to swap. Also I have lifetime plexpass which will feel like a waste if I swap, although I've had it well over 4 years now and only paid £40

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The only reason would be for the IPTV seems simple enough to run . Just throw your url at it and also has an extensive tv guide to that was the only reason . I checked it out last night it does seem smooth but the same i was getting kicked out of my own stuff not cool .

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Another thing I noticed was that videos played fine in a browser but when I installed the windows app they wanted paying for premium. $4.99 a month, $50 yearly or $99 lifetime.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just noticed another annoying thing. If the movie is in a subfolder it creates another folder to click through in emby with the actual film in it. Maybe it's a setting somewhere, but a fucking stupid one if it is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally, I have both on my home server but still default to watching stuff thru' Plex. Pointed the Emby server at my Plex library and away it went. No problems encountered so far - except having to pay to watch my own stuff.

The Unlock is £3.33 on Amazon. Put it on my Firestick last week but wouldn't play anything without unlocking, and still adds links to sub to the premium offering.

I also have a small IPTV Sports playlist that works well on the Firestick but not at all thru' the Emby app on my TV so some reason. As it's a backup to other methods of watching it doesn't bother me though. I never got my own Plex server to play live streams.

I've noticed a few 'retail' sellers of IPTV and VOD are moving away from Plex and onto the Emby platform as they see Plex as past it's best with Emby offering better handling for streaming and sheer ability to play things better than Plex does.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have used this for well over a year and love as it looks much better than plex visually and I think plex's UI is a bit shit tbh but unfortunately the Emby xbox one app is not free so that fucked me off a bit tbh.

It is free on android devices though so if that is how you are doing or as a kodi addon then I prefer it over plex.

Also found it less resource hungry than plex and was better at transcoding.
    For me have had a lot less issues with Emby than I have had with plex... just the xbox issue annoys me.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    I have used this for well over a year and love as it looks much better than plex visually and I think plex's UI is a bit shit tbh but unfortunately the Emby xbox one app is not free so that fucked me off a bit tbh.

It is free on android devices though so if that is how you are doing or as a kodi addon then I prefer it over plex.

Also found it less resource hungry than plex and was better at transcoding.
    For me have had a lot less issues with Emby than I have had with plex... just the xbox issue annoys me.
    Improved transcoding would be good, my PMS is installed on a meaty ESXi testbed and my upload is now pretty decent (finally!!) but on the rare occasions I have used Plex I have seen some issues saying the server isn't fast enough.

Thanks to evilsatan

piggzy (1st February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's worth a try. I forget why I needed it in the first place but back when I first set it up (probably more like 2 years ago) it was because I was having issues with Plex and transcoding just can't remember what it was.
    Emby worked flawlessly from install. Has a few bugs here and there but nothing that has ever stopped me using it.

Some fantastic Kodi skins for it too that add functionality but as I use the Xbox One as the main means of media now I have reluctantly started using Plex again. I should get an Emby premium account as it is probably worth it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

EPG looks good. I'm tempted to switch too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    EPG looks good. I'm tempted to switch too
    At the end of the day it is soooo easy to install alongside Plex and give a try. If you don't like uninstall. It takes up very little extra space generating the odd extra .jpg dvd image etc and a few other bits but just add one library to try it out.
    I have long been an advocate and think with more use/support they could easily surpass Plex but for now they are still the underdog.

If you use it within Kodi though as the addon imho it destroys plex. Looks far, far better and has better features.

Social Networking Bookmarks