Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nintendo Switch

I'm not sure I've ever been as excited for a game release.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/03/01/fir...edge-magazine/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

gotta admit, that does look amazing - still not convinced but we shall see
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Zelda has reviewed quite well on the Switch...

EDGE 10
    Famitsu 40/40
    Gamepro 94/100
    Gamespot 10
    Jeuxvideo 20/20
    IGN 10/10
    Eurogamer Essential
    Vooks 5/5
    Giantbomb 5/5
    PressStart 10/10
    Easy Allies 4.5/5
    Jeuxvideo-live 18/20
    GoG 10/10
    Gamesradar 5/5
    Polygon 10/10
    Gamecentral 10/10
    GamersGlobal.de: 9.5/10
    Multiplayer.it 9.7/10
    Destructoid 10/10
    rpgsite 10/10
    NintendoLife 10/10
    Gamereactor Spain 10/10
    USGamer 5/5
    Kotaku "Best Zelda ever" aka 10/10

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switc...th-of-the-wild

Thanks to prezzy

Ganty (2nd March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

well its out and theirs already some controller sync issues relating to the left joy-con

ynx66r0iznjm4kjjymix.png

Some Nintendo Switch owners continue to say the console’s left Joy-Con controller has sync problems. Even after the console’s first system update, they’re left wondering what they can do for a fix.

The issue appears to occur while playing in TV mode and when the controller’s signal is interrupted, such as when another person stands between the Joy-Con and the Switch. This results in the left Joy-Con controller dropping connection or becoming unresponsive.

Please note that not everyone is currently experiencing this. Here are some who apparently have been:

There are some reports of sync issues in Japan, with the left Joy-Con being seen as the problem.

“When I detach the left Joy-Con, I cannot use it.”

“In short, the left Joy-Con buttons aren’t getting any response.”

Once again, the left Joy-Con controller could be the culprit. Eguri89 experienced lag in TV Mode as well as in Tabletop Mode.

Konami has actually issued a statement about the Super Bomberman R lag, recommending that for battle mode, players don’t use the Joy-Con Grip, but rather change to Handheld Mode or detach the Joy-Con controllers for Tabletop Mode.

Yet, as this Twitter user shows, there still appears to be lag in Tabletop Mode with the left Joy-Con. (His character is in the upper right corner. The delay is most noticeable when the game clock is between 2:30 and 2:22.)

Oddly, in Handheld Mode, Super Bomberman R also appears to suffer from lag in the above clip, leading to Eguri89 to wonder if the problem was with the game itself rather than the hardware.

Prior to the console’s release, there have been reports of sync snafus. In Kotaku’s Switch review, for example, Kirk Hamilton mentioned the left Joy-Con issue, writing, “I’ve also run into a frustrating issue where the left Joy-Con momentarily loses tracking and stops responding to my inputs. I’ll be playing Zelda with the two Joy-Con combined on the grip, and the left thumbstick momentarily detaches from the game.” Other Kotaku staffers (and other Switch reviewers) have also experienced left Joy-Con sync problems.

Digital Foundry examined the issue, creating this chart to explain the Joy-Con sync quality.

Digital Foundry noted that the signal strength is not as strong as that of a regular game controller. “The fact there is a difference at all between the two Joy-Cons here is curious though,” Digital Foundry added. “After all, the right Joy-Con has only two spec differences, in its extra infra-red pointer and NFC chip.” Besides this, it continues, the controllers are the same. (For more, read Digital Foundry’s full report.)

Source
    Last edited by Mystical_2K; 3rd March 2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot source link
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

managed to have a play with one of these last night. Didn't have a chance to have a go with the iPad screen thingy, but on the tv it plays a lot like the Wii did, just modernised.

i don't like the fact that one joy stick has to be held in the left hand and the other on the right for multiplayer games, meaning if you have the left side you're at a disadvantage if you're not a lefty.

its enjoyable, but not worth the price for me.

Thanks to -G-Man-

Mystical_2K (6th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am sorta interested in Switch and if any of the stores I walked past at the weekend would have had stock I probably would have picked one up. I'm slightly worried at the lack of software though so might hang fire until the next wave of Nintendo's games arrive.

I'm no nintendo fan boy (I've never played Zelda on any generation!) but I have played my Wii U loads. Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart and the Toad Treasure Tracker game have had more play time each than my xbox one has had in total !
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone had any of these issues? I'd be pissed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Anyone had any of these issues? I'd be pissed.

