Fibre 38 vs 76

Thread: Fibre 38 vs 76

  1. koola2's Avatar

    koola2 said:

    Advice Fibre 38 vs 76

    What is the difference between these two when picking a new provider?
    Are they both FTTC and is it just capped if you pay the lower price?

    Tried Googling it and failed!
     
  2. Lestronics's Avatar

    Lestronics said:

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Are you with TalkTalk by any chance? I think it's still FTTC but with two speed option plans and cost obviously. speeds up to 38mb (Fast Fibre) and up to 78mb (Super Fast Fibre) that's how it is sold with TalkTalk.

    Regards
     
  3. piggzy's Avatar

    piggzy said:

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Both are FTTC. You don't get the same with all providers though. For example got the full 80 down, from PlusNet, BT etc, switched to Talk talk and this dropped to 55ish on the same line. They were awful.
    Also you get 20mb upload on the 76 but only 2mb on the 38.
     
  4. Lestronics's Avatar

    Lestronics said:

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Both are FTTC. You don't get the same with all providers though. For example got the full 80 down, from PlusNet, BT etc, switched to Talk talk and this dropped to 55ish on the same line. They were awful.
    Also you get 20mb upload on the 76 but only 2mb on the 38.
    Sounds like you was capped by TalkTalk ! if your line was capable of 80mb then I would have been having a chat with TalkTalk, 80mb is quite high for a copper feed from the cabinet, you must be very close. Speeds can vary depending on time of day and your contention ratios.

    Regards
     
  5. trueblue924's Avatar

    trueblue924 said:

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    they are both the same fttc line it is just a cap put on by your provider some cap at 40mbps bt do 55mbps and you get the full speed on your line onthe 80mbps, uploads shoulbe be up to 10mbps on the slower connection and 20 mbps on the faster connection but not everyline can support the full speeds it will be estimated before you order so you know what you should get and all providers have to give you a minimum guarenteed speed for your line, which is only ever on a wired connection as no provider even guarentees you a wireless connection of any kind.
     
  6. piggzy's Avatar

    piggzy said:

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by Lestronics View Post
    Sounds like you was capped by TalkTalk ! if your line was capable of 80mb then I would have been having a chat with TalkTalk, 80mb is quite high for a copper feed from the cabinet, you must be very close. Speeds can vary depending on time of day and your contention ratios.

    Regards
    No caps at all. Spoke to Talk talk who insisted I was getting the full 76 .. it would vary between 30-60 but more often than not the lower end. Engineers came out then got full speed for a week then shite again. Rinse and repeat.
    Binned em off for BT, and get often in excess of 80MB all of the time. Yes I am a matter of metres from my Cabinet which helps but it goes to show same line means fuck all if you use a shit provider.

    Thousands of similar stories can be found with a quick google about Talk Talk. Some are lucky and get full speed and no issues but they are deffo in the minority.
     
  7. Rhinoz's Avatar

    Rhinoz said:

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Binned em off for BT, and get often in excess of 80MB all of the time. Yes I am a matter of metres from my Cabinet which helps but it goes to show same line means fuck all if you use a shit provider.
    Sounds like Talk Talk contention ratio maybe at it's fullest in you're area.

    If it's not then they could make a loss, that old saying cheaper is not always better.

    Just speculating btw.
     
  8. piggzy's Avatar

    piggzy said:

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoz View Post
    Sounds like Talk Talk contention ratio maybe at it's fullest in you're area.

    If it's not then they could make a loss, that old saying cheaper is not always better.

    Just speculating btw.
    Possible but I would be surprised. I live in a very unpopulated neck of the woods on the edge of a tiny town.
    Having worked in telecoms for years previously particularly for BT Wholesale I know how these things tend to work and as you say they are cheap for a reason and over sell the product but don't buy enough capacity to supply the demand etc