Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Complete TV Entertainment System in a Caravan

Hi, i am looking at getting the best possible TV entertainment set-up i can in our holiday touring caravan.

The background is I'm looking at this Samsung https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...rb_top?ie=UTF8 Smart TV. The major downside is there's no wireless network in the area, just my tethering allowance on my phone. But what it does have is dnla where i am looking to add a wireless Hard drive(getting to also steam in the car journeys to the kids tablets) to create a network where the TV can play movies etc from. This in conjunction with screen casting of my mobile using data to view netflix/kodi. Added to this a freeview hd aerial should be like home from home.

This is my great idea but i might have a great big floor in the method. Anyone got something similar in operation?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Complete TV Entertainment System in a Caravan

Work out what the total wattage is on everything (The TV is 54 W ) The less power consumption the better. If you go for streaming via a HDD then go for one which is green and as such very cheap to run, You may also want to consider large SDcards instead of a HDD's as motors drain more power.
    I dont know if the RasberryPI will be any good as your stream server, but something similar would be recommended.

Basically, the less power consumption, the longer your batteries will last. Also consider linking two Heavy duties batteries up to help with the load.
    As for charging them, youll have the choice of Solar or wind, if your in the middle of nowhere!
    Alternatively, if you know someone smart enough to link your car battery up via your caravan's ISO 11446, then every time you use the car, the batteries will charge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_st...ler_connectors
    Last edited by josweet; 8th April 2017 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks to josweet

dainese (8th April 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive got a wireless streaming box which makes its own wireless network to stream anything. It's essentially a 22 in 1 card reader with three USB ports on it, but with the wireless network thing and pocket ftp server.

Cost me a score from mymemory.co.uk

Panther I think it was.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Batteries aren't an issue as it is always on a electric hook-up with a generous amp allowance. This Seagate drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...LOL&ref=plSrch looks ideal to store all the kids movies etc on which has its own battery or I'll plug into the car when it's used there and highly likely when in the caravan. This should create a wireless connection to the Samsung TV to again play movies etc and the TV is capable of airplay (equivalent) to cast from my phone/tablets etc. This is just the theory! Google hasn't thrown any light on this subject. Maybe I'm missing the point of being away with the kids on holiday! But Wales gives Italy a run for its money on a hot summers day, but that is only a couple of days a year. Entertaining the kids 90% of the time is priceless!

Thanks
    Karma Level

look at a wireless dongle for data, if its the odd week/weekend away then they might work out cheaper for internet access.