Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Poor net speeds looking for a Kodi box

Hi guys, I've moved into a house in the country and its got very poor internet speed. around 2mbs. This hurts having moved from a house receiving 150mbs!

Anyhow I've just kicked sky into touch as it was pointless paying for the service or lack of it.

I'm looking to try a kodi box and wondered what comes recommended at the moment? I've used kodi before via a fire tv and stick but drifted off it due to needing to update all the time.

Wheres the tech at now and is there a particular box or service that I should be considering.

I know that the net speed will dictate but willing to give it a pop.

Cheers for any help or advice.

Devs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Poor net speeds looking for a Kodi box

With speeds around 2mb you are going to struggle whatever box you get, personally I go for something with 2GB of Ram and 16GB of Flash Storage, you can get more ram etc but I think this is overkill if you just want it to run KODI

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Over Carl (10th April 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use the Fire TV (not the stick) as it's a lot snappier when browsing menus but there's a chance Amazon may be forced to release an update that breaks it. There are plenty of generics, some have been posted on here recently if you look at the threads so that may be what you want. Think it may have sold now but there was a revo HTPC in the BST section too.

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (10th April 2017)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As above, because you have limited Bandwidth, there's no point getting anything bigger than 2 gig. You will possibly only get SD quality, but if your lucky 720p might just about stream safely down to you without buffering too much. Although I doubt it.

Best boxes are now the newer 4k ones retailing at about £47-£65 from China
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genu...608.0.0.8O3MeM

But you could adequately do with one of the cheaper ones retailing at around the £30 mark. 1 gig of rom is becoming obsolete now and if you do want to get a better deal go for the 2 gig versions out there and 3 gig/32 for future proofing

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm on the lookout for a new box atm too
    I think I've decided on an S912 box so I'm now deciding whether I want a clock on the front or not and how much memory to go for.
    They're muchly of a muchness with a few cosmetic differences really but the T95Z pro and the H96 pro are my frontrunners atm

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie on hill View Post
    I'm on the lookout for a new box atm too
    I think I've decided on an S912 box so I'm now deciding whether I want a clock on the front or not and how much memory to go for.
    They're muchly of a muchness with a few cosmetic differences really but the T95Z pro and the H96 pro are my frontrunners atm
    be careful with the H96s as they come in different ram/rom configurations. The one I got is 3/32 and cost £58
    Last edited by Mickey; 10th April 2017 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Brilliant guys many thanks as always for all the help. I'm going to have a punt on a T95z Plus, do these now update themselves or do I need to hunt out new feeds when they go dead? Cheers, been out of the loop with this stuff for a while due to kids.

Devs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think there's 2 t95z memory configs 2/16 or 3/32 and about half a dozen different naff looking logos on the front to choose between from sellers claiming to be in the UK on the auction site atm

For guaranteed feeds you gotta pay (on sneak on) really. Kodi addons and android apps will find all the recorded media for you but live stuff is hit n miss as people discover servers, they become popular, then over subscribed and shut down, and the cycle repeats. Its not thaaaat bad as I've not missed many minutes of footy since my Plex box died but it can take a while to trawl through the addons and links to find a good stream sometimes. Like tonight, I missed the first 10 mins and switched over to a Spanish channel at half time for a good 720 stream of the footy as i couldn't be bothered following anymore links tbqh.
    You should be ok on the 2meg connection btw as the 720 acestreams I've been watching are usually around 500k

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's great mate many thanks for the help.

you mentioned plex and that's got me thinking.. I've got a qnap server running where I store my files and a shat load of movies. As an alternative to getting a kodi box isn't there some magic that can be done via plex nowadays? I've only ever used it to play my stored files.

cheers, Devs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think so - I'm not a Plex expert tho I'm afraid.
    I think the way to go would be a plex server on the qnap connected to a subscription Plex server using a user and pass account that you could connect to and reshare to multiple devices running Plex that connect to your qnap Plex server via a pin authentication.
    Alteratively you could buy a pin subscription from a supplier to connect a single box to (no reshare capability). The problem with that is the list of devices they support for the pin style connection was quite limited (have a look at the Plex subs available on the auction site for a list) altho android looks to be on the list for most of them now.

