Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Car Rental help required!

Is there anyway you can change the time stamp on a Iphone photo? I've just had a rental car for 2 weeks and I didn't give it a thorough check when I picked it up - late at night, 2 tired kids etc etc. Anyway the next morning, I notice a huge dent in the rear wing. I've taken a load of photos but they've basically stung me for £700. I want to contest this but all the pics I have are for the day after I picked it up. There's no way that it was pranged that night as it was reversed parked against a wall between two pillars. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Car Rental help required!

Pretty sure that if you're caught, you risk having a case against you under the 2006 Fraud Act for Fraud by false misrepresentation. Technically, the same challenge could be raised to the hire company by deliberately marking the check out sheet as no damage, although that element is void based on the fact you countersigned the documentation, therefore entering into a legally binding contract.

Part of me wants to say, serves you right for not checking, hire care companies are scum, and would encourage you to contest it, but not by misrepresentation.

The other part of me says look for an EXIF editor online or to download, because after all, there is no such thing as a legit, morally correct hire vehicle company.

Good luck.

3 Thanks given to BigBrand

JonEp (30th July 2017),  Over Carl (30th July 2017),  TJB (30th July 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I never signed anything. I've got an Avis preferred thing. I basically walked up to the counter, showed my card and they gave me the keys. They didn't even bother coming out of their booth. I totally get where you're coming from and I've been kicking myself for not checking but I know it hasn't happened on my watch.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you haven't signed anything, let them come after you surely - your word against theirs?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Pretty sure that if you're caught, you risk having a case against you under the 2006 Fraud Act for Fraud by false misrepresentation. Technically, the same challenge could be raised to the hire company by deliberately marking the check out sheet as no damage, although that element is void based on the fact you countersigned the documentation, therefore entering into a legally binding contract.
    One potential idea but I'm uncertain if firstly this route is available, and secondly whether it would actually work.......

Look closely at the damage sheet and the car. If you can find damage on the sheet that isn't on the car, can the damage sheet still be considered valid?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If nobody checked the car with you and then made you sign the sheet to verify you are happy with the car, they dont have a leg to stand on as you have not signed anything to say there was/wasnt any damage when hired.