I've been asked to setup a personal VPN for a client that is simple (idiot proof).

He wants to be able to remote on to his PC at the work place from his laptop at home and also be one the same network over the internet. I thought of using the standard Windows VPN, but I don't think that will be straight forward enough. A seperate - click this program that does it for you rather connecting to a VPN separately would be easier.
His Desktop at work is usually switched off when he as at home (Remote Desktop is useless), but has a Server with profiles setup and can login onto any system as long as on the network (Active Directory/Domain/Roaming Profiles etc).

Connecting to he VPN using his Username & Password from home and automatically logging him in to the User Account would be the preferred action (less steps & less agro to explain).

Hardware wise, he has a Cisco Router that would use QuickVPN (it's shit and not really supported by Windows 10 any longer).
He also has a Draytek Router (2760), but I've never dealt with the firmware setup for VPN - easy and simple for a wally to use/connect to?

I can setup a Virtual Machine on his ESXI Server that could deal with it, but with VPN software, I'm a little green.... whats the preferred? FreeLan any good?
Suggestions would be appreciated.