Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Microsoft gives up on Windows 10 Mobile

Microsoft appears to have abandoned its smartphone operating system ambitions.
    The company's Windows 10 chief has tweeted that developing new features and hardware for the Mobile version of the OS was no longer a "focus".
    Joe Belfiore added that he had also switched to Android himself.
    Windows 10 Mobile tried to attract users by letting them run the same "universal apps" on both their PCs and handsets, but the concept failed to catch on.
    The OS accounted for just 0.03% of the global market - based on smartphone shipments - between April and June, according to research company IDC.
    The market intelligence provider said the news had been a long time coming.
    "There wasn't a wide range of devices running Windows 10 Mobile, so it wasn't attractive to retailers or operators," said IDC's Francisco Jeronimo.
    "And from a consumer perspective, the operating system didn't provide as good an experience as Android or iOS."
    Mr Belfiore began a series of tweets on Sunday by discussing the recent launch of a test version of Microsoft's Edge web browser for Android and iOS - the latest in a series of releases of its core software for rival mobile platforms.
    He then went on to respond to questions about whether there was any point sticking with Windows 10 Mobile.
    He said that while Microsoft would support the "many companies" that had adopted the platform, he had switched to Android for the diversity of its apps and hardware.
    "Of course we'll continue to support the platform... bug fixes, security updates, et cetera," he said.
    "But building new features or hardware is not the focus."
    Mr Belfiore posted Microsoft had tried "very hard" to incentivise other companies to release universal apps - even writing their software for them in some cases - but the number of users had been too low for most to bother.
    The announcement comes a week after HP had said it no longer planned to release further Windows 10 Mobile handsets, and a fortnight after Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates disclosed that he had already made the switch to Android.
    However, some manufacturers - including the UK's Wileyfox and Germany's TrekStor - had unveiled new models powered by Windows 10 Mobile as recently as last month.
    "Most Microsoft applications are now available and supported on other mobile operating systems," said Mr Jeronimo.
    "After Satya Nadella took over [as chief executive], that clearly became the strategy - and after that happened what incentive was there to buy a Windows-powered phone?"
    However, Microsoft may not have given up on powering smartphones altogether.
    Earlier this year, Windows Central reported the company was working on a new version of Windows 10 - codenamed Andromeda - that would run on all types of computer and make it possible for third-party apps to adapt without having to code a special "universal" version.
    It said the OS was due for release next year, but suggested the code would not be offered as an upgrade to existing Windows 10 Mobile devices.
    A spokeswoman for Microsoft was unable to provide further comment.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft gives up on Windows 10 Mobile

I guess its been a long slow death for the phone R.I.P

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shame in a way. It had potential and it just gives less of a choice and them more of a monopoly.
    I also had high hopes for the Ubuntu Phone which also has gone quiet .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Years ago I had the phone with the slide out keyboard on Windows mobile 6.0, Micro$oft neglected that OS and updates were rare, the newer Windows phones were tempting but there was no way I was falling for that again and sure enough they have deserted Windows phone users once again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love my Nokia 950 XL the OS is brilliant but lack of apps is the deal breaker I don't mind too much as usually an equivalent around but for instance with SnapChat not supporting it then thats a massive knife in the back there.

There are rumours about a Surface Mobile still floating about which I hope (I am guessing this will run windows universal if did appear) as really don't want either Apple or Android :-S

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ill still use my 735 as its just what I need
    a Phone that rings I answer it
    a txt come in i txt back

As long as my banking app stays ill keep the phone for the for seeable future
    I lost Surfer dude a while back but I have a better satnav program now that's free and uses postcodes house numbers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I still have my 640 XL but work have agreed to buy me an S8, mainly so i can demonstrate the apps to the staff/students which I cant currently do on my Windows Phone as most apps have vanished.
    I love the phone, it was £165 from new, has dual sim, large display and allowed me to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 (not a massive upgrade in my opinion and you lost as much as you gained).
    Definitely going back to Android now as I am not a huge iPhone fan and theirs not many other options out there.

I was looking into whether or not you could install Android on the Windows phone and theirs been some success but nothing available for my model.
    There is also a Windows 10 phone build out there which supports some Android apps (Download Windows 10 Mobile Build 10240 and enable Project Astoria)
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Nokia are rumored to be bringing out new android phones. If this comes to fruition ill be moving over myself

https://www.nokia.com/en_gb/phones/n...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Mickey; 10th October 2017 at 09:19 AM.