Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default best budget-mid range tablet advice?

the GF's dad wants to buy a tablet, as usual doesn't want to pay too much as he wants it for taking some pictures out walking and browsing the net/youtube etc..
    Can anyone provide me with a list or preferences up to about £180?
    many thanks
    mcdodd

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: best budget-mid range tablet advice?

Not sure about pictures, but for just browsing and such you can't beat the £50 Amazon Fire Tablet

Thanks to flumperino

mc.dodd (17th February 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll second the kindle fire
    My 3 kids have em and I have 2 one was a replacement from Amazon (great customer service)
    They really are good for the £50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to jaygo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Any preference on OS? You can probably get a half decent second hand iPad or iPad mini. I love my HP stream 7, runs full fat windows 10 and was only £50 as well. Linx do a range of cheap tablets some dual boot win x and android. They will come with a keybaord case as well I think.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Although I aint bought either of these, I thought they may be useful suggestions. I've been looking at these to replace my ipad3. Theyre both copying the surface and come with keyboards, but can be used solely as a tablet too.

First one is the iwork12
    Spoiler:
    The Cube iwork12 is a cheaper version of the popular Core M3 powered Cube i9. The screen, outer housing, and keyboard dock are exactly the same as the i9 model. However the SSD, CPU and Type-C have been replaced with cheaper components. It’s running an Atom X5 Z8300 (quad-core with 1.84Ghz max clock) 4GB of 1600Mhz single channel RAM and a 64GB eMMC. The type-c port is now a MicroUSB port used for data in Android and charging.
    The below video reviews are broken into various sections. Check the index times to skip ahead to parts that interest you the most like gaming performance or battery life.
    Cube iwork12 Windows review:

• 03:32 – Screen
    • 05:08 – Windows & Benchmarks
    • 08:09 – Battery Life
    • 10:23 – 4k streaming test
    • 11:27 – Sound
    • 12:11 – Gaming
    • 15:33 – Conclusion

Cube iwork12 Android Review

• 01:13 Design and Build
    • 02:36 – Screen
    • 04:05 – ROM & Benchmarks
    • 05:51 – Battery life and charge times
    • 06:30 – Audio
    • 08:00 – Type Cover Keyboard
    • 09:30 – Browser Test
    • 10:33 – Cameras
    • 11:42 – Gaming (Injustice, King of Fighters & Dead Trigger)

Cube iwork12 review summary:

Design:
    The Cube iwrok12 has one of the better builds for a Chinese dual OS tablet, the same quality as the i9 with the exact same two position kickstand. The only difference is the rear alloy housing is now painted in a metallic silver and the front bezel around the screen is white. The iwork12 for now, is only available in this color.
    Windows 10:
    Battery life in Windows 10 is a good 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours more than Android’s 5 hours or so of battery life. Performance is on par with other Atom X5 Z8300 in benchmarks. But the system does feel smoother in Windows 10 then the higher resolution Chuwi Hi12 with it’s 2160 x 1440 screen.
    Android:
    Cube did a really good job with the Android ROM, no bloat and it’s very smooth and fast. Games are really smooth and fluid just like the ROM. 4GB of RAM is plenty for Android and helps to keep things moving very quickly.
    Screen:
    The 1920 x 1200 display is the exact one used in the Cube i9, it does have a layer under the touch digitizer that looks to be a matte anti-glare layer. It’s hard to notice, but looking at it closely you will see a slight grain to the display. It’s only really obvious on brighter colors like white or yellows. It has a max brightness of 250 cd/m2 and the touch screen is a focaltech one, not the common (And cheaper) Goodix. As a result, touch response is very fluid. smooth and accurate. One of the better screens for touch performance.
    Sound:
    The side firing speakers have more volume than 80% of the tablets of this class reviewed. Better than most, but a full volume (as heard i in the video reviews) there is a bit of distortion from the speakers. The 3.5mm headphone jack supports 4 pole plugs, so microphone support. There is the faintest amount of background static on the 3.5mm port. Barely audible
    Battery life and charging times:

• Android at 200nits the screen approximately 5 hours. (Wifi on)
    • Windows 10, six to six and a half hours wifi on and 50% brightness.
    • Fully charges from 2% in 3 hours and 48 minutes.
    • Charing when in use takes over 6 hours due to the power drain of being in use.

https://techtablets.com/cube-iwork12/review/

and

CHUWI Hi10

Spoiler:
    e Hi10 Plus, looks exactly like the Vi10 Plus. However, this version has 4GB of RAM and a 64GB eMMC and most importantly ships out with Windows 10 Home and Remix OS 2.0. It supports an optional keyboard type cover style doc that acts as a case, stand for the tablet and keyboard. It also supports an active stylus the HiPen H2, this stylus is a basic that doesn’t have any pressure sensitivity. Below is my detailed video review. Including a look at the stylus and even the HiBook Pro keyboard, which can also fit the Hi10 Plus even if it wasn’t designed for this model.