Oh oh... That looks pretty bad to be fair. You would be fucking fuming.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Some common issues on the new Switch and workarounds

1) NINTENDO SWITCH DEAD PIXEL PROBLEM: WHAT IS IT AND WHAT CAN I DO?
    The latest Nintendo Switch problem to rear its head is the 'dead pixel' issue, whereby users are noticing dark patches on their device's touchscreen as a result of stuck or dead pixels.

This might be the most frustrating problem yet, as Nintendo is currently refusing to cop to it being a legitimate complaint.

Instead, the Japanese games giant has issued a statement saying that "small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens," adding that this is "normal and should not be considered a defect."

Worse still, this isn't the first time Nintendo has experienced this issue with one of its handheld console – the DS also suffered from dead pixels when it launched back in 2004, and other manufacturers like Sony (with the PSP) have had similar issues.

That's the bad news.

The slightly better news is that you have a couple of options at this early stage.

The first is to try and return your Switch, though your mileage may vary here.

As Nintendo is sticking to its guns and refusing to class this as a 'fault', High Street stores don't technically have an obligation to refund you, especially as you'll have to have broken the seal to have noticed the problem in the first place.

However, it's worth a shot, as in our experience you might get lucky and encounter a sympathetic fellow gamer behind the counter.

image: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/...6/switch-4.jpg

Switch

If you bought the Switch online, you've got an even better chance, thanks to the Consumer Contracts Regulations. This stipulates that all products purchased online can be returned for up to 14 days. So long as the seller didn't specifically state that "dead pixels may occur in this product" (or similar), you should be covered.

Your final option is probably the least attractive, but it's still worth mentioning. Back when the DS suffered a similar fate, Nintendo eventually backtracked on its initial stance and started offering refunds.

Given the amount of negative publicity the dead pixel problem is getting, we suspect Nintendo may opt to do this sooner rather than later, but we don't know for sure.

2) MY SWITCH WON'T TURN ON, HOW DO I HARD RESET?
    Some users have found their console won't turn on. Besides the obvious flat battery, which we're sure you've already thought of, your next option is hard reset. Here's what Nintendo says:

"There is a chance that the console has frozen with a black screen. Look at the console in a darkened room and see if any light is coming from the screen. If so, the console has frozen. Hold the POWER Button for 12 seconds or more to turn the console off.

Then, press the POWER Button again [emphasis added] to turn the console on again."

That last bit is important. You can't just hold down the button to reset the console, you have to then press the button again to turn it on.

If you have this problem and this solution didn't help, please let us know in the comments.

3) JOY-CON L DOESN’T WORK PROPERLY
    This has unfortunately been a pretty common problem among early units, and a particular issue for us.

While playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild with the Switch in its Dock and the Joy-Con either in the Grip or held in each hand, at times players can lose control of Link on the left analogue stick, housed in the left Joy-Con. Link will continue wandering in a direction for a few seconds before the player regains control, which can significantly hamper the gameplay experience.

After testing, it seems that when the line of sight between console and Joy-Con is impeded, the console has huge problems reading the input of Joy-Con L. I’ve tested this myself in the console’s analogue stick calibration options and it’s clear that even by simply placing my hand over the controller the Switch has real trouble tracking the analogue stick input.

We contacted Nintendo, and the response was “we are now investigating, and we cannot make any further comments now.” So hopefully a fix is on its way, but we don’t know when.

Until Nintendo comes up with a solution, keeping a clear line of sight between Switch and Joy-Con helps alleviate the issue significantly. Also don’t let your fingers rest atop the Joy-Con while playing, as this can sometimes affect the signal. Not ideal, but right now it's the best way to avoid the frustration.

In our experience, the problem doesn’t occur in handheld, tabletop mode or while using the Pro Controller .

Related: Splatoon 2 preview

image: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/...ndo-switch.jpg

Nintendo Switch

4) MY BATTERY PACK WON’T CHARGE THE SWITCH
    The Nintendo Switch supports USB-C, meaning you can theoretically charge the device using any portable battery pack. However, the Switch includes a substantial battery to power it, and therefore you’ll need a pretty powerful battery pack to charge it quickly enough.

A standard battery pack's voltage output may be too low to charge the device. Also, the Switch seems to require a USB-C to USB-C charger in order to get its power fast enough. In our review battery testing, for instance, an Anker PowerCore 20100 was only able to charge the device 3% in 15 minutes, despite having a powerful enough output to match the Switch AC Adapter's 5V/3A charge. It’s important to pay attention to a battery pack’s potential output as well as how much charge it can hold.

