New PC

Thread: New PC

  1. ss30's Avatar

    ss30 said:

    Default New PC

    Hi I'm getting a new PC today, nothing special but I want it to be set up to be as fast as it can with out overclocking.

    The PC i'm using at the mo has a 120gb SSD as the C Drive and a 1TB for the D Drive, Windows and all of the programs I run are on the C Drive and all the porn and shit is on the D Drive.(even though the C Drive is only 120gb their is still 30gb free)

    The PC I have just bought has no OS and comes with a 1TB HDD so I will have a 120gb SSD and 2x1TB HDD's the question is :-

    Should I set it up with 3 Drives install Windows on the SSD (C Drive) and all of the programs on the 1TB (setup as D Drive) and keep my existing 1TB(E Drive) for the porn and shit.

    C Drive 120gb SSD just for Windows
    D Drive 1TB HDD Just for Installed programs
    E Drive 1TB HDD for downloads

    Or

    Should I set it up the same as my old PC 120gb SSD (C Drive) for Windows and programs and my existing 1TB (D Drive).

    C Drive 120gb SSD Windows and programs
    D Drive 1TB HDD For downloads

    Will the 3 Drive setup be any quicker?

    At the mo I don't need any more HDD space the 1TB drive is enough(if I did use the other 1TB drive I would only fill it with more porn and shit)

    Thanks.

    SS30
    Last edited by ss30; 24th February 2017 at 11:27 AM.
     
  2. akimba's Avatar

    akimba said:

    Default Re: New PC

    partitioning the 1TB shouldn't make it quicker as it is still the same physical head going to disk to read and write but for neatness yeah sounds like a plan ;-)
     
  3. ss30's Avatar

    ss30 said:

    Default Re: New PC

    Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    partitioning the 1TB shouldn't make it quicker as it is still the same physical head going to disk to read and write but for neatness yeah sounds like a plan ;-)
    3 drive setup(120gb SSD and 2x1TB HDD's) or keep as a 2 drive setup(120GB SSD and 1TB HDD)?
    Last edited by ss30; 24th February 2017 at 11:24 AM.
     
  4. evilsatan's Avatar

    evilsatan said:

    Default Re: New PC

    Install everything on the SSD or else you won't benefit from SSD speeds when launching those apps. With the 2x1TB you can either keep one spare, use Drivepool/JBOD to turn them into a single volume. If your board has RAID you can use RAID0 if you want to stripe them to a single volume with no redundancy or RAID1 if you want 1TB of space with redundancy.

     
  5. Mickey's Avatar

    Mickey said:

    Default Re: New PC

    As above
    c drive (SSD)
    then whatever you want for the other 2 HDs

    keep all Windows items installed on c.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
     
  6. ss30's Avatar

    ss30 said:

    Default Re: New PC

    Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Install everything on the SSD or else you won't benefit from SSD speeds when launching those apps. With the 2x1TB you can either keep one spare, use Drivepool/JBOD to turn them into a single volume. If your board has RAID you can use RAID0 if you want to stripe them to a single volume with no redundancy or RAID1 if you want 1TB of space with redundancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    As above
    c drive (SSD)
    then whatever you want for the other 2 HDs

    keep all Windows items installed on c.
    Will do
     
  7. Scal's Avatar

    Scal said:

    Default Re: New PC

    One downside to this is if the 1tb's spin down you can be sat waiting for them to spin up - even if the app being launched is installed on the C drive.

    I have a similar setup 120g SSD and a 1tb and and additional 3tb and theres a few times where i have to wait 10-20 seconds for the drive to spin up before the app launches.

    Pagefile is on my C drive, cant tell if anything is on the other drive causing this.
     
  8. Mystical_2K's Avatar

    Mystical_2K said:

    Default Re: New PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    One downside to this is if the 1tb's spin down you can be sat waiting for them to spin up - even if the app being launched is installed on the C drive.

    I have a similar setup 120g SSD and a 1tb and and additional 3tb and theres a few times where i have to wait 10-20 seconds for the drive to spin up before the app launches.

    Pagefile is on my C drive, cant tell if anything is on the other drive causing this.
    You can disable the spin-down on certain drives, look for a tool on the manufacturers website
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.
     
  9. WRATH OF BOD's Avatar

    WRATH OF BOD said:

    Default Re: New PC

    some drives you cant stop them spinning down, i use NoSleepHD v1.0. works great
     
  10. CallmeGoose's Avatar

    CallmeGoose said:

    Default Re: New PC

    Quote Originally Posted by WRATH OF BOD View Post
    some drives you cant stop them spinning down, i use NoSleepHD v1.0. works great
    I have a western digital mybook and it's a pain in the arse waiting for it to spin back up ..... I wonder if this tool will do the job of keeping it awake

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
  11. WRATH OF BOD's Avatar

    WRATH OF BOD said:

    Default Re: New PC

    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    I have a western digital mybook and it's a pain in the arse waiting for it to spin back up ..... I wonder if this tool will do the job of keeping it awake

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    i use it in 3 WD drive it works fine
     
  12. josweet's Avatar

    josweet said:

    Default Re: New PC

    If you watch alot of porn as would make it a dualboot machine with linux, as porn sites are full of walware. Its easy to do aswell