Close

Thread: Fake News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fake News

Fake News

So we keep hearing about fake news lately and of course it's used by losing parties to explain why they lost votes and such. I saw this article that broke down some definitions of news in it's own way which I thought was worth sharing

“Fake News” is the politico-media panic of the moment, blamed by Hillary supporters for the triumph of Trump. On social media the charge of “fake news” is levelled against any report the accuser disagrees with. That definition is useless and we need to better categorise political news terms. Below is Guido’s Guide to News…

• Disinformation: false information which is intended to mislead, especially propaganda issued by a government organisation to a rival power or the media. Example: “Dossier reveals Saddam Hussein’s armoury of chemical weapons is on standby for use within 45 minutes.”
    • Propaganda / Spin: one sided information. Advertising is a form of propaganda, political communication is invariably propaganda. Example: “24 hours to save the NHS“, “24 hours to save the pound.”
    • White propaganda: for the most part, truthful with factual elements, although not always the whole truth. Example: The BBC World Service’s Russian TV channel.
    • Grey propaganda: propaganda that seems like it’s presenting legitimate arguments with no agenda behind them, but often ultimately untrue. Example: “IMF says Brexit uncertainty would trigger UK recession” analysis that turned out to be propaganda based on the worst case scenarios of economists.
    • Black propaganda: information put out by an opposing government or institution and made to look as though it came from a friendly source. Example: the Zinoviev letter was a front page splash in the Daily Mail 4 days before the 1924 election, British security services faked a letter from Soviet official Grigory Zinoviev which damaged the Labour Party.
    • Objective news: this is the legally required output of the BBC and broadcasters in the UK. Supposedly balanced with both sides of an argument being presented to the viewer. This obviously raises the question of how you balance truth and falsehood or the political extremes against the mainstream. Example: supporters of monarchal absolutism never get a fair break on the BBC, do they?
    • Subjective news: what broadcasters and broadsheets actually produce even if they claim to produce objective news. Example: BBC report in 2005 “Himalayan glaciers ‘melting fast’ says study“. A decade later it turned out they meant by 2350 not 2035.
    • Fake news: news that is produced to either generate clicks and advertising revenue or to either enhance or discredit or boost a politician, policy or organisation. Ranging from hoaxes to lies. The originator of “fake news” knowingly produces it with the objective in mind. Example: Russian state-backed Sputnik News.
    • Alternative facts: untruths. Example: Sean Spicer on Trump’s inauguration crowd size, The Canary’s Portland conspiracy theory
    • News with views: news that mixes reporting of facts and events with an underlying slant, often ideological. Example: “Keith Vaz Is Not a Fit and Proper Person.”
    • Infotainment: most popular news about pop and soap stars, celebrities falls into this category. Politics is often described as showbiz for ugly people, which leads to infotainment reports. Largely harmless fun for readers. Example: Tory MP Shows His Cock to Kids.

4 Thanks given to c0axial

4me2 (16th February 2017),  Bald Bouncer (16th February 2017),  MHP (16th February 2017),  piggzy (16th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fake News

Yeah this has been winding me up. Fake news has always existed, but never been mentioned when the message that's being portrayed is what the media and elites want.

Now that things are starting to not go their way, the news is suddenly 'fake'. lol

2 Thanks given to flumperino

Bald Bouncer (16th February 2017),  MHP (16th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    Yeah this has been winding me up. Fake news has always existed, but never been mentioned when the message that's being portrayed is what the media and elites want.

Now that things are starting to not go their way, the news is suddenly 'fake'. lol
    I agree fake news has always existed but I think in the last few years we have seen a change or more a tactic in that more politicians etc have started to employ, rather than a defence or counter argument they seem to just reply with they are lies, they are lying, it's made up, it's not true etc but worse the public seem to be actually buying this and I suppose the reason for the massive increase in using it as a reply. I guess you could say the media has cried wolf so many times now to fit their own agenda it's easy to accept they are lying again.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

flumperino (16th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also I think partly helped by social media and other means of the internet people are having their eyes opened to "fake news" used as headline grabbing by the MSM to sell tabloids and influence people so to counteract they are acting as if this fake news epidemic is new and are using it as ammunition for other means for their causes and ways to attack their "enemies" for want of a better word.

With the lies also comes the ease at which they can do it as how many people can or can be bothered to look into if it is a lie or not ?!?!

Plenty of misinformation out there to back up a lie just as easily as the truth sometimes.

2 Thanks given to piggzy

Bald Bouncer (16th February 2017),  MHP (16th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I agree fake news has always existed but I think in the last few years we have seen a change or more a tactic in that more politicians etc have started to employ, rather than a defence or counter argument they seem to just reply with they are lies, they are lying, it's made up, it's not true etc but worse the public seem to be actually buying this and I suppose the reason for the massive increase in using it as a reply. I guess you could say the media has cried wolf so many times now to fit their own agenda it's easy to accept they are lying again.
    I love Theresa May's method of doing this. When some claim is made that she doesn't like, she just says 'I don't accept that'.

No counter argument or description of what is actually true.....just 'nah that's wrong, end of conversation'.

Thanks to flumperino

Bald Bouncer (16th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    I love Theresa May's method of doing this. When some claim is made that she doesn't like, she just says 'I don't accept that'.

No counter argument or description of what is actually true.....just 'nah that's wrong, end of conversation'.
    Good example and they all seem to be doing the same now, was like Donald Trump mocking that disabled reporter even though the footage was there for everyone to see he just said no I didn't and people seem to accept it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I watched a bit of the unscheduled Trump press conference earlier. Now off the bat I don't "like" the guy. I have many reasons and they are mine alone I hope I read up enough sources to at least have come to my own opinion. So with that said I can relate his frustration....But how is he handling it ? He is displaying all the lack of qualities that the nae sayers (Me ect) were afraid of. He is showing zero class...I mean ffs he is el presidenti. He is supposed to be above all of the shit. He isn't really supposed to care about what the media say....He is there to deliver his promises not moan about the political games that his opponents are playing.....He now knows how Obama felt after HE lost the senate....Trump doesn't know he's born lol he has a majority so although the democrats can and are slowing him down and the courts are just exposing the badly written and ill thought out presidential order to do with the ban from certain countries. His problem is within his own team because if the big guy signs a paper like that it should be bloody well water tight.
    But onto his speech....feck me calling out countries left right and centre....subtly threatening countries all over the world...WTF ?
    If he can prove a media organisation is printing blatant untruths then im sure the USA IS the place to be ...you can sue for $100 million for being mildly annoyed. Why does he not look at press regulation if it is needed ? I just don't know any more tbh. I still can't see him lasting 4 years....I even think natural causes may be on the list of possible fates that await him...he looks ready to explode...he is 70 ffs.