Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default BMW 1 Series and Voice control

Ok,

So, the other half got herself a 16 plate 116D Sport. Suits all the requirements she needs in a car. However we can't for the life of us get the voice control button to do anything. I understand that some cars it isn't enabled - this correct? One thing she did appreciate having in her Focus, was the voice control to call a contact so literally everything was hands free.

She has the built in Sat Nav which in understand all BMW's have now. I would have thought there'd be a method of voice controlling it too.

The guy in the BMW dealership said she has to download an app in order to get her phone to work with voice controls. It is connected via bluetooth as she can receive calls ok and she can make them by using the button / dial controls but to be honest, I think having to do that is just as distracting as holding a darn phone in your hand.

So, I understand there are a lot of BMW owners knocking about here.. what do we need to do to get her 116D to have voice control via the button? She has a Galaxy S6 Edge btw for her phone.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BMW 1 Series and Voice control

I aint got a new new BMW but on mine I paired the phone let it sync.
    Hit the voice control button and say "call John" and it rings James perfect ;-)

I love it when it reads out text messages as well especially with swear words in them ;-D

Thanks to akimba

dpSparhawk (21st March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah the phone is sync'd and calls can be made from hitting the phone button (centre console) and dialling through the address book but the Voice control button doesn't seem to do anything. BMW said she needed an app on the phone. I've looked at BMW Connecteddrive but £165??? We just want basic voice control for calls / nav. Surely, it's just something basic but I've been through all the menus...

If can't get it sorted by the weekend, I'll give BMW a call.

Expect such basic functions to work in a BMW... not like it's a French car!

Ps. I hear ya on the "Calling the wrong person thing"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like car was programmed by an independent who wasn't connected to the BMW online server so it has lost it's FSC code.

If car came with voice, i believe it will automatically come back if you get BMW to update the car. If it didn't originally come with voice then might cost a bit to get to get it back.

I must admit i know the older E Series cars more intimately so there is a chance i am wrong.

Thanks to Over Carl

dpSparhawk (21st March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers.

I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Can't even begin to imagine why a 16 plate car wouldn't come with VC as standard nowadays.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually......

Seems that there are two different versions of voice control for this car. One is only for the phone, one controls other car functions as well.

If it was supposed to have voice for phone only, that is probably an incorrect coding setting.

If it was supposed to have voice for phone and other car features, then probably needs FSC.

Down side is either way it's probably got to go back to the dealer to be reprogrammed.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 22nd March 2017 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks to Over Carl

JonEp (22nd March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my bmw voice control is an optional extra which I dont have. Like yours I have sat nav etc but the only use I can get from voice control is by holding the voice button on the steering whell for a few seconds, then this connects me to the Google on the phone. I can say call (anyone in my contacts) or read text pretty much whatever you can do with Google voice commands on the phone. But I cannot control the sat nav or idrive on the car, however I'm pretty sure you can get this coded in.