Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Finsbury Park: Several hurt as vehicle hits pedestrians

Finsbury Park attack: Man dies as van hits worshippers

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40322960

Khalid Amin says he saw people detain a man who was later arrested

Media captionKhalid Amin says he saw people detain a man who was later arrestedA man has died and 10 people have been injured after a man drove a van into worshippers near a north London mosque.
      The van struck people after mounting the pavement just after midnight BST outside Muslim Welfare House, near Finsbury Park Mosque. A 48-year-old man has been arrested.
      Home Secretary Amber Rudd said the attack was being treated as a "terrorist incident".
      Eyewitness Abdul Rahman said the driver said he wanted to "kill all Muslims".
      Mr Rahman told the BBC he struck the man and helped subdue him.
      "When the guy came out from his van he wanted to escape, run away and he was saying 'I want to kill Muslims. 'I want to kill Muslims.'
      "I hit him on his stomach... and then me and the other guys... we held him to the ground until he couldn't move. We stopped him until the police came."

Counter-terrorism officers are at the scene, the Metropolitan Police said.
      And extra police are being deployed to reassure communities, especially those observing Ramadan, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said.
      He also said his "thoughts and prayers" were with those affected by the "horrific terrorist attack on innocent people".
      "While this appears to be an attack on a particular community, like the terrible attacks in Manchester, Westminster and London Bridge it is also an assault on all our shared values of tolerance, freedom and respect."

Image copyright Reuters Harun Khan, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain said: "Over the past weeks and months, Muslims have endured many incidents of Islamophobia, and this is the most violent manifestation to date.
      "We expect the authorities to increase security outside mosques as a matter of urgency."
      Many of the victims are believed to have just left evening prayers at the Muslim Welfare House after breaking the Ramadan fast.
      It has appealed for calm, adding that "all of our efforts should be towards getting justice for the victims and ensuring our community stays the diverse, tolerant and welcome place we know it to be".
      The prime minister will chair a meeting of the emergency Cobra committee later.
      Mrs May described it as a "terrible incident", adding: "All my thoughts are with those who have been injured, their loved ones and the emergency services on the scene."
      Media

Finsbury attack: 'Muslims don't feel safe'

Media captionFinsbury attack: 'Muslims don't feel safe'If confirmed as a terror attack it would be the fourth such incident in the UK in four months, after attacks in Westminster, Manchester and on London Bridge.
      The van driver was arrested after being detained by members of the public at the scene following the collision at 00:20 BST.
      Police said there were no reports of anyone suffering from knife injuries after speculation at the scene the driver was armed with a knife.
      Abdulrahman Saleh Alamoudi said he was among a group of people helping an elderly worshipper who had fallen down when the van swerved towards them.
      Video posted online of the aftermath showed a scene of chaos as people tried to help the injured.
      One man could be seen giving CPR to a victim in the street while another man's head injury was treated with a makeshift dressing.

Image copyright PA An eyewitness told how he jumped out the way of the van as it struck.
      He said: "He just came into all of us. There was a lot of people. We got told to move straight away.
      "I was shocked, shocked, shocked. There were bodies around me.
      "Thank God I just moved to the side. I just jumped. Everyone is hurt. Everyone is actually hurt."
      Image copyright AFP Another who lives in a flat on Seven Sisters Road told the BBC she saw people "shouting and screaming".
      "Everyone was shouting 'a van's hit people'.
      "There was this white van stopped outside Finsbury Park Mosque that seems to have hit people who were coming out of the mosque after prayers finished."
      She said the road was "backed up" with police cars, ambulance and fire engines.
      Corbyn 'shocked'

Some witnesses at the scene - near Finsbury Park Station and Arsenal's Emirates stadium - said more than one attacker may have been involved.
      But the Met said: "At this early stage of this investigation, no other suspects at the scene have been identified or reported to police, however the investigation continues."
      Mrs Rudd described it as an appalling incident.
      "We must all continue to stand together, resolute, against all those who try to divide us and spread hate and fear," she said.
      Environment Secretary Michael Gove said the attack was a "disgusting and immoral act".
      "Words fail me that someone could find it in their heart to behave in this way."
      Labour leader and Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn said on Twitter: "I'm totally shocked at the incident at Finsbury Park tonight.
      "I've been in touch with the mosques, police and Islington council regarding the incident. My thoughts are with those and the community affected by this awful event."

