Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Classic Video Game Copy Protection ‘Code Wheels’ Digitised & Accessible Online

Classic Video Game Copy Protection ‘Code Wheels’ Digitised & Accessible Online
    NEWS - RETRO

While DRM today may been seen as overly aggressive and frustrating, copy protection methods of yesteryear actually brought along some charm whilst keeping the pirates at bay. One of the more notable examples of this was the code wheel - a collection of layered card held together by a split pin with windows revealing secret codes underneath. Although seeming to be something of a bygone era, several of these code wheels have now been recreated and digitised for future generations to come.
    For many gamers their first introduction to this form of copy protection was through Lucasarts’ classic The Secret of Monkey Island. The vibrantly coloured Dial-A-Pirate insert very much seemed like an added extra to the floppy disk adventure, however, beneath each of the faces you could make lay a secret access code to boot up the game. Monkey Island 2 continued this trend with the Mix ‘N’ Mojo code wheel (one which had you lining up voodoo spell ingredients), whilst the likes of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis opted for a much duller approach littered with numbers and letters.
    Abandonware website OldGames.sk recently made available their collection of seven different code wheels online, all of which spinning independently with a click. This collection includes the aforementioned Lucasarts quests, along with the likes of Another World, Pool of Radiance, and Waxworks too. Whilst the selection might not be expansive as of yet, we’re pretty sure many more will soon follow given how great these work digitally.

Link: Digitised Game Copy Protection Code Wheels at OldGames.sk

5 Thanks given to {{909}}

Ashley (6th February 2017),  beansontoast (6th February 2017),  Ganty (7th February 2017),  ilscuro (6th February 2017),  piggzy (6th February 2017)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Classic Video Game Copy Protection ‘Code Wheels’ Digitised & Accessible Online

I remember this for Jet Set Willy

Took hours to copy it out.

Cheapreefer on instagram

3 Thanks given to ss30

EvilBoB (6th February 2017),  muttleymacclad (6th February 2017),  piggzy (6th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Classic Video Game Copy Protection ‘Code Wheels’ Digitised & Accessible Online

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    I remember this for Jet Set Willy

Took hours to copy it out.
    That takes me back
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Denuvo - the latest game copy protection seems to be doing a good job. A LOT of games with this protection still 'uncracked'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denuvo

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not if you read the full wiki

"In January 29 2017, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard was cracked only 5 days after its release, making it the fastest game to be cracked with the latest Denuvo implementation. [16]*

Thanks
    Karma Level

Remember copying games with twin tape deck onto a C90? Those were the days.

2 Thanks given to TJB

Ashley (6th February 2017),  piggzy (6th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Not if you read the full wiki

"In January 29 2017, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard was cracked only 5 days after its release, making it the fastest game to be cracked with the latest Denuvo implementation. [16]*
    It has been cracked for over 2 years but not completely, they have not fully cracked the DRM and are doing work arounds on some games but there are many games NOT cracked. It has a list in the wiki.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Remember copying games with twin tape deck onto a C90? Those were the days.
    Yes I remember getting one for my C64. The guy flogging it called it a 'motherboard' don't know why it was just pcb you plugged into the back of the C64 where you connected the tape drive which then let you connect 2 tape drives.
    You had to play and record at the same time pmsl... took fookin ages.

2 Thanks given to piggzy

muttleymacclad (6th February 2017),  ss30 (7th February 2017)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Yes I remember getting one for my C64. The guy flogging it called it a 'motherboard' don't know why it was just pcb you plugged into the back of the C64 where you connected the tape drive which then let you connect 2 tape drives.
    The good old days
    Last edited by ss30; 7th February 2017 at 08:59 AM.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks to ss30

piggzy (6th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Remember when CD's became the norm and we all thought game copies where a thing of the past...

Then in my first job they bought a Plextor cd writer at work. I gasped in amazement before working overtime and copying every PC game I could get my grubby little hands on.
    Oh yes I was the cool kid in town (till everyone got a writer) ;-)

Thanks to piggzy

Ashley (6th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I vaguely remember having a program for my Spectrum... You would run the program, play about 5 seconds of the tape then pause it, switch the cables from ear to mic, place a blank tape in the tape recorder and record that particular 5 second section onto the blank tape, switch the cables back and repeat until you had recorded the full game. Took literally all day.

Thanks to TJB

piggzy (6th February 2017)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It has been cracked for over 2 years but not completely, they have not fully cracked the DRM and are doing work arounds on some games but there are many games NOT cracked. It has a list in the wiki.

IT was cracked in 5 days numbnutz

In early August 2016, it was reported that the Denuvo protection found in Doom had been bypassed by a cracker named Voksi.[11] Bypasses for many other Denuvo protected games were released within the following days.[12] Although the exploit used for these bypasses was patched 3 days after the first bypass was released, news followed that Rise of the Tomb Raider, Inside and Doom[13] had been fully cracked by the scene group CONSPIR4CY (CPY),[14] by successfully emulating the Denuvo protection and patching the remaining in game triggers.
    Playdead later removed Denuvo from their game Inside in their later patches. ID Software also removed Denuvo from their 2016 release DOOM via a patch in December later that year. Crytek later removed Denuvo from their VR game The Climb.[15]
    In January 29 2017, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard was cracked only 5 days after its release, making it the fastest game to be cracked with the latest Denuvo implementation. [16]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a multiface 2 on my amstrad 6128 to do the dirty for me

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use to be the person to goto to do C64 games, my dad had a Hi-Fi with a twin tape deck.

I also remember getting my first CD Writer, £150 for a Plextor SCSI drive with a SCSI card and then trying to do my first PS1 game with a cracked copy of CD-R WIN and using it in DOS to do the deed, wasted about 10 blank CD-r's which cost around £2.50 each back then before I got it to work, and then there was the PIC Chip programming and installing, happy days.

And now I cant even remember the last time I burnt a CD-R or DVD-R must be over a year!(never bought a BluRay writer either)

Cheapreefer on instagram

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i remember when i got my first CD-Writer - SCSI 2x Writer - blanks were expensive but worth it providing you didnt ruin too many

i remember that old writers had problems with discs that had a non standard layout like below

Data Tracks > Audio Tracks > Data Tracks

so if we had a game that had audio tracks we would add a data track or 2 at the end of the cuesheet - it would burn but would not be able to be copied
    if the game had no audio tracks we would add a couple and then add more data tracks at the end

this was all long before Nero, CloneCD etc. became the standard - it worked really well to stop the average person copying your stuff.

Some of the compilations discs that were available (Blobby etc.) had their own protections that did it a different way
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hqdefault.jpg

My best friend for years.

2 Thanks given to CominAtcha

Ashley (7th February 2017),  Ganty (7th February 2017)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CominAtcha View Post
    Yep used that to copy all manor of protected Amiga SW. Then with the hardware dongle that came out Xcopy was the only piece of kit you ever needed

this was like a dongle I got made up

Capture.JPG

My best friend for years Also
    Last edited by Mickey; 7th February 2017 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks to Mickey

Ashley (7th February 2017)