Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default WAN/LAN Draytek & Hitron from VM

EDITTED Entire post.
    Makes things easier to understand and now I'm sitting at my PC rather than on my phone, I can explain more.

Happily trundling along with ADSL Fibre at 80/20Mb.
    Then they decided to build 16 flats above the office - but do not want to fork out for phone lines for all flats, enter VirginMedias 200Mb offering with a Hitron CGNV4 - https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...4-Router-Guide

Ethernets installed into a 'switch room' and that side of things seems spot on and all runs fine via the Vigor Draytek2760 currently in place (also using the VPN on this Router so needs to stay).

Ports are used as a VLAN1 (192.168.1.*) for the office and VLAN2 (10.10.10.*) for the flats.

Initially ordered from VM with 13 Fixed IP addresses with no WiFi or DHCP capabilities (order by a numpty).
    Changed the order and now turns out they cannot offer a fixed IP and guarantee 200Mb til a new firmware update is released (but thats a whole new can of worms involving DDNS!)

I KNOW that there are a few on here that promote Draytek, because thats how they ended up with one from the say so of this forum!
    On this Draytek we have WAN1 assigned permanently to ADSL/VDSL.
    WAN2 is configurable for Ethernet, but this is where shit falls apart for me.

I want to keep the Hitron as is (DHCP, Wireless etc using 172.16.1.*) and pass the internet to the router at 192.168.1.254 (with VDSL turned off).
    If I turn the Hitron into 'Modem' mode, all DHCP functionality and wireless is disabled. I'll need to pull it's pants down (DMZ?) to pass all responsibility to the Draytek for VPN purposes etc.

Any pointers vastly appreciated!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 18th August 2017 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: WAN/LAN Draytek & Hitron from VM

Have you connected it to the right lan port - off memory they had to use lan 4 as didn't have a standalone Wan2 port

Thanks to hoponbaby

Over Carl (18th August 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I did indeed. But think it was the Hitron at fault. Wasn't entirely sure where I went wrong to be fair.

Sort of went with this - Not sure how a few lines on a text file equated to a five minute video (the bloke must waffle - I had no sound at the time).
    Also being a Superhub didn't really work out well either.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfGviIzXDk

But didn't work either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I KNOW that there are a few on here that promote Draytek, because thats how they ended up with one from the say so of this forum!

I have a funny feeling I might have been the one who suggested to a lot of people to get Drayteks (back in the days when I was doing IT stuff), however if I understand this correctly the actual question is nothing to do with Draytek's in particular.

I can't remember the exact details about this type of setup (and it may vary from what I was used to), but I have a feeling what you will need to do is:

Ditch the VM router, and install a router in router only mode (no NAT). Then this picks up the first of your addresses via DHCP from Virgin, then you have your other router(s) connected to the "LAN" side of this router with static internet IP addresses. The reason I used "LAN" in speech marks, normally with most routers you get a WAN port, then 1 or more LAN ports, with NAT in the router. Once you have disabled NAT, both sides could be considered as WAN (as both sides are dealing with real/public internet addresses, not private addresses like 192.168.x.x / 172.x.x.x / 10.x.x.x).

You might be able to do this with the Virgin router, but from my limited knowledge of them I think the only options are regular router with NAT, or modem mode, and neither will really do for your circumstance (unless you can put it in modem only mode, have another router as your main router, then another router in NAT mode).
    Last edited by Over Carl; 18th August 2017 at 09:34 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't really ditch the router as it's a DOCSIS type with the internet delivered via optic cable.

As hoponbaby seems to suggest, it must be something to do with disabling WAN1 (VDSL) and enabling WAN2 (Ethernet) to 'pass-thru' the net connection.

It's working out exactly what all the settings are in the Draytek are in order to work out that the connection is coming in from LAN port 4.

It's got loads of options including PPPoE which I figure comes close to where I need to be, but also asks for the network username and password (which I also have).

I've got VPN access to the Draytek, but due to not getting the Hitron connected (yet), I can't access the router page for that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Forget the Draytek for now and just use a laptop to try and get the connection from the Virgin router. If you can't get a laptop to work, Draytek won't work either.

Once you have cracked the settings between Virgin and Draytek (or test laptop), then work on settings between Draytek and your LAN.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right Deja, Did this same thing today for a m8 who was having issues trying to get his Mag254 connecting to a vpn only on his Draytek while keeping his virgin router purely for normal un VPN connections..

Right you want to keep all the wifi, dhcp etc on the virgin Router but use the Draytek as your VPN enabled gateway for other devices?

If so, on your Draytek go to your wan settings, then Wan 2 Details page. Pick Static IP / Dynamic IP.

Enable this and choose obtain ip address automatically. On the left had side change ARP Detect to Always On.

Make sure you have dns servers on the bottom right (Normally use google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)

Click ok and reboot the router. Now you will have your connection going through the Draytek on the Drayteks DHCP and your Virgin will give out its own DHCP.

Thanks to AD

Over Carl (19th August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's probably the simplest way to have to have the 2 LAN subnets as desired. However anything connected to Draytek will be now NAT'd twice (by both routers) and it will be impossible to use the remainder of the public IP addresses.

If we aren't bothered about the rest of the public IP's just put Virgin in router only mode feeding WAN2 (ethernet) of Draytek then setup two different LAN's in Draytek.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 19th August 2017 at 04:34 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Finally off to the office to resolve this now. Be there within the hour, hoping it is as straight forward as you suggest.

Need to keep the VLANs on the Draytek and going to use the VM as a pass thru using WAN4.

I will be on here scrounging for assistance if I start banging my head on the desk again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

OK.

So now the Hitron is dealing with the office's Switch.
    That's now working as it should - although ports to Exchange server need opening.

So - Office Switch is in LAN PORT 2 on Hitron, all IP's are present and working.
    Hitron (192.168.1.254) LAN PORT 4 connected to LAN PORT 4 on Draytek (192.168.1.20).

Flats are plugged into LAN PORT 3 using VLAN0 (192.168.2.*) and appear to be working fine.

I've got an IP range for the Office thus - 192.168.1.* via the Hitron.
    I've got an IP range for the VLAN on the Draytek (Flats) thus - 192.168.2.*

I also want incorporate the Drayteks VPN system into the Office. Is this possible? I'm thinking of forwarding on VPN ports on the Hitron to IP 192.168.1.20.
    But is the Draytek able to see the IP's on the Hitron at 192.168.1.105. I'm not so sure.

This is confusing as hell!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If I have read this correctly, LAN4 of the 2760 is being used as WAN2 on the Draytek? If so, I'm not sure the Draytek can access the LAN of the Hitron. I'm trying to recall if I am able to access the web config page of the WAN2 gateway from the Draytek, I guess if you can then the rest of that LAN should be contactable. This would probably be the best test for you to try.

If the office has a server you may want to set up a VPN server on there as a plan b, seeing as the WAN routing would be going through the Hitron to the Draytek to go back through the Hitron to the office this would probably be a simpler resolution.