Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

respect Any Private Pilot Licence holders?

Hey all,

As I turned 40 this year, I decided to mark the occasion by fulfilling a life long ambition... learning to fly.

Earlier this month I passed my written theory exams (all 9 of the fuckers) and am now ready for the practical flight training, which I plan to do in Spain (mainly because of the weather) later in the year.

All going well I should have a newly minted PPL issued by the British Civil Aviation Authority (since Spain and Britain are EASA countries).

Cheers
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any Private Pilot Licence holders?

Good for you mate. It's something I've looked in to but the price has meant it is (currently) out of reach.

What are the fees in Spain? This company in Cyprus offers Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL) package for €6,902. Is there much difference between that an a PPL?

Thanks to cyprus

jaygo (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also, their PPL with night training is €10,472 and they do their training from Larnaca Airport. I can sort you out with an apartment by the beach at mates rates if you're interested.

Thanks to cyprus

GTI (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    Good for you mate. It's something I've looked in to but the price has meant it is (currently) out of reach.

What are the fees in Spain? This company in Cyprus offers Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL) package for €6,902. Is there much difference between that an a PPL?
    Cheers Matey,

Price and time were always major factors for me but the missus has been very good to me in making this her 40th B'day gift + I carried over two weeks holiday from last year so I have a good month an a half to get this done.

Its about €10,000 all in (45 hours flying time, practical exam, accommodation for 4 weeks etc..) and I plan to do it in Jerez with this mob. I did look at Malta and Cyprus too, but none of the schools offer the accelerated 4 week course I am looking for.

As for the differences between LAPL and PPL, there aren't that many apart from the fact that you cannot fly with an LAPL outside of Europe. Its very much a European licence designed to meet the minimum requirements and get more people in the air. And one of the reasons I want a PPL is to be able to hire a plane whenever I am Stateside since its cheaper than Europe and much more geared up for General Aviation.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Clubber Lang (21st March 2017),  cyprus (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    And one of the reasons I want a PPL is to be able to hire a plane whenever I am Stateside since its cheaper than Europe and much more geared up for General Aviation.
    You make it sounds like hiring a car. I have no issues flying but that is because I assume the chap in the cockpit knows what he is doing but the thought of ever doing it myself terrifies me.

You must have balls of steel.

Thanks to piggzy

jaygo (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    You make it sounds like hiring a car. I have no issues flying but that is because I assume the chap in the cockpit knows what he is doing but the thought of ever doing it myself terrifies me.

You must have balls of steel.
    I'm terrified of it, most flying school Cessna's are over 30 years old with big, gas guzzling carb engines and Reagan era instruments. So with that in mind I intend to take a very risk averse approach of only flying in clear, calm conditions and being very anal about running checklists. Most accidents are due to adverse weather or pilot error and both of those can be managed to some extent.

I am a pretty rational person, and I know that I am as likely to die on the motorway than up in a light aircraft.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

piggzy (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

A friend of mine had ideas of becoming a pilot. His two brothers went to University and his parents funded that, so feeling guilty they bought him a block of flying lessons one Christmas. He had one lesson, found out how much reading/theory he would have to do and decided it wasn't for him. That was years ago now, but I still remind him (and his parents) of what an ungrateful cunt he is, usually around Christmas time.

4 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

coin-op (20th March 2017),  cyprus (21st March 2017),  GTI (20th March 2017),  piggzy (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know ex member Fon has held his for many years. I believe he now teaches...Although don't quote me on that im not 100% sure. Way back in the day on modshack I do recall him talking about it all ect sounded a blast to be fair...but not on my todo list lol.....Im good at wiring stuff...I know im good at wiring stuff....most anything else I get someone else who is "good" at it to do it for me....That includes flying lol. With all that said I wish you all the best of British and do keep us updated.

2 Thanks given to DavidF

GTI (20th March 2017),  Mobileman (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I rem him talking about flying near emley moor was foggy as hell and shitting bricks he had a close call

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are on modshack search for a thread titled flying lessons. Fon actually wrote a good post about what to watch out for ect ect. I would have copied it and credited it to him but as he is banned on both forums.....I didn't know weather it was the "right" thing to do lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    He had one lesson, found out how much reading/theory he would have to do and decided it wasn't for him
    I can see the theory being a major obstacle for many people, but you only need to have passed your written exams before your first solo flight.

To save time I did a one week intensive ground-school in Hertfordshire where they cram the theory into your head and then test you at the end of each subject. I've never worked so hard in my life, 8am to 8pm every day in order to clear all 9 exams. Having said that I scraped a pass in Meteorology and Flight planning (but there are Apps for those )
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why so much theory. You have less traffic to worry about, no learners, chavs in Corsa's, no U Turns, Emergency stops and you wont hit a tree unless you are really shit.

Granted you have a few more buttons.

Is it all to do with learning how to communicate with the authorities correctly and not get shot down for being mistaken as a rogue Russian jet ?
    Do you have to learn and keep updated on no fly zones or permitted flight paths or something ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here are the 9 exam subjects

Air Law
    Human Performance
    Meteorology
    Comms
    Principles of Flight
    Operational Procedures
    Flight Performance and Planning
    Aircraft General Knowledge
    Navigation

I don't think flying a plane is all that difficult in clear and calm conditions, if you can nail landings on a flight simulator you're good to go. What is difficult is navigation, communication, meterology and being able to troubleshoot on the fly e.g. spluttering engine at 2000 ft with no airport in sight. As for Airspace, the London area is meant to be a nightmare with strictly controlled height and area restrictions, which means flying through fairly narrow corridors or face big fines.

If I do get my licence in Spain, there is no way I would attempt to fly in or around London without an instructor and an extra 10 or so hours with him/her.
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

CzarJunkie (21st March 2017),  piggzy (20th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jeeeez, Good luck and happy 40th.

It's all very interesting but I'll leave it to the experts.. :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

A mate of mine whom I have not seen now for a number of years now, sadly (unless you count seeing him on the telly). He went to the states to get his commercial airline pilots license (I think it was Florida, but I may be wrong). Anyway, he came out of it with his license, got a job with one of the major airlines, and decided instead to fill his time participating in his favourite hobby. Poker. Primarily Texas Hold-Em, but also Omaha Hi-Lo.

To cut a long story short, I don't think he ever piloted a commercial flight, and I suspect his parents where right pissed off about it. That said, a few years back he won his first (of 2) World Series of Poker bracelets and last time I looked his live poker earnings was pushing close on $2,000,000.

* I once asked him if there was any truth re the flushing of the loo on a flight going straight outside. He said it wasn't true, but he did say that the water from the sink goes straight outside. Ever since I have felt the need to take a sneaky piss in the sink, whenever flying over France.

3 Thanks given to tips

GTI (21st March 2017),  Mystical_2K (21st March 2017),  piggzy (21st March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck bud , and let us know how you get on , something iv always wanted to do my self .

Thanks to plug1

GTI (21st March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck with this mate, its definitely not for me (I panic enough when someone who knows what they are doing is flying it, let alone a prick like me being in control) but I wish you all the best with it.
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

GTI (21st March 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A colleague has a private pilots licence. He couldn't fly for a while due to a medical condition but he's OK again now.

He was telling me about an incident in the past. He was flying using rivers, railways and roads as a guide. He thought he was following the A38 but he was heading straight for east midlands airport. Had to do a right turn very quickly. I asked him did the airport give you a bollocking over the radio and he replied "oh no, the radio was knackered".

Good luck up there 😀
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

GTI (21st March 2017)