Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Xbox One - Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility

Original Xbox Games will be backwards compatible on the Xbox One S
    With the ability to play multiplayer across all 4 consoles (Original Xbox > 360 > One > One X)

BY ALEX OSBORN During today's Xbox E3 press conference, Microsoft announced that backwards compatibility for original Xbox games will come to Xbox One later this year, and Head of Xbox Phil Spencer has since elaborated on the forthcoming support.

"We can support the discs, which was actually a technically achievement for the team. I didn't think we were going to get there," Spencer told IGN. "But I also know a lot of people can't find those discs anymore, so we will definitely make sure they are available digitally for people."

While Spencer didn't share any pricing details for digital versions of original Xbox games, he did mention Microsoft's new subscription service Xbox Game Pass, noting it "could be a great place to put those games."

Microsoft confirmed that Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge is one of the titles that will be backwards compatible during its press conference, but that's the only supported title we know of so far. Spencer refrained from discussing what other games fans can expect. "We have a lineup of games we're working on," he said, adding that they're "not making any kind of commitment about all the first-party games."

That said, Spencer did confirm that backwards compatibility will indeed extend to both first and third-party games. As far as pricing for third-party original Xbox games, Spencer said, "we don't control the pricing for third-party games, we never have. So they're gonna set their prices that they want."

When asked if Achievements would be added to original Xbox games, Spencer said he didn't have anything to announce on that front right now. He did, however, point to Xbox 360 backwards compatibility and how "the Xbox One version of those games has actually become in many places the definitive version," and how they're "seeing the same thing with the original Xbox games coming to Xbox One."

The original Xbox turned fifteen last year, and to commemorate the occasion, we put together a list of the 15 best exclusive games on the OG Xbox.

Which classic titles from the console would you like to see supported on Xbox One? Let us know in the comments, and for more on the future of Xbox, check out our comprehensive rundown of everything revealed so far about Xbox One X.

Source

Microsoft announced that the Xbox One is getting backwards compatibility support for original Xbox games at its E3 presentation, and now we know a little more about how that will actually work.

Per Microsoft’s Albert Penello (as spotted by our friends at Polygon) things should be pretty simple: Original Xbox discs will work, presumably as an authorization to access an emulated digital copy, similar to the way Xbox 360 emulation currently works on the Xbox One. If you own digital licenses to copies of original Xbox games from back in the day, those will transfer over too.

And most impressively, you’ll be able to play local multiplayer for old Xbox titles through system link, which will support all three generations of Microsoft’s consoles. That’s right, you’ll be able to to play supported games at a LAN party by wiring up an Xbox to an Xbox 360 to an Xbox One.

We still don’t know what original Xbox games are coming to the Xbox One, or when to expect the feature to roll out, but Microsoft should be showing off more about the feature over the next few days at E3.

Source
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

3 Thanks given to Mystical_2K

Bald Bouncer (13th June 2017),  EvilBoB (13th June 2017),  piggzy (13th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox One - Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility

Would love to get Strangers Wrath working again. One of the best most original games I ever played.

Some company made a HD remake of it but had a falling out with MS so it never got released on the 360 but this might pave the way for the old version.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox One - Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility

Will be good to play some old games again, including:

Star Wars: Jedi Knight
    GTA San Andreas
    GTA Vice City
    GTA 3
    Star Wars: Battlefront
    Need for Speed Underground
    State of Emergency
    Star Wars: Obi Wan
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.