Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Security

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Home Security

Quote Originally Posted by grrrd View Post
    you wouldn't need to know the passcode if the SSID signal is strong enough the camera will try to authenticate against it regardless (and fail). just have to emit a strong enough signal to drown out the real SSID?
    Ah, I thought you meant to intercept the data rather than d/c the camera from it's base. Yeah I guess that could work if the original signal was blocked or the device power cycled.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a Ring Pro here and it's not the best at night - it misses no end of motion which my normal CCTV picks up at night time. The day is ok but at night it's not the best if you're depending on it for security. If you get any issues Ring will blame your WiFi setup pretty much every time.

At the moment I've got a few networked IP POE Dahua Starvis cameras (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) - those are motorised zoom which takes the guess work out of which lens to go for (ie wide or narrow).

I swapped out the Hikvision Darkfighter that was on the front of the house for a Dahua SD59225U-HNI at the weekend which is an autotracking PTZ and the first night it picked up a couple of guys trying to steal next doors M3!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quite a lot of great feedback, thanks! I have a Yale wireless alarm with PIR/shock detectors yet to put up. My dad had a bit to do with Abel alarm back in the day and bought my brother's Yale system about 5 years back. He's never had a problem and the batteries last a year plus. I don't have much of value really, and always said if someone breaks in they may feel that they should leave something rather than take anything once they see what's inside! The 5 year old Panasonic Plasma is bolted down to stop it falling onto the kids when they were younger!

Back to the Ring system, I like the idea of them but I have a limit in my mind where I can't justify paying £300+ for 2 that I'd need. Wireless is certainly convenient to me, with the need to put up floodlights where wiring is already there. Just a shame this really is the only option that incorporates both other than the damn ugly Night Watcher one!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry if off topic, is there a way to connect POE cameras through say a home plug?

Got one I need to fit but apart from running cable over the roof of house I’m stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Sorry if off topic, is there a way to connect POE cameras through say a home plug?

Got one I need to fit but apart from running cable over the roof of house I’m stuck.

Need more information, by what do you mean with Home plug? 3 pin mains adapter type or network over mains type plug? anyways if it is a network over mains then I'm not sure because I don't know what unused pins are used for this type of plug, POE uses the unused pins to supply the power and is completely seperate from the normal signal pins used within a cat5 setup. Some POE cameras also have a seperate power feed, for battery backup. Obviously you require some sort of camera reciever, this supplies the source of your power. POE has two types, Active and Passive, Active will check if the power is correct, if not the Camera will not power up !, Passive does not do any handshaking to check voltage, so important that it recieves the correct voltage.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lestronics View Post
    Need more information, by what do you mean with Home plug? 3 pin mains adapter type or network over mains type plug? anyways if it is a network over mains then I'm not sure because I don't know what unused pins are used for this type of plug, POE uses the unused pins to supply the power and is completely seperate from the normal signal pins used within a cat5 setup. Some POE cameras also have a seperate power feed, for battery backup. Obviously you require some sort of camera reciever, this supplies the source of your power. POE has two types, Active and Passive, Active will check if the power is correct, if not the Camera will not power up !, Passive does not do any handshaking to check voltage, so important that it recieves the correct voltage.
    Wouldn't a PoE injector connected to the camera end do the job if his homeplugs weren't compatible with ones such as this? https://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerl...500av-poe.html

That's assuming he is using homeplugs like the above rather than the other type you mentioned.

Thanks to evilsatan

Ashley (29th March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Wouldn't a PoE injector connected to the camera end do the job if his homeplugs weren't compatible with ones such as this? https://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerl...500av-poe.html

That's assuming he is using homeplugs like the above rather than the other type you mentioned.
    That looks like it'll do the job ! assuming the camera is Active and not Passive? if not then you'll most likely destroy the camera because the voltage will be wrong !!, begs the question what is he using for the reciever though, how are you viewing your footage/recording etc?

Thanks to Lestronics

Ashley (29th March 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I’ve got this system http://Sannce[emoji768] 4CH 1080P Po..._EWkVAbPB6VH4E

I’ve installed one out front and got that run into the dvr, I’ve installed one outback and am struggling to get the cable round to my dvr.

I have outside sockets so was hoping to use my zyxell plugs but they don’t work.

The solwise ones seem to be ideal

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That looks like it'll do the job ! assuming the camera is Active and not Passive? if not then you'll most likely destroy the camera because the voltage will be wrong !!, begs the question what is he using for the reciever though, how are you viewing your footage/recording etc?
    I’ve got this system http://Sannce[emoji768] 4CH 1080P Po..._EWkVAbPB6VH4E

I’ve installed one out front and got that run into the dvr, I’ve installed one outback and am struggling to get the cable round to my dvr.

I have outside sockets so was hoping to use my zyxell plugs but they don’t work.

The solwise ones seem to be ideal

As Les says, just make sure the PoE standard is supported by your camera!

Thanks to evilsatan

Ashley (29th March 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I will do thanks for the reply guys

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I’m using the supplied dvr to view the footage.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I’m using the supplied dvr to view the footage.

Just had a look on Amazon and it looks remarkably similar to the H-View system I'm using !! Unfortunately neither list what POE standards they use, what is the voltage on the power adapter to the reciever? if it's a 12vdc suply then it's most likely going to be passive, a 48vdc supply will almost certainly be Active.

Thanks to Lestronics

Ashley (29th March 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had a look on Amazon and it looks remarkably similar to the H-View system I'm using !! Unfortunately neither list what POE standards they use, what is the voltage on the power adapter to the reciever? if it's a 12vdc suply then it's most likely going to be passive, a 48vdc supply will almost certainly be Active.
    Cheers will check when home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12