Looking at the prices for the Plex subs, i think a pin sub or lifetime pin setup is probably our cheapest option for IPTV atm if you don't want to be following the kodi add-on scene and spending a few mins finding a decent stream all the time.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How's the mobile network in your area?

A mate of mine has been looking at getting some sort of 4G solution for his area.
    His Broadband is also diabolical, but can achieve 10-12Mb on 4G.

He has been asking the mobile networks what the best solution is. GiffGaff do an unlimited plan on PAYG, but is limited when tethering.
    He has been using his mobile for KODI and Screen Mirroring to his TV for a while now.

I can't see Unlimited 4G Broadband offerings being too far way from release TBF.

EDIT -
    Three offer this - http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White
    If Three is an option for you in your area.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 11th April 2017 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie on hill View Post
    I think so - I'm not a Plex expert tho I'm afraid.
    I think the way to go would be a plex server on the qnap connected to a subscription Plex server using a user and pass account that you could connect to and reshare to multiple devices running Plex that connect to your qnap Plex server via a pin authentication.
    Alteratively you could buy a pin subscription from a supplier to connect a single box to (no reshare capability). The problem with that is the list of devices they support for the pin style connection was quite limited (have a look at the Plex subs available on the auction site for a list) altho android looks to be on the list for most of them now.

Looking at the prices for the Plex subs, i think a pin sub or lifetime pin setup is probably our cheapest option for IPTV atm if you don't want to be following the kodi add-on scene and spending a few mins finding a decent stream all the time.
    Thanks very much pal, I quite like the idea of not having to hunt around for new streams as I'm working flat out at the mo on a house project.Will take a look at what paids are available and take it from there. Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    How's the mobile network in your area?

A mate of mine has been looking at getting some sort of 4G solution for his area.
    His Broadband is also diabolical, but can achieve 10-12Mb on 4G.

He has been asking the mobile networks what the best solution is. GiffGaff do an unlimited plan on PAYG, but is limited when tethering.
    He has been using his mobile for KODI and Screen Mirroring to his TV for a while now.

I can't see Unlimited 4G Broadband offerings being too far way from release TBF.

EDIT -
    Three offer this - http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White
    If Three is an option for you in your area.
    Dang this is why I love the DF’s. People willing to explore the next possibilities without being asked.

I keep meaning to look into this also.. The 3g speeds are greater than what I’m getting down the line. I’ve been with 3 for a couple of years as I was enticed by the unlimited data tether. Unfortunately now been caped at around 13gbs (I think).

My plan was I make do, with a hope that when 5g rolls out the 4g band would free up a little and maybe become unlimited. I’d then pop some kind of an antenna on the side of the house and scoop up some 4g. (if that would ever happen?)

Thats an interesting solution that your mate is doing using the Screen Mirroring, not one that I would have thought of tbh. I should have a look into my data usage but am sure it will be high with a couple of kids that hammer youtube. I also hate the idea of being limited. It sucks in this day and age.

Cheers again for the help chaps. Des.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm using a Amazon FireTV, I don't really have any problems with updates as in the sense of complete builds, not add-ons.

I tend to use the Wookie Full Community Builds, they seem to come with all the add-ons I want.

Now, I use Amazon FireTV Sticks as well, they both use the same build, however they are tweaked versions of Kodi 17.1.

By default, Kodi has 720p and 1080p upscaling enabled, this causes 'lag', many people think this is a download issue, therefore if you disable it you should see a big difference. The latest TV's upscale anyway.

Another area of Kodi you can change is Hardware acceleration : it tends to cause more strain on the CPU, in most cases you can turn it off.

There are more tweaks that can be done, many people complain about Krypton 17.1 being laggy, personally I think it is the software causing a strain on the CPU.

That's my opinion anyway!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very good advice and insight mate, appreciated. I've got some fire TVs and sticks so will give it another go as it's been ages since I've looked at kodi on them. Thanks a lot man. Devs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey Threatbot1 , where did you get the tweaked version of 17.1 from mate? Cheers, Devs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i read Threatbot1 comments as a change to the default settings, not a tweak per se.
    I've experimented with the acceleration off etc and I didn't see a noticeable difference but I tend to stream local SD files as opposed to the HD versions anyhow.