Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default USB problems with Lenovo Miix 320

I have a Lenovo miix 320 netbook from work. I’ve only had it a week but I’ve noticed its very slow to read from USB sticks. This morning it took over 3 minutes for the netbook to recognise it and then when I tried to copy a folder from the USB stick to the c drive it just hung for ages and then I had no option but to cancel the request. The same things happening to a guy in my office who has the same netbook.

I called our IT department for advice but they just asked me to drop it off for them to have a look at. I’m reluctant to do this because they’re not the quickest or the best at problem solving and they’ll have it for weeks where I need it fixed quickly.

I’m no expert in IT things but I thought it perhaps had something to do with the Symantec anti virus they installed on it. When I insert a usb stick I receive a notification from Symantec stating

‘symantec endpoint protection blocked explorer.exe from accessing autorun.inf. autorun has been blocked. Check the control log for more details’

I’m not sure if this plays a part in why the usb isn’t performing as well as it should be or if it’s perhaps the drivers or something I haven’t thought of.

Any advice appreciated.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: USB problems with Lenovo Miix 320

Sounds like you may have hit the nail on the head, many AV programs have the option to scan removable media, if your company has put a policy in place (which would be a good idea) that any removable media must be scanned before access is granted then it would cause a delay in it being available to you and any real-time scanning may affect transfer speeds.

Are you able to temporarily disable the AV as a test or is it locked by the admins?

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (8th August 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I disabled the AV but I was still experiencing the same problem. When I looked at device manager under universal serial bus controllers it mentioned there was a fault with the device descriptor. I uninstalled the device, restarted the netbook and everything seemed to be okay. I began to copy stuff from the usb to c drive but half way through the problem started again. I uninstalled the usb device and restarted again and now trying again in a different port and usb stick. it's copying again but it's taken so far 10 mins at only 13% for a 1gb folder. That ain't right.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Go to the Lenovo drivers page and see if System Update is on there, if it is download and run as it finds all driver updates and lets you install them. If this isn't there then look to update any USB3 drivers and chipset drivers. You can then update the rest if you wish.

Thanks to evilsatan

Argyll (9th August 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Also worth trying safe mode.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My suggestion would be to mention this issue to your boss then hand the laptop to IT.

You can't do your job properly (or to maximum efficiency) without the laptop, not your fault.

If/when it comes back with the same issue mention to your boss so he is aware your productivity is reduced by this IT issue.

Imho, the last thing you want to do is start fixing it yourself as god forbid someone else (a colleague, your kid, anyone/thing) uses your laptop, it gets infected, then your company suffers downtime and the finger is pointed at you for breaching IT policy and tampering with security measures set in place by your IT dept.

Worst possible scenario would probably work out as dismissal for gross misconduct for you, so that's why my opinion is to pester via the proper channels.

Thanks to Over Carl

Argyll (9th August 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I know OC but I don't think you realise how bad our IT dept actually are. The said netbook sat for 3 weeks in their office because some fat lazy bastard couldn't be bothered installing AV. It's just so frustrating when you need a simple thing done but it takes weeks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I took the netbook to my IT department yesterday and they spent an hour looking at it but I’m no further forward. One of the guys is convinced it’s due to the shitty atom processor but I explained to him I have a Toshiba Satellite mini click at home that has a lesser atom processor and that fine. So I think he’s barking up the wrong tree there. I mean even if it is a shitty processor it should still be able to carry out basic tasks such as copying from a USB stick.

I did switch off the Symantec av but when I insert the usb stick I still receive the ‘blocked autorun.exe’ warning. I guess this must be in the settings and maybe I can’t get access to this. I’ve to take it back to them on Monday for them to have another look at so I’ll see what happens. I’m guessing it’s something to do with Symantec.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can you try safe mode?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Can you try safe mode?
    Sorry I forgot to try before as you suggested.

When I tried it in safe mode it worked perfectly. It picked up the usb stick and copied the files over very quickly. Does this give any clues what the problem could be?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, it will be software related and I believe you were right all along and it will be to do with Symantec, unless there's is other software monitoring external devices. Are you restricted by what you can do on this machine and what version of Symantec is it?

It all depends if you will get yourself in trouble or not but if your IT dept are as inept as you make out (quite possible as in some simple steps we have proven it's not the CPU which should have been obvious anyway) it's probably not too hard to enable an admin account to gain access to the whole machine. If the AV is a business edition it probably reports back to a central location so they'll see if you remove and replace with something else.

I guess first step is to show them it works fine in safe mode and hope they don't take offence that you've managed to prove your point by doing something they should have done in the first place.

Thanks
    Karma Level

did you try copy the files from the drive toanother pc , full format the disk and copy the files back ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've attached a screenshot of the Symantec version. I believe I have admin rights to this netbook but at the moment I'm reluctant to play about with Symantec unless they're no further forward when I take it back to them. I did remove symantec from an older work Lenovo Thinkpad a few years ago and replaced with MSE. If they were alerted to me removing it no one contacted me about it so I guess it wouldn't be a problem removing it.

Plug do you mean formatting the USB stick or the netbook hard drive?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Argyll; 13th August 2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add screenshot

Thanks
    Karma Level

I meant usb drive , i take it the problems is not just with the one usb drive ?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't use MSE anymore, I think the top brands are Kaspersky, Eset and Bitdefender (Eset is my preference). They do all cost though...

Thanks to evilsatan

Argyll (14th August 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It turned out to be the ‘active monitoring’ in Ccleaner. I guess it must have been conflicting with Symantec AV. I disabled it this morning and it worked fine after a restart. I think the IT guy was a bit embarrassed this afternoon when I called to tell him I had fixed it myself and what the problem was.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the info about MSE. i did run ESET for a few years with dodgy keys but it was harder to find the keys on the net so I binned it and just installed MSE. I have ESET mobile security on my phone (paid for) which seems to be okay.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah, first thing I do if installing Ccleaner is to turn that off, not because of this but I don't like stuff like that running in the background using resources!

Thanks to evilsatan

Argyll (14th August 2017)  

Social Networking Bookmarks