Sony CD player laser

Thread: Sony CD player laser

josweet said:

Default Sony CD player laser

Can anyone recommend where to buy a Kss-213B laser for a Sony CD player. I recently bought a "new" one from Ebay (china) which after the 1 month postal wait, turned out to be a weak pile of shite!
    Im 99% sure its the laser as any disc i try, the cd spins up as it should after closing the tray but is unable to see the CD. Laser also looks very weak and can only just be seen.

evilsatan said:

Default Re: Sony CD player laser

I thought CD reader lasers were IR but not sure, would explain why it looks dim though. Not sure where else to look for another though :/

DJ Overdose said:

Is there a reason u want to revitalise such a device as a CD player?

DJ OD
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

{{909}} said:

Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    Can anyone recommend where to buy a Kss-213B laser for a Sony CD player. I recently bought a "new" one from Ebay (china) which after the 1 month postal wait, turned out to be a weak pile of shite!
    Im 99% sure its the laser as any disc i try, the cd spins up as it should after closing the tray but is unable to see the CD. Laser also looks very weak and can only just be seen.

Are there any soldered jumpers on the laser? I remember back in the day, PS1 lasers had a couple of points that needed desoldering before they would work. There may also be a pot on the unit you can tweak to increase the power, although you need to be careful.

josweet said:

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    Are there any soldered jumpers on the laser? I remember back in the day, PS1 lasers had a couple of points that needed desoldering before they would work. There may also be a pot on the unit you can tweak to increase the power, although you need to be careful.
    Its still the same now with replacements lasers. With the solder bridge connected the IR does not work at all and the disc wont even spin after the draw has first closed. I had already removed the bridge and i can see the IR even though not at its correct brightness,
    I also adjusted the pot with very small turns, which also made no difference.
    Having changed laser's before, im convinced this one is faulty & the seller knows it, as within 24hrs of my paypal claim i was fully refunded without question from the seller.
    I was hoping someone might know of good retailer of parts before more trial and error.