Close

Thread: Switch Hacked

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Switch Hacked

The Nintendo Switch has been hacked using a WebKit exploit

The Nintendo Switch has been hacked using a WebKit exploit on the device's web browser, potentially paving the way to custom software and other device exploits.

This exploit uses the CVE-201604567 WebKit bug, which was also used to exploit iOS 9.3. At this time the exploit is merely a proof of concept and cannot be used to change the Nintendo Switch, though this may change over time as Hackers analyse the device further.

It is clear here that Nintendo did not pay much attention to their web browser, or have taken any precautions to avoid this known exploit and protect their device. Right now it is unknown how far this exploit will take hackers, though many see this as a starting point that will eventually bring emulators and other additional 3rd party apps to the platform.
    Right now it is unclear why Nintendo left their latest console prone to an existing exploit, though the likely answer is a rushed development on the software side, especially given this device's lack of Netflix or YouTube app at launch.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/sys...bkit_exploit/1

2 Thanks given to WRATH OF BOD

Bald Bouncer (13th March 2017),  piggzy (13th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Switch Hacked

Quote Originally Posted by WRATH OF BOD View Post
    At this time the exploit is merely a proof of concept and cannot be used to change the Nintendo Switch, though this may change over time as Hackers analyse the device further.
    Interesting but there have been other "proof of concept" hacks on other consoles e.g. Xbox ONE. Years later.... nothing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

they prob let it ride knowing it would sell more units then patch it later.

Thanks to consoles

Ashley (14th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is useful for tinkerers but I imagine that it will be patched on the fly. I think the Switch will get hacked before the PS4 or XB1 and imagine this will be the final console that will be hackable in any real way. With more and more developers producing online only games it is much easier to detect and block consoles that have been modded.

MS have made the bold move of the Universal Apps which make the XBox a great platform for third party/home grown apps. The PS4 and Switch - the only real reason for hacking would be for piracy.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    The PS4 and Switch - the only real reason for hack1ng would be for piracy.
    I know I might be alone in this but I genuinely couldn't be arsed to fuck about with a console the way you had to with the 360 anymore. I was flashing the drive for just about everyone I knew and I spent a small fortune on Verbatim discs and at the end of it all, I had God knows how many games of which I only actually completed about a dozen. I must have had well over 150 games lying around at one point. Now, I buy one or two games and complete them before I move on. I was probably more out of pocket due to piracy on the 360 than I am now!

4 Thanks given to TJB

Ashley (15th March 2017),  crazyal (27th March 2017),  cyprus (15th March 2017),  ilscuro (14th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a different view on this. I loved the hacked Xbox Original with the fantastic XBMC that wouldn't have happened without the hack. Loved FSD on the 360 and all the emulator stuff.

I know as mentioned above saying hack for the one not much point as everything online but am I really the only one who does fuck all online gaming. The kids do and I dabbled but I just couldn't be arsed with stupid fucking 12 year old yanks screaming cunt and faggot at each other.

Yes I play games that are online like Far Cry 4 but I play it offline (does that make sense).

For me the hack isn't so much about piracy as it is homebrew and having the freedom to shoehorn shit on the box I bought ... yes shit that I will use twice ;-)