Close

Thread: Scorpio

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Scorpio

Am I the only one looking forward to the Scorpio announcement? They better have some good titles to show off. They don't need many but if all they have is Forza with 4k assets I don't think it will go down well. Let's see at least some playable AAA titles and comparisons of XB1 and Scorpio upscaled.

This Sunday so not long to wait... This could make or break Microsoft as a hardware provider. Also the price better be reasonable as I've just started a new job and the pay aint that good lol
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

2 Thanks given to EvilBoB

Ashley (7th June 2017),  piggzy (7th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Scorpio

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    Am I the only one looking forward to the Scorpio announcement? They better have some good titles to show off. They don't need many but if all they have is Forza with 4k assets I don't think it will go down well. Let's see at least some playable AAA titles and comparisons of XB1 and Scorpio upscaled.

This Sunday so not long to wait... This could make or break Microsoft as a hardware provider. Also the price better be reasonable as I've just started a new job and the pay aint that good lol
    I will be interested in the price for sure, I also think it's about bloody time Microsoft opened up the market for third party headsets as it's a total piss take giving Turtle Beach a monopoly as all they have done is make old design headsets compatible and stuck a stupid price on them, it's really annoying having really great headsets available that are blocked from working on Xbox One

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

EvilBoB (7th June 2017),  piggzy (7th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't see the price being good imho.

I would like to see and new game in the Far Cry series at launch but that aint happening.
    As you say third party gear is seriously needed. Too much is an absolute rip off. Wireless controllers are way overpriced too and when you have kids I personally prefer to keep the Elite out of their hands and have a couple of controllers for them and a couple for when the boys come round, but then you can be talking the best part of £200 on controllers, no thanks. Joke imho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest, I'm a bit bored of this my dick is bigger than your dick that MS and Sony have gotten into. Neither have really innovated anything since the PS One, just more powerful machines. I used to work at a games company a few years ago and a geezer from Sony came in. He said he was pretty frustrated at how hardware developers were constantly looking to upgrade their machines just when games developers really get to grips with it.

3 Thanks given to TJB

Ashley (7th June 2017),  piggzy (7th June 2017),  plug1 (7th June 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    To be honest, I'm a bit bored of this my dick is bigger than your dick that MS and Sony have gotten into. Neither have really innovated anything since the PS One, just more powerful machines. I used to work at a games company a few years ago and a geezer from Sony came in. He said he was pretty frustrated at how hardware developers were constantly looking to upgrade their machines just when games developers really get to grips with it.
    The thing with gaming is it's always been competitive and I think they sort of hit a plateau. The jump from 8bit upto say the Xbox 360 and PS3 was so different and then now they seem to just sharpen to picture and shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    The thing with gaming is it's always been competitive and I think they sort of hit a plateau. The jump from 8bit upto say the Xbox 360 and PS3 was so different and then now they seem to just sharpen to picture and shit.
    Agreed. Mobile phones have gone the same way. Until they come up with something thats "wow" different that's all we will see is power improvements. It's control mechanisms that I think need work. With the current joypad style of interface it is limiting on how to control a character in a game which is why games fall into only a few categories (FPS, Third person, platform) Until they can find a way to control a character as if they are in a film we will never see much more than graphical improvements.

Saying that with the advent of the more powerful GPUs we are seeing a lot more depth to the visuals, but at what cost? More expensive and longer development cycles. Think back to the days of the Dreamcast, PS1 etc. It seemed like every week there were a number of new games coming out that looked good and played great but then they didn't have development teams of 500 people just for the graphics asset work.

Microsoft has come a long way with their SDK to try and simplify the approach and with great engines out there it does cut down on the development cycle but they should be thinking smarter rather than just throwing more and more power at the consoles.

The Sony v Microsoft "battle" is no different than many others. Even the PC has the ATI v nVidia crowd. I've lost count how many times I've bought the biggest and baddest gfx card and upgraded it a year later (And they tend to cost more than a new console!)

The Scorpio "should" give a massive power boost. Not sure 4k is where it should be at though. 1080p is more than enough for pretty much any game and at that resolution with the power of Scorpio we should see some amazing graphics coming along with insane polygon counts. And if MS are true to what they say with the hardware in the console it should run just as smooth in 4k with even better assets and HDR.

Best part of the Scorpio is that it's a beast of a machine and it will play all my current games.

With 4k games expect another 3-6 months added onto development cycles I reckon. E3 will probably end up announcing games that will release in 2020
    DF Moderator

3 Thanks given to EvilBoB

Ashley (8th June 2017),  greens117 (10th September 2017),  piggzy (8th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I still regularly play Mame and plenty of games from the eighties. The reason? The emphasis on gameplay. Those games still stand up because they're fun and challenging. I wonder how many games from his generation are going to played in 30 years?

Thanks to TJB

EvilBoB (9th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Probably just the AAA titles with a good storyline - Uncharted, Half Life, Halo. Franchise games like Fifa, Forza etc. nope. Noone will care in a couple of years let alone 20 lol.
    DF Moderator