Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Should we renegotiate our house offer?

We went to visit a house, we were aware it was fitted with a Back Boiler in the lounge and a water tank for the heating systems.

We knocked a few K off the asking an it was accepted. We've had surveys done, and surveys state that the heating system is over 15 years old, with no certificates for safety at all. At a minimum it will require a flush and a inhibitor fitting.

In all honestly, our plans were to rip it out and fit a new Combi Boiler.

In addition, there is no electrical certificates for the property, and they've had some minor electrical work done (additional lighting circuit and spur socket).

There is some re-flashing work required to the chimney breast and some new rear elevation ridges tiles require pointing.

Now, I'm not arsed about the flashing and the ridge tile re-pointing as that's pretty minor. But I do feel that they should have both an electrical and gas safety certificates.

I'm tempted to say, in order to get a gas cert, you'll need to have a flush and some work done, so to save you that hassle just knock some money off due to the requirement for a new combi boiler and the electrics, I would either insist they present, due to the work they've done, or knock off the cost of a electrical inspection, as I'm going to do some work anyway (more sockets etc)

What would generally be the etiquette or right thing to do?

I only knocked £3k of asking ( house was up for 10 days at the time), and I know she's had an offer accepted on her new house, which she won't want to risk falling through if we pull out?

Advice would be great chaps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Should we renegotiate our house offer?

Your last line says it all, you have her over a barrel so I guess it depends on how much goodwill or future support you might need from the current owner. Personally for the sake of a few grand I wouldn't usually bother because amortised over the lifetime of the mortgage we're not talking about that much. And obviously she now needs to dig around for the missing money if her new mortgage is already agreed based on what she expected from her sale.

Anyway good luck matey
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

BigBrand (20th November 2017),  piggzy (20th November 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

"nd obviously she now needs to dig around for the missing money if her new mortgage is already agreed based on what she expected from her sale"

Hadn't thought of that, I guess that may make her more resistant to renegotiation, although, she knows we stand to lose c£700 if we pull out due to her refusing to have anything done, or to lower her price.

Guess it's tricky to know at this stage, We knew it needed some roof work doing, which is why we were happy with getting £3k off it. But the sting of a £4-£5k boiler isn't too nice but guess we already knew we we're having to do that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok so my not in London price for rewires starts at £2.5k for a very basic 1 bedroom house and then rule of thumb is an extra grand per bedroom. That is for basic couple of double sockets in each room. Light in middle (Normal plastic pendant) and a single switch to operate.....I am telling you this so you can gauge how much a worst case scenario rewire will cost. Add on £50 per spotlight. too and you can see how people end up paying lots for rewiring their property.
    So bear all that in mind.
    As an electrician I do advise you to get a full EICR done before completing. Employ a decent recommended local and don't just take one the estate agent throws at you. It may be the wisest £250 ish you have ever spent mate and may reveal everything is rosy or everything needs doing.
    Not all doom and gloom though as the perfect time to rewire is 1. When it's empty and 2. When you are redoing central heating.
    As to the original point of the question - Screw her for every penny lol.

Thanks to DavidF

BigBrand (20th November 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks mate, my old man is a retired sparky so if needed he'll have me do the labour and he'll provide the expertise and calculations!

I guess paying for the Electric test is worthwhile at this stage, it's just approaching about the boiler system, and a power flush, think i should definitely approach for a reduction in my offer to take that into account.

Thanks
    Karma Level

New boiler isn't £4-5k

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

We bought a three bed semi in 2014 which was similar to yours with no certs, old heating system and dodgy looking wiring - we got £12K off the asking price on our second offer (First of £15K was refused).

Full rewire cost me £2.5K which was everything ripped out and replaced with chases plastered over - fire alarms and outside lights included.
    Local firm checked the heating and after being confident that the radiators and pipes were in good condition replaced the boiler and water cylinder with a Worcester Bosch 28i Jr for £1,200.

Thanks to Brydo666

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Thanks mate, my old man is a retired sparky so if needed he'll have me do the labour and he'll provide the expertise and calculations!

I guess paying for the Electric test is worthwhile at this stage, it's just approaching about the boiler system, and a power flush, think i should definitely approach for a reduction in my offer to take that into account.
    Surely dad can do the EICR lol. Even if he has to hire the test equipment for a day.....A few brews and 1. You know it will be done correctly and 2. It's budgie.....Cheap cheap lol

Thanks to DavidF

Thanks
    Karma Level

I knocked 18k off the price of ours earlier this year and after a survey found damp and got a further 3k off. Always try it on. Fuck follow on support off the vendor. What for?

Thanks
    Karma Level

A saying I remember learning when I was up North, you don't ask, you don't get.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Knock More off
    As a shy kid gets no pudding and if it’s for you it won’t go past you.

I’ll go get my pipe & slippers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Thanks given to jaygo

BigBrand (20th November 2017),  piggzy (20th November 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jaygo View Post
    As a shy kid gets no pudding and if it’s for you it won’t go past you.
    buhahahahahahahahahahahahah
    I shy kid gets no pudding. love it.