Close

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Fibre 38 vs 76

  1. #1
    DF Jedi koola2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,673
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked:        164
    Karma Level
    244

    Advice Fibre 38 vs 76

    What is the difference between these two when picking a new provider?
    Are they both FTTC and is it just capped if you pay the lower price?

    Tried Googling it and failed!

  2. #2
    DF PiMP Lestronics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    S/East England
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked:        121
    Karma Level
    238

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Are you with TalkTalk by any chance? I think it's still FTTC but with two speed option plans and cost obviously. speeds up to 38mb (Fast Fibre) and up to 78mb (Super Fast Fibre) that's how it is sold with TalkTalk.

    Regards

  3. #3
    DF Moderator piggzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,276
    Thanks
    2,771
    Thanked:        1,454
    Karma Level
    281

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Both are FTTC. You don't get the same with all providers though. For example got the full 80 down, from PlusNet, BT etc, switched to Talk talk and this dropped to 55ish on the same line. They were awful.
    Also you get 20mb upload on the 76 but only 2mb on the 38.

  4. #4
    DF PiMP Lestronics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    S/East England
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked:        121
    Karma Level
    238

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Both are FTTC. You don't get the same with all providers though. For example got the full 80 down, from PlusNet, BT etc, switched to Talk talk and this dropped to 55ish on the same line. They were awful.
    Also you get 20mb upload on the 76 but only 2mb on the 38.
    Sounds like you was capped by TalkTalk ! if your line was capable of 80mb then I would have been having a chat with TalkTalk, 80mb is quite high for a copper feed from the cabinet, you must be very close. Speeds can vary depending on time of day and your contention ratios.

    Regards

  5. #5
    DF PlaYa trueblue924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    yorkshire
    Posts
    948
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked:        142
    Karma Level
    250

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    they are both the same fttc line it is just a cap put on by your provider some cap at 40mbps bt do 55mbps and you get the full speed on your line onthe 80mbps, uploads shoulbe be up to 10mbps on the slower connection and 20 mbps on the faster connection but not everyline can support the full speeds it will be estimated before you order so you know what you should get and all providers have to give you a minimum guarenteed speed for your line, which is only ever on a wired connection as no provider even guarentees you a wireless connection of any kind.

  6. #6
    DF Moderator piggzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,276
    Thanks
    2,771
    Thanked:        1,454
    Karma Level
    281

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by Lestronics View Post
    Sounds like you was capped by TalkTalk ! if your line was capable of 80mb then I would have been having a chat with TalkTalk, 80mb is quite high for a copper feed from the cabinet, you must be very close. Speeds can vary depending on time of day and your contention ratios.

    Regards
    No caps at all. Spoke to Talk talk who insisted I was getting the full 76 .. it would vary between 30-60 but more often than not the lower end. Engineers came out then got full speed for a week then shite again. Rinse and repeat.
    Binned em off for BT, and get often in excess of 80MB all of the time. Yes I am a matter of metres from my Cabinet which helps but it goes to show same line means fuck all if you use a shit provider.

    Thousands of similar stories can be found with a quick google about Talk Talk. Some are lucky and get full speed and no issues but they are deffo in the minority.

    Thanks to piggzy

    greens117 (29th September 2017) 


  7. #7
    DF PlaYa Rhinoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    914
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked:        339
    Karma Level
    126

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Binned em off for BT, and get often in excess of 80MB all of the time. Yes I am a matter of metres from my Cabinet which helps but it goes to show same line means fuck all if you use a shit provider.
    Sounds like Talk Talk contention ratio maybe at it's fullest in you're area.

    If it's not then they could make a loss, that old saying cheaper is not always better.

    Just speculating btw.

  8. #8
    DF Moderator piggzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,276
    Thanks
    2,771
    Thanked:        1,454
    Karma Level
    281

    Default Re: Fibre 38 vs 76

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoz View Post
    Sounds like Talk Talk contention ratio maybe at it's fullest in you're area.

    If it's not then they could make a loss, that old saying cheaper is not always better.

    Just speculating btw.
    Possible but I would be surprised. I live in a very unpopulated neck of the woods on the edge of a tiny town.
    Having worked in telecoms for years previously particularly for BT Wholesale I know how these things tend to work and as you say they are cheap for a reason and over sell the product but don't buy enough capacity to supply the demand etc

    Thanks to piggzy

    Rhinoz (29th September 2017) 


Similar Threads

  1. Fibre availability?
    By TJB in forum DSL or Cable Broadband, Networking & Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th August 2015, 09:44 PM
  2. BT Fibre Availability Dates
    By lloydi in forum DSL or Cable Broadband, Networking & Wireless
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 16th February 2013, 06:28 PM
  3. [REQUEST] Sky Fibre Unlimited PRO
    By macmilm in forum DSL or Cable Broadband, Networking & Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21st August 2012, 01:21 PM
  4. [NEW] SKY FIBre OPTIC
    By greens117 in forum Digital Satellite TV
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 8th July 2012, 02:07 AM
  5. Anyone got Sky Fibre Broadband?
    By lurker in forum DSL or Cable Broadband, Networking & Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th June 2012, 05:30 PM

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •