Close

Thread: Iptv 4k

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Iptv 4k

Well I just wanted to ask anyone who has managed to find a iptv provider who provides 4k streams ?
    I'm with a provider who offers 4k movies od
    And a few nfl chans that offer 4k
    I'd imagine this is tge way forward.
    Being that everyone will be demanding 4k stuff !
    Probably the server's would have to triple to cope with the demands.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Iptv 4k

Are they genuine 4K streams? The amount of bandwidth that would be required would be pretty hairy I would imagine. It's not so much the servers power as all it will do it serve a data stream but to play in realtime would muller most ISPs. Netflix and Amazon's 4k streams run at between 15 and 20mbps if I remember correctly and at that speed you will quite quickly eat through a data centres transit allowances.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

The minimum required for 4k using HVEC standard is 12mb, however Netflix streams at 15.6mb/s - but when the source is usually encoded at 50-60MB it's impossible to get the maximum experience.

Depending on your TV you will notice a huge difference in quality compared to a UHD disc or media file. Streaming will push out 5-15MB bit rate but physical media will be well over 60 - and when you have a high end 4k its really noticeable.

There's such a big range in 4k quality right now and it's quite misleading to end users. Here in the states you can buy a 65" 4K panel for $600 now. But you can also get a 55" OLED 4K for $4000. The difference is immense if you know what you are looking for - it's like speakers.

One of the big things to look out for is whether the panel has HDR10 or not. This is a big difference in price - and quality, but you absolutely get what you pay for and isn't some gimmick. Also if you use your tv for xbox or ps4, the cheaper sets will have terrible lag especially when playing online - this is also something to take in to consideration. If you play games like COD, it's easy to destroy folks who are on cheap tv's - its sometimes a 20-30ms difference (I work with the Call of Duty World Championships and provide hardware to help eliminate lag - you'd be amazed how important this is and the difference it makes - here's a brief I wrote for one of our manuals that explains lag and how to minimize it. Scroll down to "Display Lag" http://cronusmax.com/manual/troubleshooting.htm#id_9

HDMI spec is also important now. It didn't used to be but with the advent of 4k and 60fps you can't just use a basic HDMI cable any more. Minimum spec is 1.4 (that'll handle 4k nicely but 30fps max) - 2.0a can take 18Gbps bandwidth and 60fps all day which is primary importance for gaming and some UHD movies.

To be fair, $650 for a 4k 65" set is superb for most people. They've become almost disposable now. All my kids have a 42" ROKU TV (1080p) in every room and they're all connected to a PLEX server and each panel can be controlled from an app so can turn them on/off remotely and monitor what they are watching. They were on sale for $250 (about 175 pounds each) and thats with a BUILT IN ROKU ffs.

I remember paying 16k GBP for 4 x 50" of some of the very first Pioneer plasma panels back in the late 90's - and their RRP was around 12k each. Me and my business partner had one each and sold the other two for 8k each so ours ended up being free. It wasn't even HD back then but they were professional grade monitors (if memory serves they were used at the Millenium Dome and allegedly someone perhaps mislaid an invoice.....or so I was told). It was one of the first sets with HDMI and DVD was the rage (I remember flying to New York in 1999 to buy dvd's that weren't available in the UK. I filled as many suitcases as me and the wife were allowed. Then made a mint selling region 1 mods at Bowlers (so many awesome memories - they were the golden days - the internet has killed all that now, there's no charm or fun in buying and selling that sort of thing anymore.) The Pioneer totally blew the minds of anyone that came around the house to see it. I still have the B&W speakers in storage from when I moved to the US almost 10 years ago (P1's and P3's I think they were - with the sub and center). I think we paid something like 22k for a 5.1 set and they were the best you could get. I'm 100% positive I could hook them up today and they'd still beat the pants of most speakers on the market. (I even think Jase still has much of his kit and uses it to this day (old members will remember him as Morph) Yes, we had way too much money back then lol I wouldn't dream of spending that now, the things you do when you're young with no kids or competence awareness eh? Fun times though.

Note: Its 1:30am and i'm half asleep so not sure if this has made much sense, perhaps i'll edit it tomorrow. I hope it was informative and apologies if I got any specs or info wrong - definitely a fun trip down memory lane though.

3 Thanks given to Raptor

coin-op (3rd February 2018),  muttleymacclad (3rd February 2018),  stevo25 (5th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Rap.
    Interesting reading about xbox lag.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks to muttleymacclad

Raptor (3rd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to Raptor

muttleymacclad (3rd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is probably the hottest seller right now for the budget conscious

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55P607-55.../dp/B06Y6FSV5Q

Not sure if it's available in the UK? But at about 500 quid, you won't find better bang for your buck.

If you look at all the 1 star reviews hardly any of them are about quality - but about faulty units, customer service etc - which is a always a good benchmark for the jungle that is modern TV buying.

You really have to do your homework as there are so many models in the sub $800 range and any of them could be totally shit or totally awesome. But the awesome one might not have HDMI 2.0a and you are buying it for gaming - so is useless. There's so many guys I know who THINK they are playing in 60fps just because the game says it supports that and they have what they think is a fully compatible 4k TV. There's all sorts of trade offs - like refresh rate and contrast and whether it supports Dolby Vision or not. You can even spend $4000 on what you think is the dogs nuts but it may not have the features of a $700 model. You really have to do your homework with 4k - it's not just a case of buying a panel based on it being "4k" and that's it. Shit, even 1080p was a minefield. Everyone pretty much ignored contrast ratio and black levels and they were just as important - if not more so than the 1080p capability. It's amazing how many folks have a 1080p tv but what they are watching is really shit. I hate seeing tech noobs get ripped off. Don't get me started on $50 HDMI cables sold in the high street because it's "gold plated"......You can buy the latest 2.0a for a fiver - and i can buy basic HDMI cables for 1080p 30fps for 75 cents all day (i sell loads on ebay for $3 with free shipping.) and they're genuine branded too. I've seen people by my cables elsewhere for $25 because they are told the quality is better. I loathe that. HDMI cables in big box stores are like concessions at movie theaters where they make no money on tickets but sell $7 popcorn that costs 25 cents. They actually make more money on the hdmi cable than the TV you just bought. True story.

Thanks to Raptor

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't see those tvs in the UK.
    Was looking into a new one as well . Looks a bargain.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is the only eBay listing I would trust - the rest are scammers - DO NOT fall for free shipping deals, they are totally phoney and you almost always get shipped a B grade set

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TCL-5...8AAOSw2LZaa1Yi

Thanks to Raptor

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ha ha. Had just seen that too.
    US based seller.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    Can't see those tvs in the UK.
    Was looking into a new one as well . Looks a bargain.

TCL P series are available in Europe

http://www.tcl.eu/en/

But the serial number is different and they are not ROKU TV's - they're Android so could be a totally different factory/features (btw ROKU TV's a f-ing awesome. Super simple and clean interface with lots of nice tricks (like you can send the audio to your headphones via phone app if you want to watch late in bed and not wake up the mrs. and the menus is super simple and clean - with all the usual apps, plex, netflix, amazon, vudu, hulu, bbc, nbc sports etc etc)

Thanks to Raptor

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just noticed, this is the longest i've been on DF for a couple of years (not counting working on the server and general housekeeping).

I miss the old days. It's all f-ing Facebook and Twitter now. Kinda ruined the "community feel" and the fact that you were part of something that only a select few knew about. It used to have a cool factor. Now any 12 year old has a YouTube channel and thinks they're king tech shit because they can install windows 10 and torrent movie cams.

2 Thanks given to Raptor

muttleymacclad (3rd February 2018),  stevo25 (7th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

also, am I breaking forum rules for resurrecting old threads? lol

2 Thanks given to Raptor

Mickey (3rd February 2018),  muttleymacclad (3rd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, slap yourself with a ban!

This is the closest model to the roku.
    TCL U55 °C7006 139.7 cm (55 Inches) Televisions (Ultra HD HDR10 Triple Tuner, Android TV, by Harman JBL Sound System) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07174M2..._SwwDAbACTJK67

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    also, am I breaking forum rules for resurrecting old threads? lol
    ...not as old as some of the threads I am thinking about resurrecting ? :-)

2 Thanks given to Morph

DejaVu (6th February 2018),  muttleymacclad (6th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Where is the thread with DirtyGirls flange in?

2 Thanks given to BertRoot

Nibb (8th February 2018),  stevo25 (8th February 2018)