We'll be testing the USB-C to USB-C version of that portable battery charger soon to see how that impacts charging performance.

Related: Nintendo Switch Accessories and Case Guide

5) MY GAME CARTRIDGE DOESN’T WORK
    It’s possible that, when you place a cartridge in the Switch, the console won’t acknowledge that there's a game inserted. Try removing and then re-inserting the cartridge into the console and seeing if the game works then.

If the cartridge still doesn’t work, try inserting another game (if you have one) to see if it's a hardware or software issue. If this isn’t possible, the best bet is to return the game and try another cartridge before being able to assess whether it's the Switch or game that's at fault.

6) CAN I USE MY WIRELESS HEADPHONES?
    Nope, sorry. The Nintendo Switch doesn’t support wireless headphones. Although the device has Bluetooth, this is reserved for the Joy-Con and Pro Controller. To use headphones they must be plugged directly into the Switch.

This is less than ideal when gaming on the go or even at home on the TV and you want to keep the volume down. If you’ve got a pair of wireless headphones which lack a headphone jack, you may want to invest in another, cheaper pair to play the Switch on your travels.

Alternatively, there are Bluetooth adapters that will plug into the headphone jack so you can connect to wireless headphones. We're getting one in to test first to make sure it works, however, so watch this space.

Related: Upcoming Nintendo Switch Games

image: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/...o-switch-8.jpg

Nintendo Switch

7) DOES THE SWITCH SUPPORT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY?
    Again, you’re out of luck. Because of the Switch offering proprietary software storage in the form of game cartridges, you won’t be able to play your Wii U, GameCube or any other previously released Nintendo console games with this device. You could, however, buy them again via the Switch Virtual Console, but then we have another problem…

Where’s the Virtual Console?

So, the Virtual Console – one of the major selling points behind any Nintendo system – won't be ready in time for the Switch launch.

Nintendo is keeping its cards close to its chest about when the VC will be coming to the Switch, stating that an announcement will be made in the future. Unfortunately this is a “wait and see”.

8) I’VE RUN OUT OF STORAGE – WHAT DO I DO?
    Good news! It’s very easy (and relatively cheap) to expand the storage of the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo has been pretty poor with its offering of only 32GB of internal storage on the Switch, 6GB of which will be taken up by the operating system, meaning it won’t be long before you’ll need to expand.

Thankfully, the console supports microSD cards, which aren’t too expensive at retail outlets. Simply stick your microSD card in the slot found underneath the kickstand.

9) MY KICKSTAND BROKE OFF – WHAT NOW?
    Did you shove your console in the dock without closing the kickstand? You silly billy, don’t worry, Nintendo has thought about this and built it into the design of the Switch. The reason why the kickstand is made from a cheaper and flimsier piece of plastic than the rest of the device is because of this very situation. Nintendo expects players to snap the stand off.

Simply stick it back in and it should clip back in place. Nintendo does, however, warn against continuous wear and tear, so try to learn from your mistake.

10) MY TV KEEPS CHANGING CHANNEL WHEN THE SWITCH IS DOCKED
    This is a problem a few people have run into, and unfortunately once again there doesn’t seem to be a definitive solution outside of a patch from Nintendo.

It appears that when the Switch is placed into the dock, it sends a signal to the TV, which means the TV then changes to whichever input the console is outputting to. This is frustrating if you only want to stick the thing on charge and not continue playing.

Also, randomly, my TV (a Samsung KS7000) has switched over from Freeview to the Switch’s HDMI, as if at times the console will decide to send a signal to my telly to let it know it’s still around.

There have been a couple of potential solutions, and whether they work or not depends on a few different things.

One solution is turning off your TV’s HDMI-CEC, which automatically switches the channel based on when you turn on devices like game consoles. I did this, and it proved only a temporary fix.

Instead, I’ve simply had to grin and bare it by either simply docking the console when the adverts are on and flicking back to what I was watching, or charging the Switch undocked by plugging the AC adapter directly into the bottom of the machine. This is one that feels like it needs a firmware update from Nintendo.

