Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Theresa May to rip up Human Rights laws to fight against terror.

Well I think most of us were waiting for this to be put on the table....

Theresa May has said she will rip up some human rights laws if they "stop us" from tackling terrorism.
    Speaking on the election trail, the Prime Minister told supporters she would change any laws that got in the way of preventing jihadis from launching attacks in Britain.
    Mrs May used one of her final speeches of the General Election campaign to step up her rhetoric against Islamist extremism in the wake of the London Bridge terror attack that left seven people dead and more than 40 injured.
    She said: "As we see the threat changing, evolving becoming a more complex threat, we need to make sure that our police and security and intelligence agencies have the powers they need.

"I mean longer prison sentences for people convicted of terrorist offences. I mean making it easier for the authorities to deport foreign terrorist suspects back to their own countries.
    "And I mean doing more to restrict the freedom and the movements of terrorist suspects when we have enough evidence to know they are a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court.
    "And if our human rights laws stop us from doing it, we will change the laws so we can do it.
    "If I am elected as Prime Minister on Thursday, that work begins on Friday."

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/theresa-ma...error-10906543

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Theresa May to rip up Human Rights laws to fight against terror.

She can fuck off, because as far as I'm concerned the terrorists have won. Our laws were good enough to tackle decades of IRA threats and they are still strong enough to deal with this current generation of nutters.

The fact that one of the guys was on a documentary about Jihadis should tell us everything we need to know about her competence as Home secretary and now PM, he may as well have been walking around with I JIHAD!! T-shirt on.

Mark my words, this is a slippery slope that ends with anyone protesting or speaking up against the government being deemed 'enemies of the state' and thrown in a cell.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

3 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (6th June 2017),  mij (7th June 2017),  piggzy (6th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Almost as opportunistic as when Cameron had the bomber planes warming up on the runway when the second vote to bomb Syria was being debated after the Paris attacks.

Despicable.

Thanks to flumperino

piggzy (6th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just saw this

Patrick Stewart sketch: what has the ECHR ever done for us? - video

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/video/2016/apr/25/patrick-stewart-sketch-what-has-the-echr-ever-done-for-us-video

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is very worrying. I can see many arguments on both sides but overall this is not good as it will be abused and has nothing to do with terrorism.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    She can fuck off, because as far as I'm concerned the terrorists have won. Our laws were good enough to tackle decades of IRA threats and they are still strong enough to deal with this current generation of nutters.
    I'm pretty sure that it was the SAS and British intelligence that that put a stop to the IRA's shenanigans, breaking a few of laws in the process. Of course we had internment but that was legal back then. If you feel that our laws are strong enough then what the hell have we just witnessed in Manchester and London? I'm sure Mrs May's statement will just be another hollow election pledge, however if someone wants to harm or maim British citizens with complete disregard for the rule of law and human life then I'm happy for a few laws to be suspend until the threat has passed.