Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News General election: Theresa May changes social care plans

Theresa May has said proposed changes to social care funding will include an option for an "absolute limit" on the money people will have to pay.
    The Conservatives ruled out a cap on total costs in last week's manifesto, instead saying no-one would see their assets fall below £100,000.
    The PM said the plan was "sensible" and would stop the system from collapse.
    But she said she wanted to address "shameful" fears that people would be forced to sell their family home.
    She told activists in Wales that the Conservatives were "determined the fix the system" and the consultation on the plans, if the party wins the election, would consider a cap among the options.
    "We will make sure nobody has to sell their family home to pay for care," she said.
    "We will make sure there's an absolute limit on what people need to pay. And you will never have to go below £100,000 of your savings, so you will always have something to pass on to your family"
    Mrs May said she had not "changed the basic principles" set out in the manifesto, saying the plans would still give people "peace of mind" about the care available, but was now clarifying the details.
    But Former Chancellor George Osborne, now editor of the Evening Standard, said it was a U-turn.
    Currently, people living in residential care can ask their local authority to pay their bill and recover the money from the sale of their family home after they die.
    The Conservatives' plan would extend this right to those receiving care in their own homes, who would have to pay until they were down to their last £100,000.
    Under the Conservative plans nobody with assets of less than £100,000 would have to pay for social care. Currently anyone with assets of over £23,250 is expected to pay the full cost of their residential care and the value of their home can be taken into account.
    But that is not the case if you receive care in your own home. Under the Tory plans the value of your home may in future be factored in, although the money would not be taken from your estate until after your death.
    This means some people fear they will not be able to pass their homes down to their children.

The BBC's assistant political editor Norman Smith said Conservative sources had earlier been dismissing the prospect of any rethink over the plans, insisting there would be "no rowing back".
    He said he had been told that while there would be a consultation, this had always been planned and it would only examine "the finer detail" of the policy.
    Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn had accused the Conservatives of "forcing those who need social care to pay for it with their homes," labelling the policy a "dementia tax".
    The Lib Dems, meanwhile, had said nine out of 10 homes would be eligible to be sold under the new regime, citing Land Registry house sale figures.
    Calling for a "national movement" against the policy, Lib Dem leader Tim Farron said it was a "callous blow for people who have dementia and other long-term conditions, like multiple sclerosis and motor neurone disease, and of course their families.
    "It is not just a massive mistake but a cruel attack on vulnerable people the length and breadth of this country."
    The Conservatives had attempted to fight back online, with a paid-for ad on Google which pop up when users of the search engine type in the words "dementia tax".
    The ad reads "The so-called 'dementia tax' - Get the real facts - conservatives.com, together with a link to an explainer about the party's social care policies on its website.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: General election: Theresa May changes social care plans

Strong and Stable...

3 Thanks given to Ganty

flumperino (22nd May 2017),  Over Carl (22nd May 2017),  piggzy (22nd May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol, doing a U-turn on a decision that gets a bad reaction is one thing.....but U-turning on your own manifesto, before you've even won the election, is hilarious.

Strong and stable indeed, buhahahahaaaaaa

Thanks to flumperino

Over Carl (22nd May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

And yet it won't make a jot of difference to the election result. Teresa May could take a shit in a pensioners hat, hand it back to them, and then kick said pensioner in the cunt while wearing a £1m pair of jewel encrusted Blahnik pumps, live on 'The One Show'. And her polling would probably go up. That's how fucking crazy things are. The Daily Mail headline would be something like 'Madeline McCann Seen Alive in Bicester'.

6 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Ashley (23rd May 2017),  Bald Bouncer (22nd May 2017),  BertRoot (23rd May 2017),  mij (23rd May 2017),  Over Carl (23rd May 2017),  piggzy (22nd May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    The Daily Mail headline would be something like 'Madeline McCann Seen Alive in Bicester'.
    buhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    And yet it won't make a jot of difference to the election result. Teresa May could take a shit in a pensioners hat, hand it back to them, and then kick said pensioner in the cunt while wearing a £1m pair of jewel encrusted Blahnik pumps, live on 'The One Show'. And her polling would probably go up. That's how fucking crazy things are. The Daily Mail headline would be something like 'Madeline McCann Seen Alive in Bicester'.
    My depressive side says your right, BUT I think this will stop people actually bothering to vote for them......I don't think your typical tory voter (Not swing but energised tory) is ever going to vote for a Corbyn led labour party....BUT they may well stay at home on the day, Look at the data - The cons usually get their core vote out en-mass which trounces a disaffected working class vote. Blair in 97 got the numbers out...after that he got nowhere and vote numbers for labour went through the floor. Ironically Corbyn is just a nats testicle away from Blair's 2005 polling for vote share. The issue here is UKIP voters going to conservative...but the flaw here is the UKIP supporters don't believe that May IS the person to deliver "Their" brexit - I can see kippers staying at home too. Feck knows probably wake up day after election day to see thatcher standing at the gates of downing street looking far more alive than the ghostly May does......bwwwaaahhh

Thanks to DavidF

Over Carl (22nd May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The sad thing is that politics have ceased making any sense whatsoever.

The optimist in me says that the world is waking up and getting fed up of "the establishment" as evidenced in America and France.

The pessimist in me sees what is happening and worries we are doomed to another Conservative government.

I know this is just satire, but this sums up my opinion of our situation quite well.

Spoiler:

Most foxes won’t vote Labour because Jeremy Corbyn ‘just not credible as a leader’

A poll taken of foxes across the country has revealed that barely 30% will vote Labour in the upcoming election, despite Theresa May’s plans to have them systematically torn apart by packs of dogs.

The poll showed that whilst being systematically torn apart by packs of dogs was an issue for some foxes, they felt these concerns were outweighed by the need for competent, experienced leadership in these difficult times.

“Well, obviously I won’t be voting Labour,” said prominent fox Simon Williams.

“I must confess, I do like some of Jeremy Corbyn’s ideas, like his plan to not bring back a ‘sport’ that will see me and my family chased across the countryside before being savaged by a load of angry dogs, but the problem is that he’s just not credible as a leader.

“He’s got that beard, and then there was that Diane Abbot who muffed up her numbers on the radio. I mean, that’s loads worse than bringing back plans to have me hunted to my death, isn’t it?

“And he hates nuclear weapons. What a nob!”

Even being shown the controversial clip where Theresa May can quite clearly be heard saying ‘foxes are all sh*ts, I f**king hate them, I hope they all die, the little fox b*rstards’ wasn’t enough to put Simon Williams the fox off.

“No, that’s just strong and stable leadership.”

http://newsthump.com/2017/05/10/most...e-as-a-leader/

5 Thanks given to Over Carl

Ashley (23rd May 2017),  Bald Bouncer (23rd May 2017),  DavidF (23rd May 2017),  flumperino (23rd May 2017),  mij (23rd May 2017)