Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default WAN/LAN Draytek & Hitron from VM

EDITTED Entire post.
    Makes things easier to understand and now I'm sitting at my PC rather than on my phone, I can explain more.

Happily trundling along with ADSL Fibre at 80/20Mb.
    Then they decided to build 16 flats above the office - but do not want to fork out for phone lines for all flats, enter VirginMedias 200Mb offering with a Hitron CGNV4 - https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...4-Router-Guide

Ethernets installed into a 'switch room' and that side of things seems spot on and all runs fine via the Vigor Draytek2760 currently in place (also using the VPN on this Router so needs to stay).

Ports are used as a VLAN1 (192.168.1.*) for the office and VLAN2 (10.10.10.*) for the flats.

Initially ordered from VM with 13 Fixed IP addresses with no WiFi or DHCP capabilities (order by a numpty).
    Changed the order and now turns out they cannot offer a fixed IP and guarantee 200Mb til a new firmware update is released (but thats a whole new can of worms involving DDNS!)

I KNOW that there are a few on here that promote Draytek, because thats how they ended up with one from the say so of this forum!
    On this Draytek we have WAN1 assigned permanently to ADSL/VDSL.
    WAN2 is configurable for Ethernet, but this is where shit falls apart for me.

I want to keep the Hitron as is (DHCP, Wireless etc using 172.16.1.*) and pass the internet to the router at 192.168.1.254 (with VDSL turned off).
    If I turn the Hitron into 'Modem' mode, all DHCP functionality and wireless is disabled. I'll need to pull it's pants down (DMZ?) to pass all responsibility to the Draytek for VPN purposes etc.

Any pointers vastly appreciated!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 18th August 2017 at 08:31 PM.