Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default A Boat, A House, A Houseboat ?

Really weird but always wanted to live on a boat but never thought it possible so never really looked into it.

Anyway through a friend of a friend I have unexpectedly been offered a place to moor a possible houseboat.... It is a Mud Mooring e.g. it would sit in mud for half the time while the tide was out and raise up a bit (but only a few feet) as the tide comes in.

I am googling away and although the sensible me is saying don't be a knob, the knob part of me is saying fucking why not .

I have no form of a boat at this point but am finding myself searching all over in a sort of pipe dream sense.

Do any of you lot have any experience in boats, converting boats to living in etc... any tips advice or DO NOT do it pointers appreciated.

Have lived on a boat for about 2 weeks previously and it is deffo for us as a family, but am very nervous on the other hand. Just spent 2 nights down there and it is stunning. Apart from when the dog fell in the mud/clay and looked guilty as fuck as if to say she was pushed, she also took exception to a seal... I think she thought it was a shaved dog.

The place in question has very lax rules... some people have got a pitch then just built a floating house etc. When I say house I mean they appear to have bought a boat and put a really shit B&Q shed on it and live in it :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A Boat, A House, A Houseboat ?

I know a few houseboat owners who moor on the Grand Union and it does seem like a nice life I have to say. The problems you will get is finding a mortgage (If that's the way you are going to do it). Because they are not on solid foundations and could sink there's only one or two lenders out there. Just something to be aware of.

If you take a trip around the canals of North London (Also Grand Union - around Camden area) there are a number of these "floating houses". Very nice except if you are mud mooring. When in the mud if it's too heavy it could sink into it a bit and when the tide comes in you may find your investment stuck and ultimately flooding - also there's the level when the tides out. Could you live on an incline? Just something to think about.

If you visit some other moorings and see what sorts of boats/floatillas people are using it might give you a better idea as to what to expect.

One of my mates built his own 72 ft barge a couple of years ago. It's pretty sweet but took him about 3 years to build. He's done EVERYTHING himself -execpt the hull which was obviously made for him, to his spec. but all of the internals was his own work - even down to making (not putting together) his kitchen area! I think he said it worked out around the £45k mark but it's a BIG boat.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

piggzy (12th July 2017)