Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Investing in Gold

Would like a bit of advice if I may.

So, sadly my mum passed away a few weeks ago. I am the Sole benficiary in her will and the amount will be approximately £95,000 as well as a Mortgage free house and at a rough guess, £50,000 in Jewellery (based on certificates of authenticity and valuations done on various pieces)

The Jewellery I know is already a significant investment, however I'm contemplating the idea of buying some gold. Bullion or Coins as an investment. Saving money in the banks is pointless and earns fuck all.

Is it really worth a ago? I quite like the idea of having some nice shiny gold coins.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Investing in Gold

Firstly. sorry for your loss

If I had the cash then I would definately invest in Gold ! It always holds its value, someone I know had 30 Gold Krugerands left to them, they was easy to sell on and made a nice profit. So that's what I would invest in South African 1oz Gold Krugerand Coins.

Regards

Thanks to Lestronics

dpSparhawk (10th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got a friend lives near me who moved from South Africa about 3 years ago. He invested in gold heavily which he still says is a good thing to do.
    Down side is he goes through periods of wanting the money but unable to sell due to how poor golds value is at the current time. Obviously he could sell but at a loss and I remember him telling me how gold has been shit for years.

In his case though it is better than converting Rand to Pound especially as SA restrict taking money from the country but that wont apply to you.

Thanks to piggzy

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As piggzy say's the price hasn't been good, as all metals/currancies go up and down in price, if you invest in Gold and want the money in a few years you might need to sell at a loss.
    This is the price in Dollars for 1 Troy Ounce of Gold (around 31.1g) as you can see if you bought around December 2011 you would be $700 down on todays price!

If you want to invest you can get around 7% intrest(but you need to leave it their for a minium of a year) with companies like Funding Circle and you are protected upto £80k

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks to ss30

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    If you want to invest you can get around 7% intrest(but you need to leave it their for a minium of a year) with companies like Funding Circle and you are protected upto £80k
    Thanks Funding Circle looks interesting, I did try zopa a few years ago. I guess this is counted as interest and not earnings so tax free.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My preferred p2p option is RateSetter, as you can set your own rate and only have money tied up for as short as a month, or as long as five years.

As regards gold, now is a good time to buy as it tends to be a cheaper commodity when stocks are rising, which they currently are. Gold usually goes up in price when stock markets crash, and investors look for a safe harbour for their money. I use Bullionvault, it's a straight forward service and you actually own the gold you buy on their markets and it's stored securely for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers guys. Appreciated.

Yeah to be honest, I'd be investing and wouldn't need it for potentially 5 - 10 years, maybe longer, maybe less. Thinking of maybe investing £10 - £20k in 1oz coins

I can't do it right away though CJ as I have to wait for inheritance. I'm the sole benficiary so it's just a case of waiting. I'm just looking at my options in advance

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Renewable have a 6-8% return.
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks to Rick Sanchez

dpSparhawk (11th February 2017)