Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Furnature fitter damaged OLED TV. What would you do?

Guys just looking for a bit of advice as I don't know what to do. I've moved house and had a local furniture maker create some furniture for me.

One of the things was a floating unit that would sit bellow the TV (to be wall hung)

He was over yesterday and has to rework a surround that will mount the on the wall. So we sat the TV on the unit below, boom the plugs ripped out of the wall and the TVs received a ding to the top corner and appears bent also a small -1" crack to the same corner on the screen.

What should I do? I appreciate that its no ones fault really but if it has to land somewhere its on him.

I really don't want to take money off him, but also appreciate that the TV cost me over £1.5k not long ago and if I ever go to punt it on in future will only get a fraction back due to the damage.

What would you do 'really'?

Cheers,

Devs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Furnature fitter damaged OLED TV. What would you do?

Tough one if you want to keep it amicable but you would assume he has insurance for this sort of things and you may find he is more bothered about keeping you happy than an insurance claim that as far as insurance claims go would be a very small one .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sweet thanks for the help man, I'll speak to him when he's back and see how we get on. Appreciated.

Devs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by devs View Post
    Guys just looking for a bit of advice as I don't know what to do. I've moved house and had a local furniture maker create some furniture for me.

One of the things was a floating unit that would sit bellow the TV (to be wall hung)

He was over yesterday and has to rework a surround that will mount the on the wall. So we sat the TV on the unit below, boom the plugs ripped out of the wall and the TVs received a ding to the top corner and appears bent also a small -1" crack to the same corner on the screen.

What should I do? I appreciate that its no ones fault really but if it has to land somewhere its on him.

I really don't want to take money off him, but also appreciate that the TV cost me over £1.5k not long ago and if I ever go to punt it on in future will only get a fraction back due to the damage.

What would you do 'really'?

Cheers,

Devs.
    From what you say it appears to have been a joint endeavour with you both moving the TV?

Thanks to JonEp

Over Carl (27th September 2017)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

From a legal perspective we have a Legal Section for that sort of issue and all posts should be directed there regarding legal problems

if it was me I would claim on either his or my own insurance

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was going to say he should have professional indemnity insurance if it was his fault but when you say 'we' that might muddy the waters.

What was the problem exactly? Do you mean the wall plugs holding that unit up gave way as the TV was too heavy? I guess it would be down to if he said his work could handle that weight or not. What did he say after it happened, did he take any responsibility? Might be one of those things where you meet in the middle, get a discount on his work and put up with the TV having a defect.

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (27th September 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with the posts above, op does not tell us enough.

As well as the questions asked, I'm wondering if it was the carpenter's idea to check the TV fitted properly or if for example you interupted him mid job as you wanted to see how it would look.

Thanks to Over Carl

Bald Bouncer (27th September 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks very much guys.

Just for clarification, I’m not looking for any legal advice and will resolve the issue simply. I just wasn’t sure what to do as I’m a fair person and didn’t want to be too harsh.

What happened was the fitter turned up with two young lads to help him. They hung the floating wall cab (to house the amp and stuff) and then went on to fix a surround on the wall that would mount the TV. This turned out to be the wrong size and he said that he would rework and return. They proceeded to take this down and ‘they’ placed the TV on the unit whilst doing things.

We were all out of the room apart from one of the young lads and the unit pulled free from the wall fixing causing the TV to fall and get damaged.

The owner accepted responsibility and said that he would 'sort something out’. My question is really what I should be expecting or ask for?

I’d just hate for my new TV to fail in a couple of weeks time.. Is that possible? It appears slightly bent with a crack on the font that does not effect the picture.

Still don’t really know what to do or say. Considering saying that I’ve looked into my insurance and it doesn’t cover accidental (already know it doesn’t) and go on to ask if he has and would it cover..

Cheers,

Devs.

2 Thanks given to devs

JonEp (2nd October 2017),  Over Carl (27th September 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ask him to replace it, and in return let him have the TV with the damage.

Thanks to tips

devs (28th September 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

See what he suggests and if you aren't happy then ask him about his insurance, sounds like he's being reasonable by saying he will sort it, just need to know what he means by that!

Thanks to evilsatan

devs (28th September 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers guys, will do. See how it pans out when he returns. Thanks again.