Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News British IS bomber didnt deserve compensation

A British IS fighter who carried out a suicide attack in Iraq should never have received a penny in compensation, a former independent reviewer of UK terrorism legislation has said.
    Jamal al-Harith reportedly received £1m from the British government after being freed from Guantanamo Bay in 2004.
    Lord Carlile said the payment was wrong as al-Harith was "plainly a terrorist".
    Former Prime Minister Tony Blair has defended his government's decision to free him from Guantanamo.
    Al-Harith, who was 50 and from Manchester, was originally known as Ronald Fiddler.
    He took the name Jamal al-Harith when he converted to Islam, but was known most recently by the nom-de-guerre Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, given to him by so-called Islamic State.
    Who are Britain’s jihadists?
    Al-Harith was seized by American forces in Pakistan in 2001, before being sent to Guantanamo Bay - a US prison in Cuba for terrorist suspects.
    US interrogators found he provided useful information about the Taliban's methods, and he was released after two years.
    He later joined IS and blew himself up at an Iraqi army base in Mosul this week.
    Lord Carlile - who reviewed terror laws from 2001 to 2011 - told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "It [the compensation] should never have been paid.
    "There was absolutely no merit in paying him a penny, because plainly he was a terrorist."
    He said he believed the settlement was paid to avoid disclosure in court of security service activities.
    "The government was quite right not to want to disclose those files, but plainly there is an anomaly between the United Kingdom where the threat of disclosure of such files led to the payment of compensation, and the United States where this man brought a legal action which failed."
    A Downing Street spokesman declined to answer questions about the reported payout, on the grounds it was an intelligence matter.
    But Mr Blair released a statement accusing the Daily Mail of "utter hypocrisy" after it ran a story about al-Harith on Wednesday headlined: "Still Think He Wasn't A Danger, Mr Blair? Fury at Labour government's £1m compensation for innocent Brit".
    He said the man's release in 2004 had "followed a Parliamentary and massive media campaign led by the Daily Mail... and strongly supported by the then Conservative Opposition".
    The former PM continued: "He was not paid compensation by my government. The compensation was agreed in 2010 by the [coalition] government...
    "The fact is that this was always a very difficult situation where any government would have to balance proper concern for civil liberties with desire to protect our security, and we were likely to be attacked whatever course we took.
    "The reason it did take a long time for their release was precisely the anxiety over their true affiliations."
    A senior Labour source told the Press Association detention camps like Guantanamo had been "a significant recruiter for terrorism".
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: British IS bomber didnt deserve compensation

So this guy
    brought a liable case against the U.S and failed
    He then was paid off by the British Government of 1million
    Then he goes and blows himself up

WTF is wrong with this country

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah if I had a million pounds last thing I would think of doing was strapping a bomb to myself ;-)

That million pound hush money he got would obviously have gone to the cause, so no wonder they got so much money if our government even funding them?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    WTF is wrong with this country
    a lot
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Family of British IS bomber deny £1m compensation payout

The family of a British IS fighter who carried out a suicide attack in Iraq deny he received £1m in compensation after being freed from Guantanamo Bay.
    It has been reported that Jamal al-Harith received the payout from the British government after being freed from captivity in 2004.
    The family say that figure was "a group settlement including costs for four innocent people including Jamal".
    Ex-PM Tony Blair has defended his government's decision to free him.
    Al-Harith, who was 50 and from Manchester, was originally known as Ronald Fiddler.
    He took the name Jamal al-Harith when he converted to Islam, but was known most recently by the nom-de-guerre Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, given to him by so-called Islamic State.
    Who are Britain’s jihadists?
    Al-Harith was seized by American forces in Pakistan in 2001, before being sent to Guantanamo Bay - a US prison in Cuba for terrorist suspects.
    US interrogators found he provided useful information about the Taliban's methods, and he was released after two years.
    He later joined IS and blew himself up at an Iraqi army base in Mosul this week.
    In a statement, al-Harith's family said they wished "to express their sorrow and distress at the news of his death", but were "concerned about the distorted and over-simplified reports they have seen in the news".
    "The Jamal they knew up until 2001 when he was taken to Guantanamo Bay would not have become involved with a despicable organisation such as so-called Islamic State. He was a peaceful and gentle person," it continued.
    "Whatever he may or may not have done since then they believe from their own experience he was utterly changed by the physical and mental cruelty and the inhuman treatment he endured for two years at Guantanamo."
    His relatives insisted he did not receive £1m in compensation, adding: "The family last heard from him in 2014 and have since then been desperately worried about his fate."
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unfortunately we will never know whether he previously had terrorist type inclinations or whether his spell in Guantanamo changed him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    Unfortunately we will never know whether he previously had terrorist type inclinations or whether his spell in Guantanamo changed him.
    Assuming he was a willing participant !

Media rarely focusses on that but I believe a lot are coerced with threats against their family or have a sniper aiming at them all the while.
    Don't get me wrong I know the vast majority are willing albeit mentally coerced.

Thanks to piggzy

Over Carl (22nd February 2017)