Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Corsa 1.2 SXi Diesel 13 Plate Timing Chain

Missus just got a quality used Corsa from a local garage that is on finance and we picked it up Monday.

Everything seemed fine at first, but since getting it home and driving it about for a bit, we've come to realise that the engine is a bit noisier than it's meant to be.

Looking around online and looking a various YouTube videos, it's pointing us the direction of perhaps a stretched timing chain.

Now the engine is under a 3 month warranty with the garage and I was wondering if changing this is a big job and would take some time? To be honest, I'm a bit pissed that they didn't change it anyway. The car istelf has done 63k miles and I'm expecting it to be the fault. It didn't sound so bad on the forecourt.

Any advice before I call the garage to report it? Anything we can check to be sure?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Corsa 1.2 SXi Diesel 13 Plate Timing Chain

I would call the garage mate and tell them our not happy.
    We bought a fiesta a few years ago for the wife and had a similar issue the garage whipped it in and sorted it.

if you have finance don't you have more leaverage?
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

DejaVu (22nd July 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Vauxhalls have a tendency to be noisy for first few seconds when they start up. I'm not 100% but my suspicion is poor design meaning low oil pressure for a few secs.

Changing a timing belt I would say is definitely a job for a pro (or for amateur who has a good selection of tools and is at the higher end of experience/skills range). Chains normally harder than belts

Definitely worth complaining to the place that sold it to you, and put the complaint in writing. I wouldn't be surprised if you go in they might just fob you off, and god forbid it goes tits up a day out of warranty there will be no paper trail to say you had reported the fault within warranty period and they had failed to remedy it.

It could be something simple like just needs oil/filter change as some cars have hydraulic tensioners to hold the chain tight. However often a rattling chain is sign of a bad tensioner or guides, or even a chain that has stretched often due to the car not being maintained properly.

The only real suggestion I have for you is to try and find other identical cars (car and engine, rest of spec doesn't matter obviously) to compare the noise. To be really sure you could take it to Vauxhall (or any other garage that knows this car well), but they may say they want to open up the engine (to inspect the chain, guides and tensioner and check the timing is correct) to actually give you a real opinion on what's wrong.

3 Thanks given to Over Carl

DejaVu (22nd July 2017),  JonEp (24th July 2017),  piggzy (22nd July 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Definitely going back to the garage to start with as it's currently under warranty. She's had it less than a week and was super excited on the forecourt - Heart before head and all that!
    I would like to think at 63k miles it would simply just need the chain replacing. Other than that, as far as I can tell the motor is tip-top and drives superb - better than my 14 Plate Astra FFS and that's only done 23K.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not in the trade anymore but still find out about things, timing chain is common on 1.2 corsa and goes around 60k, it'll need the chain kit like with a belt, the chain, gears, tensioners, also the water pump, my mate did my son-in laws and it was £350, so expect around that or more, though being under warranty it's not a problem for you.

Thanks to riget

DejaVu (23rd July 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Chains are supposed to be for the lifetime of the vehicle. Think you might be looking in the right area though. Could be that the chain wasn't tensioned properly after having some work done on it? A stretched chain on 63k miles is piss poor if that's what it turns out to be. Either way, take it back and get them to have a look. Might only be a 5 minute fix for someone that knows what they are doing
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

It'll have the fiat engine a pos at best. Any job on the engine is a fiddly job, they're built like a jigsaw you have to remove a lot if crap to replace seemingly simple parts that other manufactures make accessible. Chains do brake on these engines .The main problem is the oil change expectancy. It is far to long. That causes oil ways to block especially on timing chain tensioner and a build up of carbon and chain and related parts. Even with the service history being correct they still have problems.
    Off topic a bit, if you want to see how much the service schedule is too long look up the Psa 1.6 engines as fitted to most vehicles and look for turbo issues.
    Ted

Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

2 Thanks given to BIG-TED

DejaVu (24th July 2017),  Over Carl (24th July 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Called the garage today, they be agreed to look over it tomorrow and see what they can do to sort it.

I think he's looking to tighten up the chain tensioner for now if possible, which I suppose is a start, but I'll look to get it changed in a few months to put the missus mind at rest.

Not overly keen on the idea and would prefer the garage to replace it, which I guess could still be an option once they've looked at it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They'll do well to tighten the tensioner as it runs off oil pressure, there is normally a measurement for the protrusion of the tensioner to determine how far the chain is stretched.

Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

Thanks to BIG-TED

Over Carl (27th July 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Car's been in today.
    Thought the dealership might get a little funny about it, but took it to bits, replaced the timing chain and now drives sweet as a nut.

Missus as happy as a pig in shit now. Drama over!

2 Thanks given to DejaVu

beansontoast (1st August 2017),  Over Carl (27th July 2017)