I rang Amazon this morning (Sunday) as my Kindle Paper white wouldn't charge despite leaving on charge over night. The screen just displayed a battery icon with and ! in the middle.

I know how it got to this point, when I connect to my PC I never release the usb port from the task bar and the kindle sometimes get confused between charging and data mode and gets the battery charging status confused. Normally a reset sorts this out (40 second on the power button) but I left it too long this time sitting ideal and the battery when flat.

Loads of stuff on the net on how to fix this, the gold standard is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it but I couldn't be arsed so I called Amazon support who got me to repeat a single a reset then told me the kindle was out of warranty being two and half years old but offered me a discount on a new one.

I told him that wasn't my plan, I would rather they just replaced it as here in the UK we expect things to last longer than the traditional 12 month warranty. He said I'll just check with returns, put me on hold for 5 minutes came back and told me they would send a replacement out tomorrow free of charge.

Great customer service, would of been even better with pretense of checking with someone else as I'm sure he just checking the amazon account but still very happy as I was just going to buy another one.