Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Amazon - Very good Kindle support

I rang Amazon this morning (Sunday) as my Kindle Paper white wouldn't charge despite leaving on charge over night. The screen just displayed a battery icon with and ! in the middle.

I know how it got to this point, when I connect to my PC I never release the usb port from the task bar and the kindle sometimes get confused between charging and data mode and gets the battery charging status confused. Normally a reset sorts this out (40 second on the power button) but I left it too long this time sitting ideal and the battery when flat.

Loads of stuff on the net on how to fix this, the gold standard is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it but I couldn't be arsed so I called Amazon support who got me to repeat a single a reset then told me the kindle was out of warranty being two and half years old but offered me a discount on a new one.

I told him that wasn't my plan, I would rather they just replaced it as here in the UK we expect things to last longer than the traditional 12 month warranty. He said I'll just check with returns, put me on hold for 5 minutes came back and told me they would send a replacement out tomorrow free of charge.

Great customer service, would of been even better with pretense of checking with someone else as I'm sure he just checking the amazon account but still very happy as I was just going to buy another one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Amazon - Very good Kindle support

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    I rang Amazon this morning (Sunday) as my Kindle Paper white wouldn't charge despite leaving on charge over night. The screen just displayed a battery icon with and ! in the middle.

I know how it got to this point, when I connect to my PC I never release the usb port from the task bar and the kindle sometimes get confused between charging and data mode and gets the battery charging status confused. Normally a reset sorts this out (40 second on the power button) but I left it too long this time sitting ideal and the battery when flat.

Loads of stuff on the net on how to fix this, the gold standard is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it but I couldn't be arsed so I called Amazon support who got me to repeat a single a reset then told me the kindle was out of warranty being two and half years old but offered me a discount on a new one.

I told him that wasn't my plan, I would rather they just replaced it as here in the UK we expect things to last longer than the traditional 12 month warranty. He said I'll just check with returns, put me on hold for 5 minutes came back and told me they would send a replacement out tomorrow free of charge.

Great customer service, would of been even better with pretense of checking with someone else as I'm sure he just checking the amazon account but still very happy as I was just going to buy another one.
    Don't get this site now - we had a post earlier asking how to edit a timestamp to get out of paying for something they didn't check and now you admittedly use the device incorrectly then stamp your feet and say Amazon has very good customer service? They have gone above and beyond and the device would have lasted longer if you had used it to correctly.

Honestly, i am all for a bargain, bending rules etc, but surely this is taking the piss?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ivrytwr3 View Post
    Don't get this site now - we had a post earlier asking how to edit a timestamp to get out of paying for something they didn't check and now you admittedly use the device incorrectly then stamp your feet and say Amazon has very good customer service? They have gone above and beyond and the device would have lasted longer if you had used it to correctly.

Honestly, i am all for a bargain, bending rules etc, but surely this is taking the piss?
    I have no idea what your talking about old bean. I had nothing to do with the first post you refer too and I have not used the device incorrectly nor tried to beat the system as you infer.

I was complimenting them on their customer service that is all.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

From a customer POV yes their service is excellent but I suppose they can afford to do that with all the tax they have dodged over the years! The problem is when they have taken down most of their competition and then have control of the market so can do what they want. I'm an Amazon shopper too, their Prime next day delivery, competitive prices and simple returns make my life easier.

Apple have been similar in this regard in the past, I've heard of them replacing cracked screens FOC for whatever reason even though it wasn't their responsibility to do so but with their war chest they can afford to and the positive publicity would gain more customers or keep existing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have no idea what your talking about old bean. I had nothing to do with the first post you refer too

You had nothing to to do with the first post, yes, i know that. I was saying earlier today someone else was asking how to edit a timestamp to avoid paying a charge, now you are telling us how you wangled a free kindle.

I have not used the device incorrectly nor tried to beat the system as you infer. I was complimenting them on their customer service that is all.
    You did use the device incorrectly:

Then you go onto say that couldn't be 'arsed' to do the fix and so badgered Amazon to give you a new one even though you had incorrectly used the device and the device was well out of warranty.

Or am i reading this completely wrong?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think most modern OS's default to fast disconnect on the USB so no need to eject in most cases. I can't say I know if Amazon document the need for ejecting before disconnecting but usually their equipment is minimalist so they would just say to disconnect or not mention it at all. Can't see anything wrong in what Jons done, just like iPhones/iPods can now be unplugged but back in the day this risked corrupting them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fair enough, not judging, honest!

Thanks
    Karma Level

You had nothing to to do with the first post, yes, i know that. I was saying earlier today someone else was asking how to edit a timestamp to avoid paying a charge, now you are telling us how you wangled a free kindle.

You did use the device incorrectly:

Then you go onto say that couldn't be 'arsed' to do the fix and so badgered Amazon to give you a new one even though you had incorrectly used the device and the device was well out of warranty.

Or am i reading this completely wrong?
    The only reference to dismounting the kindle in the manual refers to switching modes from charging to reading whilst charging.

In fact the word dismount only appears once in the whole manual.

You can still use your Kindle whilst it is connected to your computer and charging via USB. To do so,
    dismount or eject it so that your Kindle exits USB drive mode.

It makes no referece I can find about a requirement to eject to disconnect.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/customerdocumentation/EM/Kindle_User_Guide_EN-GB.pdf

To further suggest I badgered them is also wrong.

I followed the support procedure on the website, received a call back and made full disclosure of the fault, possible cause and preferred remedy.