Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sat to IP or are there better distribution options?

Sat to IP, I'm looking to distribute Freesat around the house.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this, I've never really got into the Sat scene so I'm totally ignorant of which are the best forums to find out what I need to know.

The misses has decided we need to move the house round which now means the sat cables I installed years ago are not just in the wrong place but in the wrong room, moving them is not going to be an easy job so I've started looking at alternative options, which may also increase availability around the house.

Sat to IP looks promising but most of the info I've found so far is from 2014 ish, has this not taken off or has it been superseded by something else?
    I see there are dedicated boxes like the Megasat which from the few reviews on Amazon look like they'll do what I want.
    Is a dedicated PC with tuner cards a better option? I don't want it to cost a fortune and ideally would allow at least 3 different users to view whatever they want, being able to record channels and making the recordings available to everyone would be a bonus.

We have a sky dish, an LNB with 4 outputs, only 2 are used at the moment.
    We also have various boxes, android and fire TV, around the house to use as clients if suitable apps are available.

Any help or suggestions appreciated

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sat to IP or are there better distribution options?

What receiver do you have?
    I'm not a sat person but I know there are apps to connect to and control enigma2 sat boxes
    You'll need a tuner for each different channel you want to watch at the same time, if I understand it right, so a triple tuner box should do the whole house and record to a drive connected to the receiver so recordings will be shared too (via a wired network or fast homeplugs)

Plex and IPTV are 2 other options.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the reply, we have a Humax freesat box at the moment which from what I've found doesn't support streaming from the box, I currently have a box connected to the scart which transmits the picture over a TV aerial cable and is distributed around the house, I can control the box with the freesat app, unfortunately we don't even have a TV aerial cable where the TV is now so I cant use that option either without some serious work.
    I've done some more digging and it seems the Germans are the people to watch with Sat to IP, there are various boxes available from Germany, more reading to be done before I take the plunge, if there is a sat receiver which will allow me to stream from it, that might be worth a look as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how about leaving the box in the same room and using a hdmi sender with remote

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mark.tyrrell View Post
    how about leaving the box in the same room and using a hdmi sender with remote
    I'm not sure how well a HDMI sender would work over a Homeplug, there are the wireless ones as well but I remember using the old wires video senders, the remote would not be a problem as I use the freesat app to control the box now.

I've taken the plunge and bought a sat IP box from Amazon.de, set it up over the weekend and so far so good, streaming straight from the box works really well but I had complaints from the misses there was no EPG, that might be sortable on the box but I've not gone there yet, Reading up on all this TVHeadend is a popular server, I've set that up on a VM running Ubuntu, that was a challenge as I've never really used Linux, does anyone know where there is an idiots guide to linux? Anyway I've got evrything running from TVHeadend now and after trying various different clients it looks like Kodi is the best one for what we want, I've still got loads of fine tuning to do, my TVHeadend set up is really messy, loads of channels all the same from different regions and all over the place, also it can see loads of channels which I might want but I cant access them, we've got everything Freesat Could do plus a few more I think, I've still got loads of reading to do but it's getting there.
    Looking at how well this seems to work I'm surprised the take up for sat IP hasn't been greater.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a zgemma h2s and it allows me to view it across my network using openwebif and stream using VLC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the info, SAT IP is looking good for now but it's always good to know for the future, she might change everything round again soon.