Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Virgin's 'NEW' wifi on the go. Heres how to opt out

So Virgin has been rolling out their 'NEW' Wifi sharing service similar to BT but I noticed that you have to opt OUT rather than opt in. Very sneaky I reckon that they they don't let you know this. If like me you don't want your hub being used by any Tom Dick or Harry then here's how you opt out:

As long as you don't have a Superhub 2 connected - no problem. As the Superhub 2 is the only one which supports the new WiFi sharing system currently.

You can find the opt-out by going into the My Profile tab and scroll to the bottom, direct URL: https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/view

In which you should see:

Of course if you don't have a Superhub 2, you won't have any WiFi sharing going on and therein you also won't be able to out out (not that you'd need to... until the other Superhubs get the WiFi sharing system added to them):

Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

11 Thanks given to satzzz

Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ashley (16th April 2017),  bobo06 (16th April 2017),  chris71 (17th April 2017),  consoles (17th April 2017),  diablos (16th April 2017),  Doctor Who (16th April 2017),  doughboy (17th April 2017),  JonEp (16th April 2017),  lagigolo (26th April 2017),  moonrat (16th April 2017),  Threatbot1 (16th April 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin's 'NEW' wifi on the go. Heres how to opt out

Quote Originally Posted by satzzz View Post

Of course if you don't have a Superhub 2, you won't have any WiFi sharing going on and therein you also won't be able to out out (not that you'd need to... until the other Superhubs get the WiFi sharing system added to them):
    I was able to opt out on my profile last week and have the superhub 3 so maybe they are rolling it out to others already?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for heads up! Just changed it. Had to scroll back down to press confirm again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by satzzz View Post
    So Virgin has been rolling out their 'NEW' Wifi sharing service similar to BT but I noticed that you have to opt OUT rather than opt in. Very sneaky I reckon that they they don't let you know this. If like me you don't want your hub being used by any Tom Dick or Harry then here's how you opt out:

As long as you don't have a Superhub 2 connected - no problem. As the Superhub 2 is the only one which supports the new WiFi sharing system currently.

You can find the opt-out by going into the My Profile tab and scroll to the bottom, direct URL: https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/view

In which you should see:

Cheers sneaky bastards.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A very interesting article. I hear the Hub3 from Virginmedia is also capable of VoIP, but not yet implemented. If it was me I'd opt out anyway, they virtually blackmail people into using services.

They could advertise their Hub3.0 WiFi points as:

"LOOK I've got 100Mb download which I pay for, but you can share it with me for nothing!" - I don't think so!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't understand - why is this bad? Who can pinch your bandwidth and how?

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's the auto opt in i don't like without them letting me know.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry I'm not criticizing, I genuinely don't understand.

Can someone use the wifi from your router if they are walking past your house?

Or is it just the fact that you are auto-opted in that is the issue? If so, then I agree, I hate being opted in without being asked.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post

Or is it just the fact that you are auto-opted in that is the issue? If so, then I agree, I hate being opted in without being asked.
    From what I've read they will be transmitting a separate ssid and be on a separate network from your home. I also read somewhere that your bandwidth will not be affected as they will allocate some for the virgin wifi.

I run my own router anyway and have the virgin superhub in modem only mode.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post

It's virgins version of BT Wifi hotspots. It uses your router/network as a virgin hotspot for other virgin customers. So yes they automatically would connect to your network if in range.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sneaky sods!

Thanks gents

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah BT Fon or whatever it is. First thing i disabled. To be honest, it's fucking annoying. All the network swapping on my iPhone when I walk, drive or go past on a train with someone who has it. Phone tries to connect and essentially hangs... same with the other 'hotspots' cloud, virgin on the tube and all that. Delete the networks from ur phone and use the unlimited data on ur mobile network.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

satzzz (17th April 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

For someone like me who doesn't have a lot of data, the use of these hot spots is great. I've got Bt broadband at home so can use the BT fons and also use a friend's log in for sky hot spots too.

Great idea but Virgin shouldn't be using other customers for it. They should do their own. The twats

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

I believe the original idea was Fon.

You would have to buy one of their routers yourself, and if you shared your internet with other Fon users, you were also allowed to use other people's Fon wifi. This was all coming out of each person's bandwidth and allowance, and still people were paying to buy these routers.

They never really kicked off big, and I believe BT bought or licensed their technology. I'm not 100%, but I believe that other people using your Wifi would eat your bandwidth but nothing out of any relevant allowance.

Now with Virgin doing a similar thing but providing extra bandwidth to accommodate for such usage, I'm thinking I will leave it enabled on my router, as I can't see any reason to turn it off unless any security vulnerabililties are found, or if it shown Virgin are not actually giving extra bandwidth, and if it is actually shown my limited bandwidth is being shared with others.

I think a bigger scandal that would be worth getting worked up about is mobile phone networks and them issuing Femtocells to customers with weak mobile reception. I believe it costs big money to setup a mobile network. If they wanna save massive amounts of money and push the responsibility to the customer to provide internet which then allows the mobile phone to work, surely that customer should be getting a massive discount on their mobile phone bill.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd opt out but my SH2 is in modem only mode but this will be a good blog post so thanks for the heads up!
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the wifi part of my vm hub disabled as I use a seperate router for hardwired PC's etc. and also use wifi through that. I presume anyone trying to connect won't be able to without the routers password?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just checked the t&c's in the Virgin Media Wifi app on my mobile.

20 States....... "As a Virgin Media resistential broadband customer, your Super Hub must be opted in and the broadband service must be active. If your Super Hub has been set to modem-only mode or to 5GHz-only mode, this Super Hub will be opted out of the service and you will no longer be able to access the Virgin Media WiFi service elsewhere".

I'm often all over the show and have to admit I think it will be handy to be able to share other people's connections, so I suppose I must share mine if I want this to work.

Edit: Just spoken to customer services who told me this policy has been revised so even if you don't share your connection you should still be able to use hotspots.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 8th May 2017 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

Mickey (8th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Yeah BT Fon or whatever it is. First thing i disabled. To be honest, it's fucking annoying. All the network swapping on my iPhone when I walk, drive or go past on a train with someone who has it. Phone tries to connect and essentially hangs... same with the other 'hotspots' cloud, virgin on the tube and all that. Delete the networks from ur phone and use the unlimited data on ur mobile network.

DJ OD
    of course it was fon, I'm sure if you look way back on DF there was a way to hack the original fon add on router, just my 2p