Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Fentanyl deaths: Warning as drug kills at least 60

At least 60 people have died in the UK in the last eight months after taking the strong painkiller fentanyl.
    Tests on heroin seized by police since November found traces of the synthetic drug, with more than 70 further deaths pending toxicology reports, the National Crime Agency (NCA) said.
    Some contained carfentanyl, which is 10,000 times stronger as morphine and is often used to tranquilize elephants.
    Health officials and police have warned heroin users to be "extra careful".
    Most of the deaths were in the police force areas of West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, Humberside and Cleveland, the NCA said.
    They were predominantly men and a range of ages, with none younger than 18.
    Live updates and more stories from Yorkshire
    Fentanyl, which hit the headlines after it was linked to the death of US singer Prince, is considered to be 50 times more potent than heroin according to America's Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
    While it can be legally prescribed, sometimes in the form of a patch or nasal spray, carfentanyl is only used as an anaesthetic for large animals, the NCA said.
    Recent NCA investigations found that fentanyl and its analogues are being both supplied in and exported from the UK.
    What is fentanyl?

Fentanyl is an extremely strong painkiller, prescribed for severe chronic pain, or breakthrough pain which does not respond to regular painkillers.
    It is an opioid painkiller which means it works by mimicking the body's natural painkillers, called endorphins, which block pain messages to the brain.
    The risk of harm is higher if the wrong dose or strength is used.
    Typical symptoms of a fentanyl overdose include slow and difficult breathing, nausea and vomiting, dizziness and increased blood pressure.
    Officers have warned drug users that heroin and other class A drugs were being laced with synthetic opioids like fentanyl.
    Det Supt Pat Twiggs, of West Yorkshire Police, said: "People are playing Russian roulette with their lives by taking this stuff, that's why we would strongly recommend to the drug-using community to stay away from it.
    "The business is not done under lab conditions, it's not done by scientists, it's done in a very uncontrolled way by people seeking out profit - this is why we're concerned when you're dealing with such toxic chemicals."
    A national alert was issued in April by Public Health England to warn medical and drugs services of the need to be vigilant.
    Richard Sykes, principal analyst at West Yorkshire Analytical Services, said: "If you look at normal street heroin probably something like a quarter of a sugarcube would be a normal dose, but with carfentanyl a single grain of salt would probably be enough to kill a person, so it's extremely dangerous."
    On Monday a 25-year-old man from Gwent was charged in connection with investigations into the supply of synthetic opioids.
    Three men arrested in April in Leeds have also been charged.

BBC News
    Last edited by BertRoot; 1st August 2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Tidy

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fentanyl deaths: Warning as drug kills at least 60

One thing that really confuses me is what goes into some drugs. Years back some people were sold white heroin as coke in the Dam but the heroin was worth so much more! Coke over here is cut with all sorts, I read recently on Vice that animal worming powder was being sold at festivals which can rot your face. Why would dealers sell potentially dangerous gear when there must be safer, cheaper options out there??

As for Fentanyl, this pic says it all really, lethal doses side by side...
    3d2vwodx1oox.jpg

I always thought the stories about rat poison in pills were put out there by anti-drug campaigners but articles like this make you wonder...

Thanks to evilsatan

akimba (4th August 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had an operation on a nerve in my arm last year and was given Fentanyl injections just before and after the op, powerful stuff that!!! Was pretty good actually was also surprised how quickly it affected me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

@evilsatan they used to cut acid with strychnine which was noticeable by sluggish limbs and aches.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    @evilsatan they used to cut acid with strychnine which was noticeable by sluggish limbs and aches.
    Jesus, I just don't see the point. I get that profits are above all for a lot of dealers but surely repeat custom is also key! From what I gather the darknet marketplaces are selling pure stuff, must take balls to place an order from one of those places though in fear of a sting operation.

Very recently I heard that street dealers were accidentally serving up near-on pure coke, just all a bit bizarre. I imagined every step along the way it was stamped on which diluted purity and boosted profits for all involved.

Thanks to evilsatan

akimba (4th August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just called my gp after reading this as I'm on the patches!!
    he sees no reason for me to stop using them and said I shouldn't be worried if anything changes I will be contacted.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    Just called my gp after reading this as I'm on the patches!!
    he sees no reason for me to stop using them and said I shouldn't be worried if anything changes I will be contacted.
    I think the article is about accidental use as it is being used to cut heroin rather than prescribed use, worth contacting them for your peace of mind though mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Jesus, I just don't see the point. I get that profits are above all for a lot of dealers but surely repeat custom is also key! From what I gather the darknet marketplaces are selling pure stuff, must take balls to place an order from one of those places though in fear of a sting operation.

Very recently I heard that street dealers were accidentally serving up near-on pure coke, just all a bit bizarre. I imagined every step along the way it was stamped on which diluted purity and boosted profits for all involved.
    I would have thought the other way round. The seller is the one taking the risk surely ? Having said that the buyer has to trust the seller with regards to quality and even if it will turn up ect. Never ever ordered anything from the darkweb. A few times I "nearly" did but my not having bitcoin and inflated prices (IMHO) put me off......Yes yes I am one of the many millions who hovered over the buy bitcoin buttons/pages when they were at about $12........oh well I would have spent them as soon as I got them so no big deal.

Interesting question though - Do any of us "know" anyone who has ordered or sold through the dark web and did everything go according to plan ?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I watch the shows on TV like border force and when they intercept packages they send them on and monitor the address. Personal amounts would probably end up being a slap on the wrist but nonetheless not a list someone would want to be on!

I have a friend that said he did and said he mates at uni did but I haven't validated this, this is going back years now on the original Silk Road apparently. As they are ran like a marketplace I believe there is a feedback system, obviously nothing prevents this being faked still...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Interesting question though - Do any of us "know" anyone who has ordered or sold through the dark web and did everything go according to plan ?
    I "know" someone. Made 5 transactions, 3 of which were successful.

Thanks to TJB

DavidF (3rd August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    I have made purchases through the DW (not drugs) and the selling sites e.g. DreamMarket ..Operate a feedback policy much like ebay/aliexpress, so you can for the most part eliminate risk.
    e.g. Choosing a seller that has been around years and sold a number of what you are looking for successfully. Also the site I mentioned hold the funds from the "customer" and only release to the seller when you leave positive feedback or agree to release funds.

Edit: I have never lost out.

Thanks to piggzy

DavidF (3rd August 2017)