Close

Thread: Gum Tree Twats

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Gum Tree Twats

Has this ever happened to anyone here?
    After i listed my car on Gum tree last night at 6PM, within 20 seconds had 4 calls from fekin dipshits about an
    accident i have had in the last 3 years, had 4 calls again today, up till now i have had my Number for at least 9 years
    and lucky enough never had any junk calls at all about ppi or crashes ever. so the scammers are now monitoring Gum Tree,
    1st and last time i use it.

really pissed me off

Thanks to WRATH OF BOD

jaygo (1st August 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Gum Tree Twats

Bots will scrape info from any sites they can, I thought Gumtree hid the number until you click a button but there wasn't a CAPTCHA so a bot could get around that too I guess.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sign up for the TPS and then it's illegal for them to contact you without your consent. Sure it then requires that company to check but it's a start.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Thanks to beerman

WRATH OF BOD (30th July 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my experience even registered on TPS doesn't stop all of these arse clowns. I've unplugged my home landline.

That did the trick lol

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I find a referees whistle stops them

Sent from my Philips Cellnet using a 12c508
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

About Gumtree, it seems to have displaced Loot as the place to put up free adverts for stolen or reasonably cheap items.

I've tried both to sell cars and I always found that I would get plenty of retards calling up offering stupid prices (e.g. If I had a car up at £1000 ono that basically means put £900 in my hand and take it away, but the Loot/Gumtree retards would call up offering amounts like £400).

Registering with TPS does seem to reduce the amount of nuisance calls, but the dodgy firms don't give a toss and will still call.

Normally I don't waste time and just hang up on nuisance calls, however if I am in the mood and have spare time I love leading them on and wasting their time hoping they are going to get loads of commission (e.g. spend 20-30 mins on the phone detailing some made up injuries and accidents before just saying at the end all the injuries were just imaginary and hang up).

Thanks
    Karma Level

The TPS is as much use as a chocolate teapot - we're registered and we get probably 20 calls a week from unknown or international numbers spamming us with shite.

I did buy some BT 8600 phones which have a screening feature and if it doesn't recognise the number it asks the caller to announce themselves - the spammers just hang up at this point so the phone itself never actually rings.

Any numbers in the address book of the phone can be configured to come through directly and ring without going through the above - it's great and massively reduced the amount of times I near on shat myself when the landline rings (usually it's bad news when it rings!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced.../dp/B01CQUGPQY

We got the trio pack for 59 quid so it seems the price varies big time!

4 Thanks given to reverend

consoles (29th July 2017),  MHP (29th July 2017),  Over Carl (29th July 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (30th July 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    The TPS is as much use as a chocolate teapot - we're registered and we get probably 20 calls a week from unknown or international numbers spamming us with shite.

I did buy some BT 8600 phones which have a screening feature and if it doesn't recognise the number it asks the caller to announce themselves - the spammers just hang up at this point so the phone itself never actually rings.

Any numbers in the address book of the phone can be configured to come through directly and ring without going through the above - it's great and massively reduced the amount of times I near on shat myself when the landline rings (usually it's bad news when it rings!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced.../dp/B01CQUGPQY

We got the trio pack for 59 quid so it seems the price varies big time!
    Exactly what I did - it works 100%
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

I get a fair few calls from PPI companies of late and also the usual survey bullshit.

I start the call by informing them politely that I suffer from Tourette's and apologise in advance for any profanities I may utter as a result.
    I then wait to see how long they dare stay on the line.

Some stay on the line ages, some hang up quickly as did the foreign lady I shouted "Pig Fucking Swamp Donkey" at.

Why none of them wonder how I can politely inform them of my condition without any issues before minutes later bursting into a tirade of insults is beyond me. Thick cunts.

4 Thanks given to piggzy

andyinlondon (3rd August 2017),  ivrytwr3 (30th July 2017),  Over Carl (29th July 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (30th July 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Someone I know used to work at one of these cold call centres, he said they were given about 5 numbers in the morning which were legit and not on the TPS. After that they were told to mix digits about for the rest of the day. I think he lasted a week in that job.

BT also have a new Call Protect feature which shouldn't require special handsets:
    http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phon...11364136279611

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use the true caller app to weed these out on my mobile, but beware in addition to call screening it crowd sources your phone book for every one to provide its caller id function.

If you just want to reverse a telephone number (mobile or landline) just use their web page and an email address that has no contacts in the address book.