Related: Nintendo Switch vs PS4 and Xbox One

image: http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/...o-switch-4.jpg

Nintendo Switch

11) MY JOY-CON GRIP ISN’T CHARGING THE CONTROLLERS
    That’s because the Grip that comes with the console doesn’t charge the controllers. Yup, that’s right, to charge the Joy-Con they need to be attached to the Switch itself. The Joy-Con include a battery life of around 20 hours, but when they run out of juice, they must be attached to the Switch.

You can, alternatively, buy a Joy-Con Charging Grip which allows you to play and charge the controllers at the same time. But, as noted in our review, for £30 it’s an incredibly pricey accessory considering its tacky build and limited functionality. You’re better off saving your money and just playing in handheld mode for a while to get you through the evening before charging the Joy-Con overnight.

12) MY GAME CARTRIDGE TASTES FUNNY, WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?
    Nintendo coats the cartridges with a substance that makes them taste unpleasant to discourage children from putting them in their mouths. So, you know, find something else to chew on...

Source http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/n...Ik9ZJ1ksTXb.99

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_2K;

5) MY GAME CARTRIDGE DOESN’T WORK
    It’s possible that, when you place a cartridge in the Switch, the console won’t acknowledge that there's a game inserted. Try removing and then re-inserting the cartridge into the console and seeing if the game works then.
    What about the good old blow on the cartridge method that used to eat into my NES playing time.

Thanks to moonrat

Mystical_2K (9th March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by moonrat View Post
    What about the good old blow on the cartridge method that used to eat into my NES playing time.
    great days!

Thanks to Mystical_2K

moonrat (13th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

That seems like a LOT of issues so early ?? I was always of the assumption that Nintendo were pretty solid and issue free at launch or am I wrong.

Never been an early adopter on Nintendo gear if at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I don't have the Switch, but picked up the new Zelda for Wii U last week.
    30 hours in and I have to say, it is possibly the greatest game I've ever played. The reviews weren't exaggerated.

The only word I can really use to describe it is joyous. Every single tree, every cliff, every item has been designed and placed with so much care, the physics are incredible.

After 30 hours, I've finished -
    1 out of 4 dungeons
    23 out of 120 shrines
    7 out of ??? sidequests
    And still have 3 portions of the map I haven't discovered.

Get this game people.

2 Thanks given to Ganty

Mystical_2K (13th March 2017),  prezzy (31st March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    Well I don't have the Switch, but picked up the new Zelda for Wii U last week.
    30 hours in and I have to say, it is possibly the greatest game I've ever played. The reviews weren't exaggerated.

The only word I can really use to describe it is joyous. Every single tree, every cliff, every item has been designed and placed with so much care, the physics are incredible.

After 30 hours, I've finished -
    1 out of 4 dungeons
    23 out of 120 shrines
    7 out of ??? sidequests
    And still have 3 portions of the map I haven't discovered.

Get this game people.
    so, you like it then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just bought a switch, it's arriving tomorrow. No software as yet though. What do you lot recommend ? Eshop and physical ?

Cheers,

Malty
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You got Zelda? that is all you need... Amazing game, open world awesomeness so fucking addictive
    Going to complete this tomorrow all shrines done and a shitload of side quests - easily one of the best games I have ever played....
    Sunk over 100 hours into it and not touched any other games while I have had it - horizon on the ps4 pro while an amazing game has not tempted me away!

RMX - really good and well worth the money for a download
    Bomberman - just like the old ones and again well worth it - great fun in either local or online mp
    World of Goo - was and is quality
    they have splatoon 2 and mario karts out soon
    plenty to go at

I am waiting on the new mario world game that is going to be fucking epic

Thanks to prezzy

maltloaf (30th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I haven't got or played Zelda on any console, ever but I do fancy this one. You can't deny the user and pro reviews.

I fancy Fast rmx. Looks superb and I also fancy the neo geo stuff that's about.

Thanks for the reply.

Malty

Thanks
    Karma Level

Isaac. End of (not sure if it's out yet in EU). It's the main reason I'm trying to justify cost of switch. I have 1500 hours in pc and Xbox and would love to play at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by moonrat View Post
    Isaac. End of (not sure if it's out yet in EU). It's the main reason I'm trying to justify cost of switch. I have 1500 hours in pc and Xbox and would love to play at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doesn't look like there's a uk release for that...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    Doesn't look like there's a uk release for that...
    Will be soon. If not(it will) then it's it not hard to create North American account and buy from store, or buy from Amazon physical copy (Nintendo so they are not region locked). My vocabulary doesn't do justice to what true mobile Isaac would mean to me (paid tenner for iOS, but it's shit).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast