Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Is there a need for satellites and aerials?

Just that! I've been thinking of getting a new satellite dish but can't stand the cables that trail down the walls. This got me thinking, do we actually need one?

Who on here watches live TV through the traditional means? I can't remember when I last did. Even the kids put on the iPlayer. We have netflix, prime video and the other catch-up players which play very much second fiddle to iPlayer, Plex and IPTV. I don't think I have 'recorded' anything in yonks! What isn't available to watch whenever you want isn't worth knowing about. Whole series can be accessed without waiting for a certain time in a day or week, that 5 years ago I wouldn't have believed.

So am I alone or does anyone share my TV revolution? Just got to convince the Mrs that we don't need the big dinner plate on the outside of our house now!

Thanks to dainese

MHP (23rd August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is there a need for satellites and aerials?

Yes and no. I too watch pretty much everything via the tinterweb but if Legal methods of watching satellite weren't such a complete and utter rip off I would subscribe tomorrow.

It does seem however that everything is going down the IPTV route even on the legal side. How will we all be watching TV in 10 years. Pretty sure it is far cheaper to run thousands of servers than it is to launch huge chunks of metal into orbit and maintain all that is needed on earth too. Yes people with shite internet will be fucked but do this massive corporations give a shit about the 2% they will lose ?!?!?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a massive 4.5 metre dish on the roof doing sweet fuck all and antenna plugs in every room not connected to anything. Local TV is a complete joke, low budget, low quality shite for old people.

MAG250 for live TV with pretty much every channel in Europe and even beyond and Netflix sub for everything else. I torrent any new movies/TV shows I want to watch once at least on HDRip quality.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We ditched the sat when CS died and we are subscribers to all on demand services Netflix prime and so on.
    IPTV is fine but all providers have issues so we also use nzb and torrents for plex media.

If we had shit internet we would have no choice but to use sky tv, but these days minimum £22 is just a rip off.
    Movie channels are repeated to death and way to overpriced.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

piggzy (23rd August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I couldn't rely on tv via internet. I top out at 11Mbit/s which is ok to just about stream HD but it falls over now and then which is a shame because I'd love to cancel my sky.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find the big winner is the user interfaces. My Mrs has only started to be happy with Plex etc, but previously it wasn't great for other sat boxes for free-sat. The Humax box was great but any of the more 'exotic' boxes were a big no no for her. I could see her point though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky's model's days are numbered. With the likes of Amazon and Netflix being touted as possible bidders for the rights to sports as well as entertainment/movies, we'll see a shift away from large subscriptions in a single territory, to a cheaper monthly global subscription. Sky have had it good for far too long, but it's totally unsustainable given the way media is changing.

2 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

DJ OD (24th August 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (23rd August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jumped ship to Netflix, Amazon and Kodi 3 years ago. I still get plagued by the TV licencing people and a have a great collection of the different types of threatening letters they like to send me. I watch terrestrial TV when I visit my mum and I cant believe how bad it's got, it really is utter dross! Strangely, Youtube is probably my most popular media source, I subscribe to a shed load of diverse contributors who pump out great content on a daily/weekly basis.

Ditch the aerial, the revolution will not be televised!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Sky's model's days are numbered. With the likes of Amazon and Netflix being touted as possible bidders for the rights to sports as well as entertainment/movies, we'll see a shift away from large subscriptions in a single territory, to a cheaper monthly global subscription. Sky have had it good for far too long, but it's totally unsustainable given the way media is changing.
    Completely agree and look forward to their desperate offers to cling on to the subscriber base they have... Lower prices, better boxes, freebies, or some other sweetener !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

When we finally ditched sky we had a zegemma h2s and the gui was a replica of sky's so the missus was happy then it all went to shit lmao

Thanks to Teajunkie

stevo25 (4th September 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Completely agree and look forward to their desperate offers to cling on to the subscriber base they have... Lower prices, better boxes, freebies, or some other sweetener !!!
    I have not had any packages from sly or virmin for about 2 years, BBand only & not even a phone line, wife n kids use Netflix & Amazon along with Free view with Plex. that's us covered for everything.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If the missus wasn't hooked on soaps and the kardashians etc I wouldn't have live TV anymore. In fact for around 6 years I had no satellite or aerial and relied on Plex, Netflix and iPlayer for pretty much everything.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

The wife watches soaps on the demand 5 iPlayer and so on.

no real need for live to anymore.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't go as far to buy a new dish, but if there's one up already, I'd use it.

I've just moved house and have bought myself a Freesat box for 'normal' telly. True, I very rarely watch broadcast TV, but it's nice to have the option to flick between channels occasionally for a bit of trash TV or have something on in the background like the news while making dinner in the evening.

Appreciate I could probably set all that up with IPTV or the like. But I'm happy just to download my box sets and movies on the sly and have the Freesat box for any time I feel like a bit of broadcast telly.

But I deffo agree that apart from maybe news and live events, broadcast TV is dying a death.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have about 7 nowtv boxes around the house unused since plex was blocked and I still have the vouchers that came with them for 3 month movies and 6 months entertainment tv trial.
    I might actually dig them out and use the vouchers before sky cancel those too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    I have about 7 nowtv boxes around the house unused since plex was blocked and I still have the vouchers that came with them for 3 month movies and 6 months entertainment tv trial.
    I might actually dig them out and use the vouchers before sky cancel those too.
    Bit off topic, but did all the NowTV boxes get blocked from Plex? I have an origianl old white one at home. Is it just a paperweight?

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you mean the white ones with blue base yes I have the older and new style all junk now.

Thanks to Teajunkie

DJ OD (25th August 2017)