Image copyright AFP Image copyright EPA Labour's shadow home secretary and Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP Diane Abbott said on Twitter that police "must urgently review security for all mosques".
      Green Party co-leader Caroline Lucas said she was thinking of the community and emergency services, adding: "We will not be divided."
      Witness Cynthia Vanzella said on Twitter: "Horrible to watch police officers doing cardiac massage at people on the floor, desperately trying to save them. I just hope they did."
      The MCB said its "prayers are with the victims".

A vehicle has struck pedestrians "leaving a number of casualties" in north London, police said.
      One person has been arrested following the incident on Seven Sisters Road in Finsbury Park.
      Officers were called at 12.20 BST and are at the scene with other emergency services, the Metropolitan Police said.
      A London Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We have sent a number of resources to an incident in Seven Sisters Road."
      Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News
    Last edited by Mickey; 19th June 2017 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Finsbury Park: 'Several hurt' as vehicle hits pedestrians

This seems to be the year the chickens come home to roost. Whether it be vicious cuts to public spending or years and years of anti-Muslim hysteria in the tabloids.

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

4 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (19th June 2017),  beerman (19th June 2017),  evilsatan (19th June 2017),  Over Carl (19th June 2017)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Finsbury Park: Several hurt as vehicle hits pedestrians

Finsbury Park attack suspect named as Darren Osborne

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40332616

Footage shows the suspected attacker being tackled to the ground before the police arrive

Media captionFootage shows the suspected attacker being tackled to the ground before the police arriveThe man arrested on suspicion of carrying out the Finsbury Park terror attack is 47-year-old Darren Osborne from Cardiff, the BBC understands.
    He was held after a van hit Muslims who had been attending evening prayers at a north London mosque.
    They had been helping a man who had collapsed. He later died but it is not clear if it was because of the attack.
    Mr Osborne was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and later further arrested over alleged terror offences.
    Police are carrying out searches at an address in the Cardiff area.
    Security Minister Ben Wallace said the suspect was not known to the security services, and was believed to have acted alone.
    The BBC understands Mr Osborne grew up in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, and has four children.
    The Metropolitan Police said he was being held on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism including murder and attempted murder.

The attack took place shortly after midnight close to Muslim Welfare House, which is also a community centre.
    Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said the incident was "quite clearly an attack on Muslims", and the community would now see more police, including armed officers, in the area, "particularly around religious establishments".

Image copyright EPA Image caption Police forensic experts have been at the scene of the attack It is the fourth terror attack in the UK in three months, after incidents in Westminster, Manchester and on London Bridge.
    Prime Minister Theresa May said the attack is "every bit as sickening" as the others in recent weeks.
    "It was an attack that once again targeted the ordinary and the innocent going about their daily lives - this time British Muslims as they left a mosque having broken their fast and prayed together at this sacred time of year," she said.
    After speaking outside Downing Street, the prime minister visited Finsbury Park Mosque, which is also close to the scene of the incident, where she held talks with faith leaders.
    Labour leader and Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn has also visited the area, telling the BBC that "an attack on a mosque, an attack on a synagogue, an attack on a church is actually an attack on all of us".

The driver of the van was detained by bystanders before police arrived.
    People at the scene said he had told them he wanted to kill Muslims.
    The imam of Muslim Welfare House said a passing police van was flagged down.
    Mohammed Mahmoud told reporters: "We told them the situation - there's a man, he's restrained, he mowed down a group of people with his van and there is a mob attempting to hurt him and if you don't take him then, God forbid, he might be seriously hurt.
    "We pushed people away from him until he was safely taken by police."
    Toufik Kacimi, chief executive of Muslim Welfare House, said the suspect had told those holding him "you deserve it" and was also saying "I did my bit".

Social Networking Bookmarks