Chuwi Hi10 Plus review video index:

• 00:27 – Specs
    • 01:18 – Keyboard
    • 02:40 – Design, Build and Screen
    • 05:06 – Remix
    • 11:59 – HiBook Pro Keyboard dock
    • 13:03 – Active HiPen H2 Stylus
    • 15:07 – Windows 10
    • 18:36 – Final Words With Pros & Cons

Overall it’s not a bad tablet, the bright Surface 3 screen is a great 3:2 ratio screen and with it’s 1920 x 1280 resolution it’s not so taxing on the Atom X5 Z8300 like the 2560 x 1600 fully laminated display in the Chuwi HiBook Pro
    Disappointing to see yet again Chuwi downclocked the RAM to only 1066Mhz, they do this I think to increase the battery life. But it does lower the overall performance of the tablet, especially when gaming in Remix. And let’s face it the Atom X5 Z8300 needs all the speed it can get, so I recommend you increase this to 1600Mhz. I have encounted zero issues running the tablet at 1600Mhz.
    Sound, is another slightly disappointing point of the Hi10 Plus, slight static and buzz over the speakers and 3.5mm jack. Something the HiBook Pro I reviewed didn’t suffer from.
    And it’s a just a shame it has no full-sized USB ports. Something that made the old Bay Trail Chuwi Vi10 special was it’s full sized ports. Pros and cons as well as my rating, are below:

CHUWI HI10 PLUS CHUWI HI10 PLUS REVIEW HI10 PLUS REVIEW

GOOD

• Solid build quality
    • Ambient light sensor
    • Bright 3:2 ratio scree
    • Dual OS (Windows & Remix)
    • Plays Demanding Android Games
    • Good thermals
    • Good Wifi speeds
    • Windows Battery Life
    • Can dock with HiBook Pro Keyboard

BAD

• RAM Set To Only 1066Mhz By Default
    • No Full Sized USB Ports
    • Type-C port Runs At USB 2.0 Speeds
    • Not Running The Latest Remix 3.0 Version
    • Keyboard Fabric Is A Dust Magnet
    • Only Around 5 Hours Android Battery life
    • Stylus Has No Pressure Levels
    • Fixed Keyboard Angle.
    • 3.5mm Audio Static And Buzz

GOOD

Performance - 8

Build Quality And Design - 7.5

Display - 9

Sound - 6.5

Battery Life - 7.5

https://techtablets.com/chuwi-hi10-plus/review/
    according to the reviews there's a 12" version of this one too.

quoted reviews go a bit kooky in the spoilers, but the info is there. I'm swinging towards a 12 inch tablet to use as a laptop when travelling.

Thanks to {{909}}

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for replies, is there anything high street worth looking at? he's a bit old fashioned and wants to be able to go back to the store if anything goes wrong..
    so far he's been given

HAUWEI Mediapad T1 10
    Acer Iconia One 10 B3-A30
    Galaxy Tab A (but he doesn't want to spend that much)

cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my honest and maybe biased opinion I would avoid a Samsung anything.

The remaining two I know next to nothing about so would advise checking the user reviews of both and go with what best fits expectations and requirements.

Is this one of those situations where it will be ur fault if it falls short in some way? If so make it their choice, otherwise play safe lol.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    Although I aint bought either of these, I thought they may be useful suggestions. I've been looking at these to replace my ipad3. Theyre both copying the surface and come with keyboards, but can be used solely as a tablet too.

First one is the iwork12
    Spoiler:
    The Cube iwork12 is a cheaper version of the popular Core M3 powered Cube i9. The screen, outer housing, and keyboard dock are exactly the same as the i9 model. However the SSD, CPU and Type-C have been replaced with cheaper components. It’s running an Atom X5 Z8300 (quad-core with 1.84Ghz max clock) 4GB of 1600Mhz single channel RAM and a 64GB eMMC. The type-c port is now a MicroUSB port used for data in Android and charging.
    The below video reviews are broken into various sections. Check the index times to skip ahead to parts that interest you the most like gaming performance or battery life.
    Cube iwork12 Windows review:

• 03:32 – Screen
    • 05:08 – Windows & Benchmarks
    • 08:09 – Battery Life
    • 10:23 – 4k streaming test
    • 11:27 – Sound
    • 12:11 – Gaming
    • 15:33 – Conclusion

Cube iwork12 Android Review

• 01:13 Design and Build
    • 02:36 – Screen
    • 04:05 – ROM & Benchmarks
    • 05:51 – Battery life and charge times
    • 06:30 – Audio
    • 08:00 – Type Cover Keyboard
    • 09:30 – Browser Test
    • 10:33 – Cameras
    • 11:42 – Gaming (Injustice, King of Fighters & Dead Trigger)

Cube iwork12 review summary:

Design:
    The Cube iwrok12 has one of the better builds for a Chinese dual OS tablet, the same quality as the i9 with the exact same two position kickstand. The only difference is the rear alloy housing is now painted in a metallic silver and the front bezel around the screen is white. The iwork12 for now, is only available in this color.
    Windows 10:
    Battery life in Windows 10 is a good 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours more than Android’s 5 hours or so of battery life. Performance is on par with other Atom X5 Z8300 in benchmarks. But the system does feel smoother in Windows 10 then the higher resolution Chuwi Hi12 with it’s 2160 x 1440 screen.
    Android:
    Cube did a really good job with the Android ROM, no bloat and it’s very smooth and fast. Games are really smooth and fluid just like the ROM. 4GB of RAM is plenty for Android and helps to keep things moving very quickly.
    Screen:
    The 1920 x 1200 display is the exact one used in the Cube i9, it does have a layer under the touch digitizer that looks to be a matte anti-glare layer. It’s hard to notice, but looking at it closely you will see a slight grain to the display. It’s only really obvious on brighter colors like white or yellows. It has a max brightness of 250 cd/m2 and the touch screen is a focaltech one, not the common (And cheaper) Goodix. As a result, touch response is very fluid. smooth and accurate. One of the better screens for touch performance.
    Sound:
    The side firing speakers have more volume than 80% of the tablets of this class reviewed. Better than most, but a full volume (as heard i in the video reviews) there is a bit of distortion from the speakers. The 3.5mm headphone jack supports 4 pole plugs, so microphone support. There is the faintest amount of background static on the 3.5mm port. Barely audible
    Battery life and charging times:

• Android at 200nits the screen approximately 5 hours. (Wifi on)
    • Windows 10, six to six and a half hours wifi on and 50% brightness.
    • Fully charges from 2% in 3 hours and 48 minutes.
    • Charing when in use takes over 6 hours due to the power drain of being in use.

https://techtablets.com/cube-iwork12/review/

and

CHUWI Hi10

Spoiler:
    e Hi10 Plus, looks exactly like the Vi10 Plus. However, this version has 4GB of RAM and a 64GB eMMC and most importantly ships out with Windows 10 Home and Remix OS 2.0. It supports an optional keyboard type cover style doc that acts as a case, stand for the tablet and keyboard. It also supports an active stylus the HiPen H2, this stylus is a basic that doesn’t have any pressure sensitivity. Below is my detailed video review. Including a look at the stylus and even the HiBook Pro keyboard, which can also fit the Hi10 Plus even if it wasn’t designed for this model.

Chuwi Hi10 Plus review video index:

• 00:27 – Specs
    • 01:18 – Keyboard
    • 02:40 – Design, Build and Screen
    • 05:06 – Remix
    • 11:59 – HiBook Pro Keyboard dock
    • 13:03 – Active HiPen H2 Stylus
    • 15:07 – Windows 10
    • 18:36 – Final Words With Pros & Cons

Overall it’s not a bad tablet, the bright Surface 3 screen is a great 3:2 ratio screen and with it’s 1920 x 1280 resolution it’s not so taxing on the Atom X5 Z8300 like the 2560 x 1600 fully laminated display in the Chuwi HiBook Pro
    Disappointing to see yet again Chuwi downclocked the RAM to only 1066Mhz, they do this I think to increase the battery life. But it does lower the overall performance of the tablet, especially when gaming in Remix. And let’s face it the Atom X5 Z8300 needs all the speed it can get, so I recommend you increase this to 1600Mhz. I have encounted zero issues running the tablet at 1600Mhz.
    Sound, is another slightly disappointing point of the Hi10 Plus, slight static and buzz over the speakers and 3.5mm jack. Something the HiBook Pro I reviewed didn’t suffer from.
    And it’s a just a shame it has no full-sized USB ports. Something that made the old Bay Trail Chuwi Vi10 special was it’s full sized ports. Pros and cons as well as my rating, are below:

CHUWI HI10 PLUS CHUWI HI10 PLUS REVIEW HI10 PLUS REVIEW

GOOD

• Solid build quality
    • Ambient light sensor
    • Bright 3:2 ratio scree
    • Dual OS (Windows & Remix)
    • Plays Demanding Android Games
    • Good thermals
    • Good Wifi speeds
    • Windows Battery Life
    • Can dock with HiBook Pro Keyboard

BAD

• RAM Set To Only 1066Mhz By Default
    • No Full Sized USB Ports
    • Type-C port Runs At USB 2.0 Speeds
    • Not Running The Latest Remix 3.0 Version
    • Keyboard Fabric Is A Dust Magnet
    • Only Around 5 Hours Android Battery life
    • Stylus Has No Pressure Levels
    • Fixed Keyboard Angle.
    • 3.5mm Audio Static And Buzz

GOOD

Performance - 8

Build Quality And Design - 7.5

Display - 9

Sound - 6.5

Battery Life - 7.5

https://techtablets.com/chuwi-hi10-plus/review/
    according to the reviews there's a 12" version of this one too.

quoted reviews go a bit kooky in the spoilers, but the info is there. I'm swinging towards a 12 inch tablet to use as a laptop when travelling.

That Chuwi is some great kit for the money. Mate has an older one and it's pretty damn good. Not a surface by any shot, but doesn't cost anywhere as much either.

I would get one to replace my current kit when needed probably.

DJ OD