2017 BBQ Thread

Thread: 2017 BBQ Thread

BigBrand said:

Default 2017 BBQ Thread

Who's cracked a BBQ out?

We had one last weekend, was glorious here on the east coast, however, having only just moved, it was a couple of Tesco jobbies.

Ned to pick up a charcoal BBQ this weekend, already picked up a BBQ Kettle, wonderful things they are!

That bring me onto Charcoal, what are we all using?

I've been told to look up for either Green Olive or Big K.

I can get BIg K from Ocado sell 15KG for £25, but any other recommendation?

piggzy said:

Default Re: 2017 BBQ Thread

Also on East Coast... not hit the BBQ yet but where abouts in the east are you... could hit you up with a link of where to get the best steaks buddy.... :-)

piggzy said:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

They have won the award for best butcher for a number of years in a row... RUMP is stunning and I regularly get shin beef for slow cooker... more tasty than any other cut ...

WRATH OF BOD said:

got mine out ready to clean tomorrow ready for the weekend, got my ribs marinating as i type, steak all ready with some home made Burgers all ready.

MHP said:

I use blue bag restaurant charcoal but any restaurant grade charcoal should be good. The bigger the chunks the better. Check out your local suppliers (the ones supplying the kebab shops etc) they should be able to give a good price.

beerman said:

I used to use coal but got given a gas bbq and it's far more convenient. I've cooked 4 times on it since the sun has come out. It warms up in 5 mins and is ready for cooking, no faffing with trying to get it lit and waiting 20 mins for the coals to reach temperature. Taste wise it does lose a bit of flavour compared to coal but is good enough for me.

CallmeGoose said:

I'm going to be building a brick bbq next week so I'll post a progress update

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MHP said:

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I used to use coal but got given a gas bbq and it's far more convenient. I've cooked 4 times on it since the sun has come out. It warms up in 5 mins and is ready for cooking, no faffing with trying to get it lit and waiting 20 mins for the coals to reach temperature. Taste wise it does lose a bit of flavour compared to coal but is good enough for me.

TJB said:

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Yeah, to be honest it's a pain waiting for a proper bbq. I'll cook on a barbecue 3 or 4 times a week in the summer and I can't be arsed waiting every time. Having said that, I'd really like something like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for smoking. Bit expensive though. Has anyone used one of the cheap smokers you can get on Amazon?

MHP said:

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Has anyone used one of the cheap smokers you can get on Amazon?
    I've cooked on a few cheap and nasty barbies over the years. They all suffer from the same problems, thin metal work that rusts out, crap griddles and lack of heat adjustment. The cheap smokers on Amazon look like they suffer the same traits. They also seem to be side box smokers that are not as good as the vertical barrel type.

For shits and giggles I would take a punt on this though;

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It looks like a Chinese copy of a Kamado Joe / Big Green Egg, the holy grail of small smokers.