Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Retrix - RetroArch Ported To Xbox One

Retrix (LibretroRT) is a massive project to bring all the cores designed by Team LibRetro to UWP

Retrix currently supports the NES, SNES, SEGA Master System, SEGA Game Gear, SG-1000, Megadrive, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and in the future many other platforms.

Here's how to take advantage of Retrix on Xbox One:

1. Download the .APPX package for the Xbox One (29.4 MB)
    2. Once downloaded, to install Retrix on your Xbox One, you need to switch your console over to developer mode, this is the most complex step, you can either follow this guide by Team Pegasus, or spend an one-time fee of $19 to Microsoft.
    3. Enjoy! Retrix supports the local game for two players, and all credit goes to Albertofustonini to create and maintain the Retrix project.

OFFICIAL SITE: --> https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Original thread

Ted
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

3 Thanks given to BIG-TED

Ashley (26th June 2017),  beerman (26th June 2017),  piggzy (27th June 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Retrix - RetroArch Ported To Xbox One

Any good Ted?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ooh my Xbox one might actually get turned on once in a while then !
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

The guide only shows you what to do after your device is enabled for dev mode I believe.
    i.e You will still need to pay MS the £19 one off fee to enable your console for Dev activation.

Edit: Unclear. There are 2 dev modes, a free one and the full dev mode which requires the fee. Will give the free way a try and see if it works.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is there any way to get a dev acount without having to pay the fee, would like to try this but dont really want to pay to be able to do this.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not had a play with it yet. Found this guide not the free version though.

Enabling Developer Mode (Dev Mode) On the Xbox One is pretty easy to do, however unless you are a student with access to Microsoft Imagine it will cost you a little bit of money. Here in the UK the cost is around £12, i'm not sure about the cost in other regions, however it's fairly cheap and is a one off payment. So think of it as an investment to have the ability to do some cool stuff with your Xbox One.

Why Enable Dev Mode?:

With Dev Mode enabled you can develop your own Xbox One apps and games and test them out on real hardware, in addition you can sideload apps, games and emulators other people have coded. I think will be the appeal for a lot of people.

Keep in mind you do not have access to the full power the Xbox One has to offer in Dev Mode, you can only develop and use Universal Windows Platform (UWP) Apps, which are allowed limited resources on the Xbox One. However the resources you have access to are enough for various emulators to work pretty well!

Getting Started:

Students or ex students who have access to your old academic email address should follow this part of the tutorial, everyone else should skip to the next part: Enabling Developer Mode On The Xbox One.

If you happen to have access to Microsoft Imagine (all you need is an .ac.uk or .edu email address) then you can get a free Windows Store Developer Account without paying, this gives you access to develop on the Xbox One also.

If you have graduated from University chances are you were able to keep your academic email address, this is how I was able to get access to Microsoft Imagine, even though I graduated a few years ago now.

• First sign up / log in to Microsoft Imagine, you will have to confirm your signup with your academic email address
    • Click on Downloads > Software Catalog
    • Now click on Windows Store (Free developer account):

Here you can generate a registration code which gives you free lifetime access to publish free / paid content to the Windows / Xbox Store:

Save your code somewhere save and now continue this tutorial

Enabling Developer Mode On The Xbox One:

Now lets get on with the part of the tutorial you are waiting for, on your Xbox One go to the Store and search for Dev Mode Activation:

Install then launch the Dev Mode Activation application:

Follow the on screen prompts to setup Dev Mode on your Xbox One:

Click Next:

Keep a note of your code, then ignore the URL the Xbox asks you to visit and go to: https://developer.microsoft.com/xboxactivate

Click Sign up now:

Enter your name, address and contact details and select the personal development account. When you click next this is where you can enter the code you obtained from Microsoft Imagine if you are a student, this will get you out of paying the £12 registration fee.

If you don't have access to Microsoft Imagine you will just have to pay the fee:

Agree to the terms and conditions and click finish:

Everything should be successful:

Stay signed in and go to https://developer.microsoft.com/xboxactivate again, you now want to enter your activation code shown on the Xbox here:

Developer mode will now be activated on your Xbox One:

You should then see your console appear on the Microsoft Developer Website:

The Xbox One will ask you to switch to developer mode and restart:

Once the Xbox One restarts you will see the development dashboard, click "Settings" in the bottom right:

Now set a username and password:

You can now connect to your Xbox One from a web browser via the address shown on the development dashboard:

From the web browser you can add compiled Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and games:

You can also configure various settings for the development side of your Xbox One:

Please keep in mind: Anything you install in Dev Mode can't be used in retail mode, you have to enter Dev Mode to use your installed / side loaded apps. Likewise you can't use retail apps and games in Dev Mode, you have leave Dev Mode to use any purchased apps and games as normal.

• Dev Mode = Apps, games and emulators you or someone else in the Xbox Community has developed
    • Retial Mode = Normal Xbox One usage, apps and games purchased on disc or as digital downloads

The Xbox One will now boot to Dev Mode every time you power it on, unless you leave Dev Mode. Once you leave Dev Mode your Xbox One will load up normally as it always has.

Leaving Developer Mode On The Xbox One:

To leave Dev Mode, simply select "Leave Dev Mode" on the development dashboard, your Xbox One will reboot and be back to normal, showing any apps and games you would normally have installed:

When leaving Dev Mode I would recommend unchecking "Delete side loaded apps and games" that way the next time you enter Dev Mode everything you have installed will still be there:

To enter Dev Mode again simply load the Dev Mode Activation app from the installed apps on the Xbox One dashboard.
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another draw back from my perspective is even if there is a way to switch to dev mode for free, in the small print it states that when/if you decide to switch your console back to normal mode it results in a complete factory wipe of all accounts and games. Yes you can easily re add the accounts and games but I don't fancy the hassle myself.

Edit: It must be referring to if you wanted to completely remove Dev Mode. As Big-Teds post above you can switch between. I tell you what the amount of conflicting information on MS's own website is shocking. They really need to delete outdated old information.
    Last edited by piggzy; 27th June 2017 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah it seems there too much messing about for me to be honest. Sure it will be great for some though

Thanks to trueblue924

piggzy (27th June 2017)